pixeltracker

Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton - Page 10

Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#225Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 7:42pm

Talking about money and salary in an interview is a bad policy. Actors come off egocentric and self-serving (whether they are or not).  And if anyone thinks Odom will not be in the filming is fooling themselves.  I wonder why Lin announced the full cast would participate before Odom agreed.

Ahmy
#226Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 7:52pm

Showface said: "RippedMan said: "I understand the concept for the show, but why not in inclusive instead of exclusive? Aren't they just doing what so many ethnic actors have complained about for so long: excluding people from auditioning/being cast in a show? Seems stupid to me that Burrs can't be white, etc. And they make the "bad guy" the white guy? Seems like they're just going about this the wrong way. 

"

Every role (except for King George and Samuel Seabury) was written for people or color. That's how it was written. They might have changed the wording on it, but they still 100% intend on casting it a specific way, and that's how it is. It's not racist and it's not discrimination. 

Besides, white people can still be in the ensemble and play King George.

"
And understudy for the lead roles.

AnnieBlack
#227Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 8:38pm

Betsy Strux has also said that she won't be in the taping- i know she isn't a principle, but thought her twitter comments would be of interest: 

https://twitter.com/Be_Strux/with_replies

Mediamaven2
#228Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 9:56pm

agree with: 

ChiTheaterFan and broadway legend

Seems a real humble appreciative true artist to me.

For whatever reason he decided to move on--and I think he is TIRED of the very demanding role he has given his ALL to for what, a couple of yrs now ? (since Workshop?) He didn't have a matinee 1x a week off like Lin. And his role is more demanding....

He must be EXhausted. And also, as such a true artist I think he's very conscious of keeping it fresh and real. I think he know the temptation-easy in one sense to stay-but for his own artistic growth/life needs to move on. Regardless. I heard him acknowledge in one intv that this might be the greatest role//opportunity of his lifetime. He knows what he has, he knew it when he had the foresight to grab it, and he knows what he is leaving. 

I wish him the best!  Thanks for giving your all out there so many nights I saw it/you.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#229Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 10:40pm

I get that! But what I'm saying is ethnic actors have been complaing for forever that certain parts are always white and that most shows don't cast ethnic actors unless specified. So all I'm saying is that Hamilton is doing the reverse. Excluding white actors basically. I just think that's silly. Why no just include everyone? 

broadwayguy91
#230Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 10:44pm

RippedMan said: "I get that! But what I'm saying is ethnic actors have been complaing for forever that certain parts are always white and that most shows don't cast ethnic actors unless specified. So all I'm saying is that Hamilton is doing the reverse. Excluding white actors basically. I just think that's silly. Why no just include everyone? 

"

do we REALLY need to get into this debate again?

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#231Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 10:46pm

Because casting actors of color helps right a historical wrong. Casting white actors just perpetuates it.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#232Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 10:49pm

broadwayguy91 said: "do we REALLY need to get into this debate again?"

We absolutely do not and should get back to the topic at hand, which is in the subject line.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

chi-town_bwayfangirl
#233Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 10:56pm

Lin was silent on the LOJ issue today, but still referenced OBC. Time will tell. Just wish LOJ hadn't said anything until he had a for sure answer one way or another (eg - after the filming had already occurred). 

broadwayguy91
#234Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 11:13pm

LizzieCurry said: "broadwayguy91 said: "do we REALLY need to get into this debate again?"

We absolutely do not and should get back to the topic at hand, which is in the subject line.

"

exactly.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#235Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/22/16 at 12:08am

annieblack, Betsy didn't specify that SHE wouldn't be in the filming, just that the entire ensemble will not be OBC.

also, when it comes to King George, they probably don't audition many people for it. it seems like it will continue to be a string of effeminate (minus d'Arcy James, so maybe that isn't a requirement) or gay actors who have already been previously established on the stage.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 6/22/16 at 12:08 AM

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#236Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/22/16 at 12:12am

mariel9 said: "Because casting actors of color helps right a historical wrong. Casting white actors just perpetuates it.

"

No, because they are just as talented, capable, hardworking and deserving. Sometimes even more so.

