Begin Again

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#1Begin Again
Posted: 6/28/14 at 12:18pm

I saw Begin Again this morning and it was a great summer movie.

The first 20-25 minutes were a little slow, with each of the two leads (Mark Ruffalo and Keira Knightley) getting an extended rewind to show the state of each of their lives before their chance meeting. Once they team up and the plot kicks into gear it's a lot of fun with some lovely songs and great on location shooting in New York.

Adam Levine impressed me (I thought he was going to be playing himself, but he has a character to play) and he would have been a wonderful Guy in Once on stage.

Hailee Steinfeld is all grown up, and Catherine Keener adds so much in her small role as Ruffalo's ex.

Can't wait to buy the soundtrack.

SPOILER******************

My favorite song was the one Keira sang on Adam Levine's voicemail. Great number, and I loved their conversation about the song later in the film. Adam says the song killed him and really won him over again. Keira replies, "Well, I wasn't trying to win you over. I was trying to tell you to fvck off."

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

beautywickedlover
#2Begin Again
Posted: 7/6/14 at 3:24pm

This was such a great film. The casting was perfect and the story was very clever. Ruffalo gave one the best performances of his career IMO. Knightley was lovely and Levine gave a very sold film debut performance.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#2Begin Again
Posted: 7/6/14 at 3:49pm

I still have to see it and I probably should get on it. A friend of mine who I went to college with is in it. He is the boy who plays the Violin in the band.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#3Begin Again
Posted: 7/6/14 at 4:29pm

Oh the guy who played the violin was completely adorable. Not many lines, but made an impression.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

beautywickedlover
#4Begin Again
Posted: 7/6/14 at 7:36pm

Also, James Corden was absolutely wonderful in this film. I can't wait to see him in 'Into the Woods'.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#5Begin Again
Posted: 7/12/14 at 10:50pm

I really enjoyed this. Yes there are some influences left over from "Once" but still very much re-imagined and in a good way. I did like the ending in the credits tho it did remind me of Amanda Palmer and her take on music. Kinda made that more believable. Oh and her watching him @ the concert and ....riding a bike.

OH and I loved the New York aptments!!! Levine's but esp Steve's- THAT is the NY I know.
:>

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#6Begin Again
Posted: 7/13/14 at 12:43pm

I actually liked BEGIN AGAIN more than the ONCE film. I thought it was soulful, charming, and a perfect summer diversion. Ruffalo gave one of his better film performances, which is saying a lot, and Knightley was just fantastic. This is one worth seeking out, for sure.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#7Begin Again
Posted: 7/14/14 at 12:15pm

I liked it a lot (not as much as I did Once), especially Ruffalo and Corden. Enjoyable afternoon at the movies.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Liza's Headband
#8Begin Again
Posted: 7/14/14 at 12:23pm

How was the young girl on the cello? Does she have any screen time or dialogue?

Adair Haywind
#9Begin Again
Posted: 7/15/14 at 2:47pm

Really wanted to see this film, but no theatre within a 50 mile radius of my zip code is showing it. Begin Again

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#10Begin Again
Posted: 7/15/14 at 4:55pm

Wow--I guess I'm the only person who really disliked it. A few charming moments, but the whole thing felt so forced.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#11Begin Again
Posted: 7/15/14 at 9:26pm

How was the young girl on the cello? Does she have any screen time or dialogue?

V limited mostly background One great line
"as long as it's not Focking Vivaldi!"