pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 102

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2525SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:36pm

And since ReNt does exist in this world, I can't believe no one on the show noticed the parallels. These are people who can frigging find a Marilyn Monroe parallel in everything they say or do, but no one seems to notice how eerie the ReNt/Johnathan Larson and Hit List/Kyle Bishop parallels are.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2526SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:37pm

But what exactly did Kyle do for this show? It's now a sung through show with music and lyrics by Jimmy. The parallels aren't exactly the same.

Ham3
#2527SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:39pm

"No, it's more like PRYMATE."

Which ran for what, 4 days?

Jordan Catalano
#2528SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:42pm

I'm talking about the message of the show, not how long it ran.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#2529SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:44pm

The message of BOMBSHELL has something to do with masturbating monkeys?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Ham3
#2530SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:45pm

^LOL

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2531SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:46pm

Well, he wrote the book. I mean, no the parallels aren't exact. But "edgy," "hip" off-Broadway rock musical with a lot of buzz has a creator die just as the phenomenon is taking off is still a pretty close parallel.

Not to mention the performance where they are supposed to do a concert that turns into the staged show. Granted, I think ReNt's was a dress rehearsal, but if Kyle were alive, at least HE'D have seen the parallels!

Jordan Catalano
#2532SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:47pm

He was looking up and smiling at the parallels.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#2533SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:50pm

"Looking up"? Are you insinuating that our Kyle is in Hell?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2534SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:51pm

I would like to think the Smash writers would know that explicitly drawing the Hit List/Rent comparison would be in very poor taste. So they'll just skirt around it and imply it now that they stuck themselves in that corner.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano
#2535SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:52pm

Borstal, he had gay sex. Jesus won't let him in the clubhouse.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2536SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:53pm

Oh, I know that they won't actually have a character mention it, but it's just absurd that they've established ReNt exists in their world and then have this go and happen.

Does anyone know if Kyle will be back for season 3?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#2537SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:54pm

But I thought he wasn't a bottom! I thought the only thing that topped him was that ice cream truck!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2538SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:55pm

Now that he's dead, I can stop respecting his wishes to be called 'versatile." Boy was a bottom.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#2539SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 9:55pm

Kyle's contribution to the show was storyboarding the songs Jimmy wrote with the assistance of Julia and Jesse. It's the first musical he worked on ever, and he's like 22, so the forced Rent parallels are actually kind of professionally offensive to Jonathan Larson was well.

I can't wait for season 10, when Karen is too old to be in the Hit List movie.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Ham3
#2540SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:01pm

"I would like to think the Smash writers would know that explicitly drawing the Hit List/Rent comparison would be in very poor taste. So they'll just skirt around it and imply it now that they stuck themselves in that corner."

You give the Smash writers WAY too much credit. They know nothing, Jon Snow.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#2541SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:02pm

I wonder how Jeese L. Martin and Daphne Rubin-Vega feel. You could almost tell how pained Jeese was in that scene with Julia in the office (and not just because he was acting.)

Jordan Catalano
#2542SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:07pm

At least he didn't get hit by the HIV truck.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2543SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:09pm

Maybe they'll do a Matthew Shepard allusion and we'll find out from Kyle's autopsy that he was positive.

Jordan Catalano
#2544SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:11pm

Can one of the SVU detectives investigate his murder?

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#2545SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:14pm

Jesse L. Martin and Daphne Rubin-Vega are probably just glad to have a paying gig and could care less.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Jordan Catalano
#2546SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:15pm

I bet Anthony Rapp was driving the ice cream truck.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#2547SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:16pm

Good point. But still- that was something that impacted them both personally.

Updated On: 5/4/13 at 10:16 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2548SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:21pm

I mean, on one hand it was almost twenty years ago, but on the other, it's still kind of icky.

broadwaytbay Profile Photo
broadwaytbay
#2549SMASH
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:33pm

I was actually kind of moved. Its a tv show. if you aren't entertained turn it off... but if you keep watching thanks I guess you likely count towards ratings keeping it from being cancelled.

Videos