THE KING & I Reviews

sctrojan65
#225THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 6/14/15 at 9:12pm

Almost makes me want to hit NYC when Fiddler on the Roof opens.  So interested to see how Sher stages it.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#226THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 6/14/15 at 9:19pm

The Frogs

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#227THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 6/14/15 at 9:22pm

"The Frogs

"

Also CARRIE: The Musical.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#228THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 6/14/15 at 9:28pm

That was RSC, not LCT

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#229THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 6/14/15 at 9:42pm

I'm talking about a production that LCT could attempt to revive but it ultimately won't work. I thought you were talking about a musical that LCT can't pull off well.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#230THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 6/14/15 at 9:50pm

"is there a musical out there that LCT CAN'T pull off?"

I actually enjoyed The Frogs...

But I'll submit THE GLORIOUS ONES. Sheesh was that bad.

And for a Bartlet Sher production, I'll submit WOMEN ON THE VERGE...

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#231THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 6/14/15 at 10:03pm

Oh, in that case, a lot of stuff.

jawjuhh
#232THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 8/7/15 at 12:52am

I finally saw this tonight and was seriously so moved that I felt compelled to share my thoughts, which I don't usually do.  I've never seen any productions of The King and I, and am familiar with a few songs, but I don't have the same relationship with it that a lot of people do.  

But what an incredibly night at the theater.  As an Asian American woman who loves musical theatre, it was incredibly powerful for me to witness this incredibly talented cast.  Ashley Park in particular blew me away and her chemistry with Conrad Ricamora was electrifying.  A bit sad that I didn't get to see Ruthie Ann Miles.  I liked Ann Sanders, and generally enjoy watching understudies, but I really wanted to see Ruthie.  But seriously, what an amazing feeling to be able to see a full cast of Asians on stage, singing, dancing, and being interesting and complex characters.  Though I sometimes had troubles with the "civilized white woman bringing Western values to backwards asian country" thing, I thought the complexity that they give to the King's character makes that less grating.  Jose Llana was great and very funny, although I found myself wishing that I had seen this with Ken Watanabe when there'd been the chance-- Jose Llana lacks a bit of the sex appeal that Ken Watanabe has, and he still does read as quite young.  He and Kelli O'Hara were great together but I saw them more as buds.

The set was simply incredible, I was shocked when I saw that boat.  My LincTix were AMAZING-- Orchestra E 108, I really couldn't believe it!  And the costumes, so, so beautiful, I've never been so up close and at the same level to be able to appreciate them so much.  Part of me almost longs for the days of the hoop skirt.

In general, I was shocked by how much I liked this show.  I actually really lack the foundation for so much musical theatre, because it's not something I grew up with at all, and not something anybody ever exposed me to.  I really love contemporary musical theatre (and generally prefer contemporary literature, films, etc) but wow, I guess they really do call this a classic for a reason.  It was so genuinely funny!  And emotionally stirring-- I was sniffling and tearing up for a good half of it, although some of those were just "I've had a beer and I feel so emotional about the fact that there are so many talented Asian actors on this stage and I hate how rarely I see things like this).

And those kids were absurdly cute.

Videos