News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025

Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 2:55pm

I hope it comes to Broadway after :)

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#3Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 3:12pm

Truly truly one of my favorite things I’ve seen EVER.  It’s the absolute perfect musical for me. 

BETTY22
#4Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 4:04pm

This is wonderful news.....

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#5Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 4:09pm

Is it wrong to say that Sondheim's last musical was his best in 20 years?  I appreciate Passion, but I could watch Here We Are over and over in various iterations for forever.  I can't say that about any other Sondheim musical since Assassins (orig: 1990).

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#6Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 4:13pm

Great to hear this show has a future. Hopefully this means it'll be filmed. Would KILL for them to get Rachel Bay Jones back for this. She was the heart and soul of this show. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#7Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 4:15pm

Rachel was perfection and would have been a real contender for the Tony. Isn’t the rumor for London Jane Krakowski?

inception Profile Photo
inception
#8Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 4:26pm

Who is the guy posting this?  I don't see anything connecting him officially to the National Theatre.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#9Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 4:30pm

Watch this show twist and turn its way to Broadway, much like Gatsby: An American Myth will. 

Oh look, a bibu!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#10Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 4:46pm

I loved ‘Here We Are’ and the production at The Shed was more than I could ever have hoped for. A truly life changing experience that I felt I deserved because of my love and obsession with Sondheim’s work. 

But I personally wouldn’t suggest that the score is anywhere near the level of ‘Passion’, or even Road Show (even though I was more entertained by Here We Are ).  The score is serviceable and has its moments but I think the show worked because all the different pieces came together at once. A funny and interesting book with some cooky characters, some brilliant acting, a director who had the vision to make it work despite Sondheim giving up on the piece. Unexpectedly lavish staging. It was just so surprising that we got what felt like a fully fledged show. 

Sondheim showed he can still write a clever lyric, structure complex songs around dialogue, and create a melody or two. But every score before (and including) Passion was a ground breaking new world of sound that he and no one else had ever done before. “I read” is the kind of song that I feel can shake you to your core. I don’t think there is much innovative in ‘here we are’. 

I’m not saying this to bring the energy down of anyone else who thinks otherwise - anyone that is exited over Sondheim’s work should be. And I will be first in line to see this at The National! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#11Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 4:54pm

I do love the score, but David Ives and Joe Mantello should be recognized for this just as much as Sondheim.  Just fabulous work all around.  And it was  Sondheim’s idea. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#12Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 5:45pm

inception said: "Who is the guy posting this? I don't see anything connecting him officially to the National Theatre."

It is gossip. Not an official announcement.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#13Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/9/24 at 5:02am

binau said: " But every score before (and including) Passion was a ground breaking new world of sound that he and no one else had ever done before"

I completely agree (and I know some Sondheim fans STILL dislike Passion, but whatever.)  I think Passion really was the climax (no pun intended given its opening) to Sondheim's great works (and the just under 25 years between Company-Passion are all peak Sondheim.)  In some ways it feels like the culmination of everything he'd done, while being completely unlike everything he's done (including the tonal structure which never closes until the very final chord of the show.)

I'm grateful for the post Passion stuff we've had--including of course Road Show and Here We Are.  And I think they're good shows.  But it was after Passion that Sondheim finally did start to sound self-referential (something his critics used to always accuse him of but previously, I'd say, wasn't remotely true.) 

hearthemsing22
#14Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/9/24 at 8:37am

Why does everything have to go to Broadway? A London transfer (and not even officially announced!) doesn't mean Broadway has to be next. It did perfectly well at The Shed, it's great that there might be a London transfer, and then that's it. Not every single off Broadway show-no matter who the composer is- has to come to Broadway as well. Let it be. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#15Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/9/24 at 8:51am

hearthemsing22 said: "Why does everything have to go to Broadway? A London transfer (and not even officially announced!) doesn't mean Broadway has to be next. It did perfectly well at The Shed, it's great that there might be a London transfer, and then that's it. Not every single off Broadway show-no matter who the composer is- has to come to Broadway as well. Let it be."

