pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 2:52pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 5/7/2023 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: BOB FOSSE'S DANCIN' (18.8%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (4.4%), SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (2.6%), LEOPOLDSTADT (2%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (1.7%), MJ THE MUSICAL (0.8%), SHUCKED (0.7%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (0.3%), HAMILTON (0.3%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: GREY HOUSE (-19.5%), CHICAGO (-15.6%), THE THANKSGIVING PLAY (-14.9%), PETER PAN GOES WRONG (-14.1%), NEW YORK, NEW YORK (-12.7%), BAD CINDERELLA (-11.4%), GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR (-11%), WICKED (-8.6%), THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN'S WINDOW (-7.8%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-7.7%), SIX (-6.7%), FUNNY GIRL (-6.6%), THE LION KING (-5.8%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-5.3%), LIFE OF PI (-5.2%), ALADDIN (-4.4%), PARADE (-4.3%), CAMELOT (-3.6%), SUMMER, 1976 (-3.5%), A DOLL'S HOUSE (-3.2%), HADESTOWN (-2.6%), PRIMA FACIE (-2.4%), FAT HAM (-1.6%), & JULIET (-0.3%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-0.2%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 2:56pm

Yikes at Bad Cinderella.

Appears Some Like it Hot has seen a bump from the Tony Nominations.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 5/9/23 at 02:56 PM

JSquared2
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 2:59pm

Nice bumps for SOME LIKE IT HOT and SHUCKED (and DANCIN) !

Updated On: 5/9/23 at 02:59 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:00pm

Majority of shows taking a dip this week. BAD CINDERELLA still managing to avoid a closing notice somehow.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:01pm

Week 1 of Tony noms gave a giant boost to SOME LIKE IT HOT ($115K), and solid boosts to SHUCKED ($69K), GOOD NIGHT OSCAR ($62K), and SWEENEY ($43K). NYNY and SUMMER OF 1976's ~75K rises have an asterisk, since the previous weeks they had comped openings + press.

All the other nominated shows' numbers went down, so we can assume they would have gone down even more with no noms.

Also a nice pre-closing bump of $96K for DANCIN.

$326K would be a bad number for most plays, let alone a musical as massive as BAD CINDERELLA.

pablitonizer
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:03pm

Oh boy that Bad Cinderella's number! it's just getting worse and worse 

Dancin' has improved, most likely people that were rushing to see it before closing right? 

I don't see much future to Life of Pi, could it close in June? 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:04pm

I mean, good for Some Like It Hot, but I still think the Tonys have less and less influence on the box office every year. 

SIX and Hadestown are starting to cool off. 

Massive drop for Peter Pan Goes Wrong, even with NPH. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:08pm

Yikes. That is ROUGH for Bad Cinderella. Closing notice by the end of the week?

Definitely some Tony nom bumps for Some Like It Hot, Shucked and NYNY. Even Kimberly mostly held steady in a week where most shows dropped 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:13pm

I should know this answer, but how much should we blame the weather when you get the first really nice weekend of the spring? Obviously "people will see a hit in any weather" blablablabla, but I can't imagine a lot of casual buyers were looking to spend last weekend inside, and the week leading up to it + previous weekend was miserably rainy several days.

School vacations are over and summer tourism won't start for another week or two. But a lot of these shows can't afford a drop (Kimberly, Leopoldstadt, Fat Ham, etc).

Updated On: 5/9/23 at 03:13 PM

hache2
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:18pm

Agree Shucked and SLIH +/- NYNY gaining some ground from the nominations. Let's see if it persists into June. Rough times for Bad Cinderella and Life of Pi. 

Too early to tell about Hadestown. It may be just a slow few weeks with attendance down and people wanting to see the shows getting awards/nominations. They just released a block of tickets from Labor Day until mid-November (no clue if that actually means anything).

Updated On: 5/9/23 at 03:18 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:19pm

Delightfully surprised sweeney was still able to see a bump despite Groban being out for a performance. I wonder if that a testament to the show being the star and not him, specifically.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

saxpower
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:21pm

Probably I'm missing something obvious, but how can their be 48 shows in 41 theatres?  I can't think of any shows sharing theatres at the moment. 

