"A Chorus Line' Help, Please...

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#1"A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 8:55pm

I just got the revival recording and I'm puzzled about something...

In the FINALE ("One, Reprise"), are the Ensemble people from the beginning (that we cut first) in it and is the character (the character's name just escaped me) that gets injured, in it? Are they in the finale, or not?

BSoBW2
#2re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 8:58pm

No, just the 19 characters. Paul is the first guy out on stage during the FINALE, followed by Larry (the men come out in a line one at a time).

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...

I haven't seen the show, but from what I understand, they are NOT in the finale.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

#3re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...

no cut dancers in the finale. PAUL is the injured one.

TWSFan4Ever
#4re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:01pm

Thank you. And something's that been wondering: how does the Curtain Call work? Since there's no specific character as the lead...

BSoBW2
#5re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:02pm

The 19 stand in a line doing the high kicks and everything fades out. Then the show is over. It's quite tragic.

TWSFan4Ever
#6re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:04pm

Haha, no bows? Wait...is there even a curtain for this show?

BSoBW2
#7re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:04pm

No curtain, no bows.
Updated On: 12/29/06 at 09:04 PM

TWSFan4Ever
#8re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:05pm

Thank you re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...

So it's kind of like RENT (how it starts)...they just all walk off and then it starts... Updated On: 12/29/06 at 09:05 PM

BSoBW2
#9re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:08pm

Well, it starts with them all dancing at the mirror (like on the CD).

Lights come up on the actors already on stage.

TWSFan4Ever
#10re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:10pm

Oh, ok, so the theatre lights dim off and then the stage lights come on revealing them?

BSoBW2
#11re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:12pm

Preset
House 1/2
House Out
Actors to places
Music/Stage up

TWSFan4Ever
#12re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:13pm

Thank you!

Haha, I guess that means they don't even ask the audience to make sure their cell phones are off? Updated On: 12/29/06 at 09:13 PM

BSoBW2
#13re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:16pm

I think there was an announcement before the show started. I was not exactly working off a prompt book when I wrote that list.

TWSFan4Ever
#14re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:18pm

Haha, ok, thanks for all your help re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...

When I don't have a chance of seeing a show anytime soon, I get curious about how the show's set up.

TWSFan4Ever
#15re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:56pm

Also, when you enter the theatre, do they have the stage set-up so it's completely turned to the black side of the rotating thing and then when the theatre blacks out and the stage lights come on revealing the cast dancing, is it turned to the mirror?

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#16re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 10:02pm

As I recall the finale I saw in LA in '77, the line comes out from the side and each dancer gets a quick bow as they enter, but it looks like part of the dance, not a bow - so it's a curtain call that's not a curtain call.

BSoBW2
#17re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 10:09pm

It's on the black side and turns when the cast moves to places.

neddyfrank2
#18re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 10:13pm

When you enter the theater the whole stage is dark except for I remember a TINY TINY light on a chair (I saw it in previews in San Fransisco), but I might be making that whole part up.

When they come out in the line in the finale of ONE, one at a time that is their bow.

The show starts with the stage lights coming up and they are already dancing on stage with the music. From that point on the lights never go down and a curtain never closes.

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#19re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 10:16pm

this was all very intentional on the part of Michael Bennett. the show isn't meant to have any sort of curtain call, and having the lights fade out on the kick-line is to imply that it is its own entity apart from the people who comprise it- something that literally never stops. the idea of the number is to re-introduce the characters you've come to know and identify with as unrecognizable members of a chorus- which is of course the goal of their pouring their hearts out for 2 hours. It's all about uniformity in the end, and all of that unnecessary individualism has been melted away. Bennett envisioned the number as much more thought-provoking and disturbing than most give it credit for. He wanted audiences to have trouble identifying their favorite characters beneath their hats, amidst the glitz and glamour of the big production number. He wanted them to leave with a new appreciation for anonymous chorus dancers, to see them as 3 dimensional characters despite their onstage function of being all the same.

as for the logistics, the lights dim and there is a pre-show announcement. then it fades to complete black (no doors or flashlights allowed during the black; in the original they actually got permission to turn off the exit signs for this part) as the cast assumes their positions mid-audition, which is where they are when Zach's "again" cues the lights back on and the action continues. there's no curtain whatsoever.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

Updated On: 12/29/06 at 10:16 PM

neddyfrank2
#20re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 10:20pm

Also adding on to what BroadwayMatt said I belive that their is no curtain call or curtain or orchestra pitt or intermission for the same reason. Because he never once wanted you to remember you are watching a show he wanted to take you to this audition- In an audition there would be no orchestra pitt, or curtain, or intermission, or bows. From the minute you walk into the theater to the minute you exit you are watching an audition. If you think of the show itself as a character- it stays in character from start to finish, not once does it break character bringing you back to reality.

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#21re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/29/06 at 10:38pm

yep, neddy is spot on. it all serves the same purpose of fulfilling Bennett's vision. in various earlier drafts of the show there were actually some book scenes and different settings, and Cassie even had a later entrance at one point. there was an overture too. this all went away when it became clear that realism and momentum were the way to go. so the pit, which was present in the original, was concealed from sight. in this revival, the orchestra is downstairs in a room completely separate from the house.

the "character" analogy is very appropriate. the show is in character throughout, all the way until Zach announces his decisions. at that point it does break character for the finale, in the sense that what you're seeing isn't connected to what has taken place earlier. it is a display of the sort of job these dancers are all aspiring to- it is "a" number from "a" show not necessarily having anything to do with the audition we've just watched. we see these familiar dancers reappear, even the ones who didn't get the job, and it doesn't matter who they are at this point. all that matters is that they are a part of the line and are not pulling your eye from the full picture. one original idea they considered on how to stage the number was to have them dancing around a spotlight, which was to signify the nameless "star" they were highlighting.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

Updated On: 12/29/06 at 10:38 PM

TWSFan4Ever
#22re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/30/06 at 8:23am

Thank you all SOO much!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#23re: 'A Chorus Line' Help, Please...
Posted: 12/30/06 at 10:25am

Personally I love the way it's done...

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Videos