BlackElleWoods Profile Photo
BlackElleWoods
#237Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/22/16 at 3:56am

Updated On: 6/22/16 at 03:56 AM

chi-town_bwayfangirl
#238Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 12:06am

Cryptic tweet form LOJ tonight - is he referencing the archival filming? 

https://mobile.twitter.com/leslieodomjr/status/745725168421601281

Is it the hardest thing you've ever had to do? 

It's probably worth it then. 

Onward.

neonlightsxo
#239Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:31am

I thought the same thing when I saw that. I hope he's not. It would be a shame to not have him in the recording, IMO, but if he's intent on making that much of a stink about it...

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#240Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:39am

I can see both sides of this issue because obviously Leslie wants to be in the recording, but he also wants to stick to his beliefs about his contract, his union rights, or whatever it may be. As a teacher, I face this everyday. I want to stay late and work extra hours to help my students, and when I was untenured, I did. However, there is a great deal of pressure from tenured teachers and the union to not work the extra hours in the building without pay because it sets a precedent that we will work for free. You constantly feel that pull in both directions in education, so I would imagine it is somewhat similar for actors. 

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

neonlightsxo
#241Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:39am

I'm quite sure no one is asking Leslie to do the recording WITHOUT PAY. Updated On: 6/23/16 at 09:39 AM

backwoodsbarbie
#242Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:56am

neonlightsxo said: "
I'm quite sure no one is asking Leslie to do the recording WITHOUT PAY. "

Obviously nobody is asking him to do the recording without pay, but if they aren't willing to pay him what he feels he deserves and he doesn't want to set a precedent of working for less than, it is essentially the same principle.

neonlightsxo
#243Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:02am

In theory, sure. But I also am pretty sure what he's asking for is beyond reasonable. There's a reason he wasn't able to negotiate a new contract to stay.

Broadway Forever2
#244Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:06am

chi-town_bwayfangirl said: "Cryptic tweet form LOJ tonight - is he referencing the archival filming? 

Onward.

"

That could be related or it could be completely unrelated. i don't think we should assume. 

backwoodsbarbie
#245Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:29am

Broadway Forever2 said: "chi-town_bwayfangirl said: "Cryptic tweet form LOJ tonight - is he referencing the archival filming? 

Onward.

"

That could be related or it could be completely unrelated. i don't think we should assume. 

"

Are you suggesting that BWW members make assumptions and blow things out of proportion? Never! 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#246Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:30am

When I read it, I thought it was a motivational quote like Lin does every morning. If Jonathan Groff is coming back, Leslie has to do it. They wouldn't exclude a major actor like this. It would be extremely foolish of him or the producers if he doesn't do the recording. 

Liza's Headband
#247Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:43am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "When I read it, I thought it was a motivational quote like Lin does every morning. If Jonathan Groff is coming back, Leslie has to do it. They wouldn't exclude a major actor like this. It would be extremely foolish of him or the producers if he doesn't do the recording. 

"

I didn't realize an individual with freedom of choice is under any obligation to participate in a project without a contract or what he may consider "fair" pay. It's ridiculous language like this that just makes me roll my eyes so much. 

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#248Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 1:06pm

What makes MY eyes roll is that LOJ is, in my opinion, being a moron. So he didn't get the huge salary bump he was hoping for. Big deal. He is never, NEVER going to make the kind of money he made in Hamilton again (not in the theater, anyway), or be a part of such a phenomenon with such praise coming his way. He thinks he's going to have a music career in vocal jazz? Good luck. He's obviously very talented but so are a lot of people who never make it in the music world. And he will forever be thought of as a "Broadway guy."

Also, everyone knows you should never quit your job without another one lined up. And I bet you he remains mostly unemployed for quite a while. It's sad that his ego and sense of entitlement has led him to such a poor decision.

neonlightsxo
#249Leslie Odom Jr Leaving Hamilton
Posted: 6/23/16 at 1:07pm

"He is never, NEVER going to make the kind of money he made in Hamilton again (not in the theater, anyway)"

I think he's going to go back to TV and film, where he can make that kind of money again.

Videos