pixeltracker

Pirate Queen 4/4 mat - Kathy Voytko as Grace

Pirate Queen 4/4 mat - Kathy Voytko as Grace

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#1Pirate Queen 4/4 mat - Kathy Voytko as Grace
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:27pm

I decided that I would go see Pirate Queen today. It's not as bad as everyone seemed to make it out to be. I had pretty good seats, row A on the side. Bless those student rush tickets.

Visually, the show is absolutely stunning. The sets and costumes are gorgeous. I can see Tony nods for both Eugene Lee and Martin Pakledinaz. The sets are big and vibrant without being over the top spectacle (IMO).

The music, for the most part, is very good. There was the occasional clunker ("Boys Will be Boys", anyone?), but it didn't really interfere with the telling of the story.

The choreography is fantastic. I love Irish step dancing, and it was absolutely gorgeous. It kind of made me want to restart my search for step classes. (Once a dancer, always a dancer I guess).

The cast is outstanding. I was really disappointed when I found out that Kathy Voytko would be going on as Grace, but she was wonderful. She said this was her third time going on. I'd love to see her, say, six months from now. She's amazing. Although there were a few small points where she sounded a little shrill, her voice is gorgeous. She's also a sensational actress. She really made you feel for Grace throughout her whole journey. She captured Grace's stubborn, fiery spirit, as well as the more emotional points. I'm going to make another trip to see Stephanie, but I'm so glad I got to see Kathy.

Speaking of "shrill," Linda Balgord. She's a fine actress, but her voice got on my nerves. It was also a bit difficult to understand what she was saying. She was my only real quibble about the show.

On a much more pleasant note, Hadley Fraser as Tiernan. I can't say enough good things about him. His voice gave me serious chills. "I'll Be There" was absolutely gorgeous. He's a great actor as well. His chemistry with Kathy was perfect. I will also mention that during "A Day Beyond Belclare," when he tells Donal O'Flaherty, "Whatever you do, remember that I'm watching you!" I was afraid for Donal. Haha. You could tell that he really cared for Grace.

Jeff McCarthy as Dubdhara was fine. He's not given a whole lot to work with. "My Grace" was a sweet little song. "Dubdhara's Farewell" made me cry (as well as "Sail To The Stars"). Jeff and Kathy made the scene work.

Wow, that was kind of long. Pirate Queen 4/4 mat - Kathy Voytko as Grace I'll just sum it up by saying that I hope everyone will give Pirate Queen a chance.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2re: Pirate Queen 4/4 mat - Kathy Voytko as Grace
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:43pm

Great review! Although I guess Im one of the ones who didn't give it a chance, since I didn't see it while i was in NYC.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#2re: Pirate Queen 4/4 mat - Kathy Voytko as Grace
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:52pm

muscle's pic is nice hehe

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#3re: Pirate Queen 4/4 mat - Kathy Voytko as Grace
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:55pm

Tnks!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

AlexandraDecker
#4re: Pirate Queen 4/4 mat - Kathy Voytko as Grace
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:17pm

Alright, may I preface this by saying that I'm NOT picking on anyone? I don't want a feeding frenzy over this.
-Thankyou
I just think that it's awful entertaining that when someone posts a logically critical, but over all positive review of this show ONE PERSON responds with something remotely related to the show to say. However if someone posted a nasty review that panned the show in the oh so common "I'm-a-theatre-snob-and-I-am-so-much-better-than-you" kind of way it would be a massive thread with much bashing of the show by people who just didn't find their cup of tea in this particular show. But seriously, is no one willing to give this show a chance? I know that I probably will providing that it's still up and running when I make my trip to NYC in June.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: Pirate Queen 4/4 mat - Kathy Voytko as Grace
Posted: 4/14/07 at 2:23pm

We saw it last weekend with Kathy in it

Both she & the show were very good. We look forward to the cast album

Poster Emeritus

Videos