pixeltracker

So--who will replace Bernadette?- Page 11

So--who will replace Bernadette?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#250So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/9/12 at 8:02pm

Someone on ATC is reporting that Victoria Clark will be replacing Bernadette.

Based on the Encores! concert, Clark has work to do, but I'm pretty confident that she'll be great in a full scale production like this.

Updated On: 1/9/12 at 08:02 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#251So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/9/12 at 8:14pm

I think that Clark has a sensational Sally in her. With more than nine days of rehearsal, I'm confident she'll do something amazing. Provided this is true, I'm looking forward to seeing who they cast as Phyllis.

According to posters on ATC, Burstein and Paige are also transferring, in addition to Raines (which we already know).

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#252So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/9/12 at 9:34pm

Victoria Clark is not a star. If she is signed then it is because they do not want to spend the money to get a star to put butts in the seats.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

random person 112
#253So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/9/12 at 9:51pm

And i bet whoever said something about clark on atc is proably just repeating something from here.

Gaveston2
#254So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/10/12 at 2:55pm

Victoria Clark is not a star. If she is signed then it is because they do not want to spend the money to get a star to put butts in the seats.

Maybe the Ahmanson has decided that for a limited run, the show itself is enough of a star.

I've only seen Clark on TV in PIAZZA, but I'd love to see her Sally.

(BTW, the subscriber/friend who got me my great seats for May 8 said the box office told her that very few seats would be available for the general public. Ahmanson subscribers gets their seats first, then they have the right to buy X-number of additional seats (my friend got me 4) at the subscription price. Only then do tix go on sale for the general public.

FWIW, the front half of the orchestra is already filled by subscribers for the entire run. (I'm sure that does NOT include a certain number of "premium seats" they sell for $200 each and up.)

The best seats my friend could get were first row mezzanine. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that the Ahmanson doesn't have that many empty seats to sell. They probably don't need stars.)

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#255So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/10/12 at 8:12pm

"FWIW, the front half of the orchestra is already filled by subscribers for the entire run. (I'm sure that does NOT include a certain number of "premium seats" they sell for $200 each and up.)"

Well, this doesn't bode too well for me, as I am planning on seeing the show over Memorial Day weekend, and would need 3 tickets, and have to wait until general ticket sales start. How large is the Ahmanson? Would getting tickets near the back/in the balcony be too bad?

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#256As Chenowith mulls Dolly or 20th...On the Boulevard hits No.1
Posted: 1/10/12 at 8:36pm

Delightful to hear that Kristen Chenowith is eager to star in the revival of "On the 20th Century". In the meantime 20th Century performer Joseph Wise's "Life Is Like A Train" gains steam with a new digitally enhanced you tube video of the 1978 Tony Awards as Wise's new theatrical single "On the Boulevard" hits No.1 on the CD Baby Pop Chart, in the category "FilmBaby". cool huh! The song is based on the screenplay "Santa Monica Boulevard".
http://youtu.be/wYoRwQWgA5c

"On the Boulevard" Updated On: 11/30/13 at 08:36 PM

Gaveston2
#257So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:39pm

Thanks for helping with the answer, Wicked.

choitoy, they renovated the Ahmanson 15 years ago and made it feel more intimate than 1850 seats may sound. After the renovation, I saw CANDIDE from the balcony and had no problem with it at all, but I don't know how to look at that experience through your eyes.

As a rule, I'm not all that picky about seats. (FWIW, my friend said there were singles in the orchestra for most performances, so maybe if you don't mind splitting up, you can sit closer.)

In any event, I'm giving you third-hand info. Be sure and call the b.o. as soon as general tix go on sale; maybe the situation will have changed.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#258So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 4:55am

Thanks for the replies guys! My sister and I usually sit in the balcony of the 5th Avenue and Paramount theaters in Seattle (my sister is just over 5' tall, so the rake of the balcony helps her see over everyone), and the Paramount is a barn of a theater, so it's not usually too bad (except in the third balcony). We were spoiled when we went to see Follies in DC, as we got Row H in the orchestra. It looks like the Ahmanson is more wide than deep? So I guess this helps with getting seats closer up. But I'll still keep an eye open for the general on sale dates.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
Gaveston2
#260So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 4:50pm

On another thread, somebody says non-subscription tickets to FOLLIES are now available at the box office. I thought I should mention this to those of you hoping to buy some.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#261So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 4:56pm

Or online:

http://www.centertheatregroup.org/tickets/reserve.aspx?ProductionID=8200

The availability seems very good still except for front-center orchestra seats.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/11/12 at 04:56 PM

Gaveston2
#262So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:17pm

The availability seems very good still except for front-center orchestra seats.

Absolutely. I'm sorry if I discouraged anyone by reporting above what my friend said; she's very picky about seating and has subscription seats that are fifth row center. To her row T is probably Siberia.

It looks to me like anyone who wants to see the show can get tix now.

Videos