Our Leading Lady

thenewmoon
#1Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/22/07 at 2:11pm

Does anyone have any inside buzz on "Our Leading Lady" other than the general press material? I think it looks like it might be interesting, and I wonder how Busch is treating the material (as a "history" play or more as a human drama... or comedy?)
I have one empty show-seeing slot for my trip to NY next weekend, and it's either Grey Gardens or Our Leading Lady (I know, sounds like weird choices... they aren't mine!), so I'm trying to weigh my options as the date approaches...

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/22/07 at 2:52pm

I'm seeing it this Sunday afternoon at 2:30pm. I'll let you know how it is!

Yankeefan007
#2re: Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/22/07 at 3:00pm

I was wondering about it, too. Busch is synonimous with light comedies, so I really can't imagine him doing something heavy.

seymour krelborn Profile Photo
seymour krelborn
#3re: Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/23/07 at 7:57pm

does anyone know the running time of this? i've searched everywhere and can't find it. Thanks.

#4re: Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/23/07 at 8:02pm

this is a show i'd like to see!

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#5re: Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/23/07 at 8:02pm

"Our Leading Lady" is also one of the shows I might see when I come to NYC the first week of April (I already have tix for "Curtains" and "Grey Gardens") I would like to hear more about this show.
Updated On: 2/23/07 at 08:02 PM

neddyfrank2
#6re: Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/23/07 at 8:39pm

n69n- Did you do an illustration for Follies?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#7re: Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/25/07 at 5:59pm

Saw OUR LEADING LADY this afternoon and I must say, this is a fantastic play. I was completely engaged the entire time and would highly recommend this to anyone.

As the press releases have stated, it is about an acting troupe who is rehsearing for a play to be put on at Ford's Theater on the night Abrahan Lincoln is shot. Act 1 focuses on the rehsearsal period and the actual performance, while Act 2 is mainly about the aftermath of the tragic evening.

One of my main motivations to see this play was because Maxwell Caulfield - who played Harry Hawk - was in it (and he is so hot). However, he is not really that good looking in this play - I hated his wig - and his acting was much better in Tryst. Even though I was kind of disappointed with him, the rest of the actors really surprised me.

It was thrilling to see Barabra Bryne on stage (the original Baker's Mother in INTO THE WOODS), who was fantastic as Maude Bentley. Another mention should go to Kristine Nielsen as Verbena De Chamblay, who owned her scenes and has a very commanding stage presence.

To recover from a horrible, dismal musical flop and come back with the performance she gave this afternoon, Ann Duquesnay deserves a lot of praise. She was absolutely brilliant as Madame Wu-Chan (she kind of has a dual role and is fantastic as both characters, but I don't want to give it away). She also has a hilarious short monologue in Act 2 that got some nice applause from the audience...it was hilarious. I was extremely impressed with her performance.

And finally, Kate Mulgrew as Laura Keene, the leader/director of the acting troupe, was fabulous. She carries the show and is spectacular with all of her line deliveries and her characterization. Congrats to the cast and crew and I hope it gets rave reviews. If you can get a ticket, Charles Busch's OUR LEADING LADY is definitely worth your time and money. Enjoy!

thenewmoon
#8re: Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/26/07 at 10:59am

Thanks very much for the review. I really aprpeciate it. :)

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#9re: Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/26/07 at 12:07pm

I bought a ticket for March 11. There's a discount code on Broadway Box, for those who are interested. Sounds wonderful, and some of my friends who have already seen it are saying that Mulgrew is giving a performance akin to Julie White in The Little Dog Laughed...the kind that isn't soon forgotten.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#10re: Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/26/07 at 12:16pm

Great to hear! I'm a big fan of Kate's, and thought she was breathtaking in Tea At Five.

WickedMuzzy422 Profile Photo
WickedMuzzy422
#11re: Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/26/07 at 2:20pm

running time is about two hours and ten mintues. there's a fifteen minute intermission.

"Labels are for cans, not for people." --anthony Rapp

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#12re: Our Leading Lady
Posted: 2/26/07 at 5:04pm

More and more this is sounding like a show I have to catch when I'm in NYC the first week of April. I've always admired Charles Busch as a writer and actor and I think Mulgrew is an outstanding performer.