News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Broadway Matt

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Member Name: Broadway Matt
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.playbill.com/news/search/?keyword=&feat_loc=&Writer=147&x=11&y=1
Blog Address:
Occupation: Playbill Online Assistant (photo and editorial) / Playbill Arts Webmaster

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Les Miserables CSR Performances
 Aug 21 2008, 12:57:46 AM
It's very possible. The tour experimented with some interesting casting in its early days.

For instance, my first LES MIZ was in Cupertino, CA in 1993. Valjean was Dave Clemmons (yes, the casting director) and Javert was Chuck Wagner, who remains among my favorites. In the ensemble of the show at that date were a young Sarah Uriarte (no Berry yet) and Brian d'Arcy James.

re: Les Miserables CSR Performances
 Aug 21 2008, 12:50:26 AM
First off, Quast is one of the best performers on the musical theatre stage in the last 20 years. He may not be quite known for his dancing but his Javert, Neville Craven (SECRET GARDEN), Archie Craven (other SECRET GARDEN), George Seurat, Miles Gloriosus and Emile are second to none. So bravo on that point.

Gary Morris played Valjean onstage twice. He was one of the first replacements on Broadway, in 1987. He later played it again in LA, 1991.

re: Am I the Only One...
 Aug 10 2008, 07:08:52 AM
winston, hah I've had enough ranting to last awhile. I agree that what it comes down to is universal themes, which gives the show the potential to connect with just about anybody. The question is, to what degree? If I were to choose between the Latin element and the NY element in terms of an outsider's ability to relate, I'd say the NY thing is more problematic. I'm not saying you have to know the city in order to enjoy the show but I do think you lose more by not having any NY experience than
re: Am I the Only One...
 Aug 10 2008, 02:18:19 AM
I'm sorry, I try to refrain from these long posts but I can't help it with this one. Consider this my yearly preach rant. If you were around back in 04-05 I'd bang out a few of these a day!

This claim is just ludicrous on so many levels and, in its own way, racist and ignorant in itself.

Let's assume for a moment that this person had a valid point in arguing that this is a quintessentially Latin show that only pertains to their particular struggle- which is n

re: WHITE CHRISTMAS MARQUEE ALREADY UP..WOW
 Aug 9 2008, 09:59:30 PM
It is a bit on the long side but it didn't feel like it to me. The book felt pretty true to the film, maybe a bit clunky but appropriate for the genre. It's all about the musical numbers, which are glorious and numerous. Wonder who they will cast. Obviously BDJ can't do it- maybe Bogardus. Broadway needs some Bogardus, and he's got a few productions of the show under his belt. I wouldn't be surprised if they got a few of the original leads, maybe Anastasia or Denman if they're free.
re: ACL student rush recently?
 Aug 9 2008, 03:32:36 PM
the show was totally sold out all week but there was a decent amount of rush sprinkled in there. no idea how early people showed up. today's matinee was only at about 85% and a lot of it was rush and TKTS
re: WHITE CHRISTMAS MARQUEE ALREADY UP..WOW
 Aug 9 2008, 03:30:37 PM
it's about time this one made it to Broadway. I caught the world premiere in SF, 2004, and think it's probably the best legit Xmas musical out there. Nothing against GRINCH but no Broadway show at Broadway prices should have 11 performances a week. WHITE XMAS is the real deal.
re: PHOTOS: 'Sweeney Todd' at Sac Music Circus w/Jacoby
 Jul 30 2008, 04:40:17 AM
I have to admit, I thought it was a girl, too. Can't find much on him except a few TV credits.

I would have loved to still be living in the Bay Area this summer, lots of shows I'd endure the nasty Sacramento drive to see. My last was PIMPERNEL in 2004.

This is a SWEENEY I would have been interested to catch, and I've really had my fill of the show for the most part. Having seen George Hearn, Stokes, Norm Lewis and Cerveris (he was good but I did not care for the John D

re: Jessica Lee Goldyn: ACL Revival's Final Cassie?
 Jul 25 2008, 06:19:30 AM
yep I was there for this one, Jessica was gettin it done! Her athleticism really lends itself to the dance.

