pixeltracker

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with stage door photos)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#1Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with stage door photos)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 4:34pm

E1
Xanadu : the Musical
at the Helen Hayes Theater (6/17 matinee show)
On this performance : Curtis Holbrook as Sonny Malone, Marty Thomas as muse/young Danny) 1 hr and 30 mins without intermission.

Score : 10/5

SPOILERS ******

"Xanadu" is a musical that is either you "like it " or "not" There's nothing in between. You'll either go home having a blast or hating the show. My Report will include my visit on Xanadu last June 17. Sunday at Matinee Performance, and it will include my personal experiences and interaction with the cast (it may also include audience reactions, distractions, comments by other people bec. this is a part of the entire
experience in seeing a musical)

Here are the 10 Things I like about Xanadu (out of 10- perfect score Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with stage door photos) )
1. The Score (The Music) by Jeff Lyne & John Farrar- The music is really good. yes it is taken from a movie soundtrack but it really worked well into the musical. A very good example is "Strange Magic" - this is the scene where the two muses put a spelled on Kira & Sonny. "Evil Woman" the evil plans of the two jealous sisters& "Have You Ever been Mellow ? " (convincing Zeus to forgive Kira)

2. The Band- The best sounding band youll ever hear on Broadway right now..
have I mentioned.. they are also "muses " (sisters nine- very clever!)

3. "I'm Alive" opening number: Sonny Malone drew the mural on the ground (there's a circular mirorr half tilted above him and facing the audience ,so the audience can see what he drawn. As the muses came "alive".. (by group of three's except Kira...) on the mural painting, the outline of their bodies glow (blue light) as they simultaneously appear on an elevator stage... this opening scene is very creative indeed...its hard to explain in detail (one must see to understand it) - this is the problem (i think ) for people seating onstage, I dont think they can see the whole transformation of the muses ( bec. they are facing the audience and basically a background )

4. Kerry Butler- I must admit, I had prejudices against her seeing in the role of Kira
before I seen the show.. I personally prefer Jane Krakowski..When I saw her yesterday.. I was 100 % convinced that she was perfect for the role. Her interpretation is soo over the top. Its very funny ! She sounded like Olivia Newton John. Her over the top "breathy" performance - did not bother me at all . As a matter of fact , everytime she did her "breathy" rendition. I was laughing.. specially in
"Suddenly"..look at me !!! (so funny- this is one thing that probably would annoy other people. Chris did not really like her doing that so much, but I love it. On
her Australian Accent/Southern Accent & Normal Accent- she is more stable yesterday. One must realized, that she only puts her Australian Accent only when she is speaking to Sonny Mallone , when she talks to the muse - she puts back her regular accent and also when she's in monologue or talking to the audience , eventhough Sonny was there with her on stage ( I guess. I think that's why some people thought before that she was in & out of her accent) and lastly...as I mentioned earlier when I met her ..she was really nice and to everyone outside the theater after the show. She was happily taking autographed and posing with fans. It may sound strange, but sometimes this contributes to your opinion about your experience after the show.

5. Curtis Holbrook- I was really suprised how good he was as Sonny Mallone. I cannot really imagine him as a "girly" muse that Marty Thomas did. His Sonny Mallone is like "Keanu Reeves' hey dude ! in Bill & Ted Adventure" version. Its really a treat to see him as Sonny Mallone. He's got the most fabulous legs on Broadway right now specially in that black short/short Xanadu finale. (yup ! I must admit now that NPH would not it into Sonny Mallone's shorts--another thread) BTW- He is a very down to earth guy in person.

6. Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman- Let's cut this short or else I will spoil the Les Miz joke , okay ?? --All I can say is.. "If your a gay guy and you dont love them...youre probbably not gay at all ! " (who in this world cannot love these two women? - they stole the show though Kerry Butler can really hold up against this two divas) Everytime these two women were onstage- the stage were on fire !
BTW- I told Mary Testa that she is my "muse" ! though I did not catch Jackie Hoffman outside.

7. Andre Ward- as Tersicore, Hermes & Centaur- again I cannot imagine him as
Sonny Mallone. This guy personally stamped all the role he performed yesterday and I cannot imagine him as anything but those roles. Who can forget him as Hermes saying, ...."B*tch .. I dont know your life ? " ... that's so hilraious and that will be my new motto form now on...and his Centaur...he's so hilarious with that prancing..BTW someone said on another thread the two muse guys were playing female roles.. I did not see it as that..I thought of them as "sistahs" , instead of sisters...(why not ? homosexual artist need male muse too ! )

8. The costumes : Now someone learned a valuable lesson here- not to judge something based on pictures only -without seeing it in person-- and that's me !
Its like when you saw something in a catalog and did not like it , but when you saw it a store -- it completely swayed you and you bought it right away . I think on an earlier thread- I attacked it . You know- I think I really changed my mind after I saw the show . I was sitting on ORC row K and the muses' costumes looked fabulous. The muses gown were pretty . The color, the fabric, the rhinestones... and I like Marty Thomas dress or "toga" if you insist ! I like the blue underlying garment above that white flowing fabric toga and its a mini skirt ( I gotta get one of those ) so this is the one that Curtis regularly wears (when he was a muse) huh ? Though I will stick with my initial opinion about Tangerine's dress . Its awful ! BTW- They have more costume changes than these...