And you don’t need to pop up every time somebody on here expresses desire for a transfer or a tour or a movie or whatever and share this same sentiment again and again. Let it be.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#16Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/9/24 at 9:09am

Great staging, but I thought Act 2 was a complete bore. Loved Act 1. And I love Passion and Bounce. I'd be curious to see how this changes for London. I don't think the staging would work in that giant theater unless it's playing the smaller space.

Owen22
#17Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/9/24 at 10:01am

I am in London at the moment and had Sunday roast with a friend who works at the National Theater and it is a guarantee that Here We Are will be playing the National possibly (but not definitely) sometime next year. What is not guaranteed is the casting, but he has heard it may have a lot of the original cast with Jane Krakowski possibly replacing Rachel Bay jones.

Updated On: 9/9/24 at 10:01 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#18Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/9/24 at 10:21am

RE: ranking Sondheim's work --

I'm bad at picking faves to begin with, but when you've lived with one body of work for years and years, and seen multiple interpretations, and studied them, and thought about them, and read Sondheim's own writings on them, it's gonna be hard for me to give this one a fair assessment until more time passes.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#19Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/9/24 at 10:51am

Lucky you, Londoners!  Hope you love it.

I doubt this has a further life in NY, after the initial release of tickets, this was not a hard show to get tickets for, for most of it's run.   It's never going to appease the average theater goers taste (which is fine, I loved it).

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

hearthemsing22
#20Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/9/24 at 11:53am

dramamama611 said: "Lucky you, Londoners! Hope you love it.

I doubt this has a further life in NY, after the initial release of tickets, this was not a hard show to get tickets for, for most of it's run. It's never going to appease the average theater goers taste (which is fine, I loved it).
"

Wasn't the second half based on a movie...I forget which one! What was it? Is it worth watching? 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#21Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/9/24 at 12:18pm

hearthemsing22 said: "

Wasn't the second half based on a movie...I forget which one! What was it? Is it worth watching?"

Both acts were based upon films by Luis Buñuel.  The first act on The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, and the second act on The Exterminating Angel.  I would call them Marxist fairy tales.  I found Here We Are much more entertaining than the films it is based upon.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#22Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/9/24 at 2:48pm

RippedMan said: "Great staging, but I thought Act 2 was a complete bore. Loved Act 1. And I love Passion and Bounce. I'd be curious to see how this changes for London. I don't think the staging would work in that giant theater unless it's playing the smaller space."

I can't imagine the text changing much.  I liked Act II more than I expected but I would try to tighten it up more (cutting as much as ten minutes.)  I get that I'm sure they wanted audiences to get a sense of the ennui (to put it lightly) that the characters are feeling, but...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#23Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/10/24 at 1:46am

The only way I can see this coming back to Broadway is if they book a major star. I'm not sure if christine baranski is that star (she could be, I just don't know what kind of box office pull she has). 

I am also curious about the theatre space - to be honest even though the Shed in theory is 'small' it did feel like a large  cold open box to me and wonder if the show might feel a bit nicer and warmer in a proper theatre. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#24Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/10/24 at 10:07am

jkcohen626 said: "Great to hear this show has a future. Hopefully this means it'll be filmed. Would KILL for them to get Rachel Bay Jones back for this. She was the heart and soul of this show."

Unfortunately for the theater, Rachel Bay Jones is getting a nice network paycheck now as a regular on the Young Sheldon spinoff series. Her availability for any stage work will be very limited for the next few years, most likely.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

TimeToDither Profile Photo
TimeToDither
#25Sondheim & Ives’ HERE WE ARE headed to London’s National Theatre in 2025
Posted: 9/11/24 at 2:09am

I simply loved the Shed production. The writing is extraordinary, of course, but the production itself was very much unlike anything else I've ever seen. I hope that no matter if they go with the same design or something new (and I'm always up for changing things up), the set & tech lives up to the expectations set by the original production.

I agree that I'd see this coming back to Broadway for a limited run only if they book a major star; on the occasion ... how about someone unexpected? My fantasy casting would be led by someone like Renee Zellweger or Marion Cotillard if we can't get the original cast.

Videos