As far as sales go, we've been pretty much full every day except Sunday, oddly enough. Mostly sell-outs w/ SRO during the week, then almost full Saturday, with a huge drop-off for both Sunday shows. I'd recommend that as the day to try for rush or TKTS.

New Connie went on for the first time tonight and was very good. I don't know the contract situation but J Elaine sa

re: PHOTOS: 'Sweeney Todd' at Sac Music Circus w/Jacoby
 Jul 25 2008, 06:15:18 AM
yeah they really made sure to snap a lot of production shots for this one. it's hard with Music Circus since each show only runs for maybe 5-6 days before they bring in the next one. The SWING pics are available but I'm really lookin forward to those Julia Murney EVITA shots. Makes me miss the Bay Area, tho Sac-town in August is pretty rough
 Jul 23 2008, 08:30:58 PM
I wasn't there today, but I seem to remember a slight line change with regards to the age issue when Jessica went on last Friday. Instead of "You got out of the chorus when you were 19" (I think it's 19, my attention goes in and out) the line was "You got out of the chorus years ago..."

A TaLE OF TWO Performances: The New Marquee, Concept CD & More.....
 Jul 23 2008, 08:21:42 PM
I don't think it's quite fair to compare every new pop historical tuner to THE PIRATE QUEEN. The era might be past and you all may very well be right. It's going to be a hell of challenge to cover the overhead on this one, but maybe I'm just trying to be an optimist for once. I appreciate the work and time that has gone into it and was more impressed from Day One than I am with most of the stuff they put out there. In any case, it's something different at this point in time. Clearly Broadwa
re: The NEW Marquees Thread :
 Jul 23 2008, 04:36:04 AM
glad u like the pics. it's a hard marquee to shoot cuz of all the trees. plus there was a lot of crap piled up for load-in.

I havent been reading the boards or following the discussions about this show, but I just want to say that this is one of the few things I've sincerely been looking forward to for quite some time.

The only new musicals I've really loved recently have been HEIGHTS and PASSING STRANGE. Oh, and IRON CURTAIN but t

Jul 23 2008, 03:45:21 AM
I havent updated the lists on the site yet, but this week's Playbills for the show indicate the departure of Heather, Jason Sands (who joins CHICAGO) and E Clayton. It lists Lyndy as Judy for this week and Kurt Domoney as Don. Doesn't mean it will turn out that way but that's what the Playbills will say.
 Jul 19 2008, 03:05:39 AM
I can't confirm or deny anything, because I don't know for sure what the situation is. What I can say is that Charlotte is not scheduled to perform Friday or Sunday evenings, Nadine is no longer with the show, and Jessica did in fact go on as Cassie tonight for the first time. Was anybody else there? I don't feel comfortable posting a detailed review, but I really thought she was fantastic. I've seen the show several hundred times now so I can't be objective. It's always exciting to see som
re: Photos from the Play 'Spring's Awakening' in LA
 Jul 10 2008, 03:05:38 AM
something I found extremely interesting when I was putting this together. I did a search for the original german title and one of the top results was an NY Times review from a 1917 (while Wedekind was still alive) production of the play that some hack translated into English. Among those in attendance at this press opening was Emma Goldman- to give a little context as to how long ago this was! It is quite possibly one of the most negative reviews I've ever read, and I've little doubt this par
re: New Playbills for Season 2008-2009! featuring TOS, Hair, SAB & Damn Yan
 Jul 10 2008, 02:54:03 AM
Lookin' good fellas! The feeling is mutual I'm sure Obviously it's a slow period right now but expect a whole slew of new ones once this season gets underway. I'm lookin forward to seeing what we get for TALE OF TWO CITIES next month

re: Saved PLAYBILL
 May 23 2008, 04:36:42 AM
hey I'm busy!!! it takes a few days sometimes Lots goin on, but I always welcome PM's and emails as reminders. Happy Tony Season btw
re: A Chorus Line cast changes
 Apr 4 2008, 01:19:28 PM

re: Songs that never get old for you.
 Mar 28 2008, 11:09:09 PM
I've spent a good amount of time working out to "Lot's Wife" from CAROLINE. Not the first thing you'd think of, but it's got a nice beat
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You