9. Douglas Carter Beane's book - Basically Xanadu is a amalgation of Xanadu the movie & Clash of the Titans... DCB really improved the horrible movie, he basically changed everything which I think some hardcore Xanadu the movie fans will not like it. I like the part where the muse left in 1980's --as the year -inspiration left art !
hmmm.. so that's why we got stucked with Andre Lloyd Weber, Schoenberg & Boubil musicals in the 80's ..Some of the jokes were really funny and some were not (which will be on my 10 things I dont like) The Achilles' heel and Leg warmers joke is funny too.

10. Its just silly ! - One must realized this is not Stephen Sondheim.. Its Xanadu..!
so just relax. I came without any expectations and I enjoyed the show. Before I came to the show. I knew what was I going to see.. Its not Grey Gardens, Its not Spring Awakening. Its not Light in the Piazza. If I wanted a show with depth .. I will revisit
(my favorite) "Grey Gardens" again.

5 Things I Did "Not" Like about Xanadu : (Out of 10)

1. Douglas Carter Beane book- I love DCB- Some of the jokes in Xanadu
were funny & witty but some were just "stale". (like.....Scientologist..So youre a Catholic? -mentioned 2X, you make me feel I can go to downtown LA without a weapon & 35 yrs from now when a young man come thru your door ..) this is subjective on a person's taste- i just find some other jokes were not funny at all.

2. "Dancin' number- I thought they could done a better job with this one..

3. "Xanadu" finale number- I felt like this number was not that well chreographed..There were parts that were strong , but somehow the last part was a little weak, when it come to dance number- I was expecting a "grand" dance number
at the end ...reminescent of the movie , though I like the 100 + disco ball..but somehow I felt like I really did not get that ala .."Hairspray" finale with a bang !

4. The Stage- Im kinda not feeling the onstage seating..I felt like they could have use the extra space for extra staging and effects. The whole Greece ruins could have been eliminated but again..where are you going to put the band? Something is lacking in the stage and I cannot really pinpoint it..

5. The Prologue " Sonny's Mural- its kinda awkward.. Sonny came on stage painting the mural on the ground.. and then there were people being seated on stage. People infront of me being seated, The lights were on & the Stage Manager is running around the orchestra. I felt so distracted with the whole uncoordination before the actual "I'm Alive " number..

6. (not included in my list ) I missed Curtis Holbrook's tap dancing as Young Danny
bec. he was playing Sonny Malone . Marty Thomas did not do the tap dance part in "Whenever Youre Away"- I guess you cant have everything !

Basically. I can only think of 5 things I really dont like about Xanadu and I completed
my 10 things I liked about the show. The audience seems to have a great time after the show. Some people have seen the show 7 times already. Its a very campy musical I can see why one would critize it as "trying so hard " to be campy . All I can say for Xanadu is- I hope the best for you guys ! and break and leg ! on your opening night on July 10.

To Everyone- Thanks for your time reading this loooong report and sharing my experience with Xanadu !

J*

The Pictures

Xanadu at the Helen Hayes Theater

me holding the Xanadu playbill

Chris & I

Me & Kerry Butler

Me & Curtis Holbrook

Me & my muse-Mary Testa

Curtis Holbrook & Chris

Updated On: 5/14/08 at 04:34 PM

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 4:51pm

I have been anxiously waiting for your review,considering all your other posts leading up to this past weekend.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 5:03pm

Fantastic!!!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 6/18/07 at 05:03 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#3re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 5:53pm

Curtis Holbrook is just adorable. Great review, and thanks for sharing your pictures.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#4re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 7:37pm

Thanks and finally I am done !

J*

muscle23ftl
#5re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 7:39pm

Curtis is just too hot.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#6re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 7:41pm

muscl-BTW- per Curtis he reads BWW.

J*

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#7re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 7:47pm

Thanks for the review! can not wait for Saturday when I finally get to see it!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Updated On: 6/18/07 at 07:47 PM

muscle23ftl
#8re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 7:51pm

Well, there I said it, Curtis you are hot!

and by the clips I watched, very talented, no wonder how he got cast in Fosse.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#9re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 8:36pm

Also, "Evil Woman" and "Have You Ever Been Mellow" are not from the XANADU film score/soundtrack, though they were originally performed by ELO and Olivia Newton-John respectively.

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#10re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 8:42pm

oh yeah I definitely saw you jay...my head is in your pic with Kerry Butler lol..right behind Kerry's to the left of the woman with the red hair

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#11re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 8:58pm

Where were your seats, Jaystarr?
Would sitting close be better than farther back?