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:30pm

HOW is Bad Cinderella still running?

These numbers were bad, now worse, and trending to terrible. There's no way this is making any money. Worse still...what hope are these producers holding on to that sales are going to improve?

1. They slid 11.4% in attendance in one week? And now they're playing to just above 50% capacity.

2. The average ticket price is a mere $53?! That's disappointing for any show - let alone a musical. (And a high-budget, "blockbuster" musical at that.) That's less than half of Broadway's current average ticket price at $117. And they can't even get to half of that. Take the plays out of those averages and the disparity gets hilariously worse.

3. This week's total gross was only $326,000?!?! MY GOD for a show in a 1,400 seat theatre that's almost insulting.

Look I'm sure there are people enjoying the performance, and I'm glad these artists are being employed. I sincerely believe the audience can find better entertainment and the artists a better job at one of the other 40 Broadway theatres.

Close the show. Put this show out of its misery.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:33pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I mean, good forSome Like It Hot, but I still think the Tonys have less and less influence on the box office every year."

It sure seems that way. And I hear people say reviews mean less and less, and quote ads don't work anymore, and print advertising is less effective if at all....and so on. So what DOES have influence in this emerging new normal?

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:44pm

pethian said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I mean, good forSome Like It Hot, but I still think the Tonys have less and less influence on the box office every year."

It sure seems that way. And I hear people say reviews mean less and less, and quote ads don't work anymore, and print advertising is less effective if at all....and so on. So what DOES have influence in this emerging new normal?

"

Stars, word of mouth, and luck. 

See Parade: Ben Platt, STELLAR word of mouth, got protested by Nazis and got SOOOOO much free press because of it (it's so awful, but true). 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:45pm

pethian said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I mean, good forSome Like It Hot, but I still think the Tonys have less and less influence on the box office every year."

"

Big-name celebs, familiar material, and iconic brand names. 

For the most part, high art wins Tonys, and high entertainment sells more tickets. Rarely do the two intersect these days...

Oh look, a bibu!

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:45pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "SIX and Hadestown are starting to cool off."

I think you need more than just a couple weeks of data to accurately claim this. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 4:08pm

For the most part, high art wins Tonys, and high entertainment sells more tickets. Rarely do the two intersect these days...

Correct. The Academy Awards gave Best Picture to a brilliant but not popular film. Meanwhile, it was Top Gun: Maverick that brought people back to cinemas and made over a billion dollars. 

Updated On: 5/9/23 at 04:08 PM

DaveyG
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 4:11pm

JSquared2 said: "Nice bumps for SOME LIKE IT HOT and SHUCKED"

But both shows still probably lost money. I wonder if either will make it past Labor Day. 

BETTY22
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 4:52pm

How much money is Shucked, Kimberly and Some Like It Hot willing to invest?

I admire these producers for fighting to save their shows, but at some point we have to remember this is a business. $$$$$$$

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 4:59pm

I'm hoping Kimberly Akimbo continues to do well. Hopefully, once they win big honors at the Tonys, people will pack the Booth theatre like there is no tomorrow!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

JasonC3
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 5:11pm

BETTY22 said: "How much money is Shucked, Kimberly and Some Like It Hot willing to invest?

I admire these producers for fighting to save their shows, but at some point we have to remember this is a business. $$$$$$$
"

Doesn't that point usually come shortly after the Tony Awards?

WestEndGal
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 5:37pm

So many shows with an average ticket price under $100 - gotta be worrying for the shows themselves, but also the industry as a whole. 

charlie525600
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 6:02pm

For the person who asked "How can there be 48 shows in 41 theatres". There were 34 Broadway shows running last week.

saxpower
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23
Posted: 5/9/23 at 6:23pm

charlie525600 said: "For the person who asked "How can there be 48 shows in 41 theatres". There were 34 Broadway shows running last week."

Broadway World's data originally said 48 shows were running (despite listing 34 shows). They have since dorrected it. 

Videos