Thanks

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#12re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 9:23pm

Thanks for asking that-- I remember something-- I did not like our seat which is
ORchestra K (Right ) Seats 7/5 -- I was not able to see the band which is located on the STAGE Right (very right ) _ I am not gonna add that on my 10 List I did not like bec. its really minor !

Try to get Center either Orchestra or Mezz.. The theater is very small & intimate.

I definitely wont recommend getting on stage seating bec. you wont see most of their facial reaction- which is very funny ! Unless youre seeing this on your 5th time and want to seat onstage-- Most of the time -- youll see the actor's back..Someone posted about onstage hand gesture on Magic number -- I did not see any hand gesture except :

SPOILER *******

the score card that the muses raises.. basically the only time the onstage audience participated was the Xanadu number- they just held a neon lights....

J*
Updated On: 6/18/07 at 09:23 PM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#13re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 9:50pm

<< Most of the time -- youll see the actor's back..Someone posted about onstage hand gesture on Magic number -- I did not see any hand gesture except :
>>

I was watching for that as well, and didnt see it....

CohenF
#14re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:12pm

Loooooooooooved the review and the pics! Really, it's awesome. You with Kerry = <3

Now I'm really anxious to know about this Les Mis joke everyone is talking about. I don't know if one day I'll be able to see the show, so if you can PM me telling about this joke, I'd be very grateful =] Thanks!

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#15re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:19pm

Could Curtis be any cuter. jeepers.

Actually he's so cute, he's hot. He walks that line.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#16re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:39pm

I wanna know if Kerry could be any cuter with those
leg-warmers !!!????

MickeyCT
#17re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:56pm

Jay, your great review reminded me of something. I think the show is fantastic, too, but you're right - "Dancin'" needs some help. I expected a lot more from the number and it kinda fell flat. Too short and not enough... pizazz, maybe.

I hasten to add, tho, that I think that's the only number that doesn't work as well as it should.

"It's smarter to be lucky than it's lucky to be smart."

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#18re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 6/19/07 at 9:47am

Micket CT-First of all- I love your shirt and thanks for advising me beforehand where to get it .We look so 80's glam with the Xanadu (rainbow)-shirt. Its too bad that the GLITTERS on the Xanadu Logo does not show up on the pics...but its so cute and over the top !! I just put my shirt on the washer last night and I was so afraid that the gliiters would washed up but luckily.. its still there. BTW- I just noticed when I washed it that there was a Blue & Pink Roller Skate with wings (exactly the one on the playbill ) at the back of the shirt (shoulder blade part)-so cute !

Dancin' Number- Youre right! its to short and I was thinking of those girls dressed in WWII uniform and guys in 80's dressed in more over the top 80's clothes kinda
like Freddy Mercury (the Queen ) circa 1980's...and I wish they did something with the stage on this number..like add two stage where the 40's jazz singers vs 80's singer..Again.. That onstage seating kinda limit what they can do with the stage..

All Over The World- I like the whole number ... my only thing that I WISH they did..
is I hope they COMPUTERIZED (like madonna's Music ) their voice when theyre singing the Bridge part...all over the world... like the soundtrack version and very early 80's too..I am sure a lot of people will like that..but then again "less is more" sometimes.. the show is so over the top already..

Xanadu number- its great ! its like the last 2 mins of the show. I felt like I really did not get any kinda " finale" feeling..Though the audience were singing and clapping
on this part- they should have use this oppurtunity to end with a blast-- Like what I said-- the production team is probbably trying to trim down the "over the top factor"...

The Les Miz joke- Someone mentioned that in another thread.. I cant really remember the exact line of Mary Testa (word for word)..the way she said it its so funny !

J*

Updated On: 6/19/07 at 09:47 AM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#19re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 8/21/07 at 4:51pm

8/21/07- update

Okay- I am bumping this thread for Fiyero- he wants me to rate Xanadu
here you go -Fiyero - Enjoy re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)

and here's my second thread to Xanadu ....
and I had became a fANADU in this thread (see below) !!

Jaystarr revisited "XANADU" with Cheyenne Jackson as Sonny (with pics)
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=939399&boardname=bway
and see how the word "fanadu " came up ^^^^^ in this thread re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)

ahhh..memories !!!

J*

Updated On: 8/21/07 at 04:51 PM

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#20re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 8/21/07 at 6:25pm

Jaystarr, is your avatar supposed to be you or is that n69n's rendering of Cheyenne?

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#21re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 8/21/07 at 8:19pm

that's me re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)

J*
Updated On: 8/22/07 at 08:19 PM

TLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
#22re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Xanadu (with pics !)
Posted: 8/21/07 at 11:26pm

Jaystarr- do you know who that lady in the red is behind you and Curtis?

Curtis- If you read this, I loved your necklace that you wore...I don't see it on this pic, but I love it.

2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis