pixeltracker

Sleep No More is AMAZING- Page 17

Sleep No More is AMAZING

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#400Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/19/11 at 8:13pm

He hung himself? Looked more like an execution to me!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

RWilliamsCenterStg Profile Photo
RWilliamsCenterStg
#401Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 1:10am

Saw this the other night. God i loved it. What an event. Make sure you guys see this!

FindingNamo
#402Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 1:44am

Yes, massofmen, I SAID you have every right to hate it for whatever reason. I can, um, totally see why you then had to tell me that in fact you did have every right to hate it for whatever reason. Because, somehow you disagreed with me while agreeing with me?? Anyhoo, they hanged MacBeth. It wasn't a suicide.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

roseee
#403Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 6:01am

extended again until Oct 1!

massofmen
#404Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 8:43am

LOL i love it. a LOOSE interpretation of Macbeth! thats hilarious. What does that even mean? And the little girl is not from rebecca. I read the book last week. There is NO way she is the new wife of Maxim. it has absolutely nothing to do with the story.

and ..i am just done with this. So when a show says "loosely" based, they can essentially do 3 scenes of macbeth and the rest is just complete elastic modern dance in a run down building. Such a cop out.

Its stupid go see traces instead.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#405Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 9:06am

Can I just add how ridiculous the staggered tickets are? They are absolutely meaningless. So what is the point?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#406Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 9:28am

There is only the one elevator, and only the one bar area. Not everyone who is seeing the show on the particular night can possibly fit in there all at once. A lot of people tend to ignore the times anyway and just go right at the start. I've never seen someone get turned away for it.

----
Are many of those songs not used? Weird, most seemed really familiar to me, and the guy on facebook sounded like he'd been in contact with the actual sound designer as well. Maybe some were cut or currently not being used.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#407Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 9:52am

That's my point....it doesn't matter when your tix are for...you just go when you want. You stand in line no matter what. It's not llike they take the 7pm people all at once and then the 7:15....it has NO bearing on anything.

Does anyone know how many tix they have available per performance? (Just curious.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#408Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 1:20pm

Last time I went I purposely waited for my time slot because my friend was running late. I counted groups of 20-25 going in every time. So my estimate is 125-150 during weekdays and twice the amount on the weekends.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

FindingNamo
#409Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 1:28pm

Even though he's done with this (anybody taking bets he's not?), I shall post the scenes from MacBeth that I saw with my own eyes in Sleep No More. Not for massofmen, just for the discussion:

The witch's prophesy
The murder of Lady MacDuff
The murder of Banquo
Lady MacBeth's efforts to get MacBeth to kill Duncan
The murder of King Duncan
Lady MacBeth's futile attempts to wash blood off her hands
The banquet
The appearance of Banquo's ghost at the banquet
MacBeth going mad with sleeplessness and guilt
The death of MacBeth

You know, just off the top of my head.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#410Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 2:21pm

Not to mention all the letters and documents written and signed by the MacBeth characters.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Skip2 Profile Photo
Skip2
#411Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 2:30pm

Not to be snarky, (but I will be anyway) but I've already forgotten SLEEP NO MORE.

Hell, some of the fringe shows are a LOT more entertaining, imaginative, and CHEAPER. Even the not-so-great ones. And I agree - go to TRACES. You'll have a lot more bang for your buck.

What a pretentious, overblown ripoff.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#412Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 2:50pm

Seriously? Comparing Traces to Sleep No More? WHILE complaining that Sleep No More has a lack of a plot? While I did enjoyed the acrobatics and the dance in Traces, there was hardly a plot. Sleep No More created an atmosphere unlike anything I've ever experienced, and gave us comprehensible characters and a plot. 'Traces' had more acrobatics, but you can see dance troops doing that in Central Park on any weekend. Sleep No More was an experience.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Skip2 Profile Photo
Skip2
#413Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 3:13pm

PLOT? In SLEEP NO MORE?

How many times did you see it? And what did you read beforehand? I saw absolutely NO, NO...NO plot.

If I didn't know it was loosely based on Macbeth I wouldn't know ANYTHING that was going on. Of course I didn't SEE that much going on.

It was an experience, all right...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#414Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 3:19pm

Not only does Sleep No More have a plot; if they made the plot any simpler they would have to use apples to explain it.

What probably challenged you is that you had to find this plot yourself. You are used to have it given to you. I can see how most who are used to (and prefer to) be passive spectators would find it frustrating, but it doesn't mean that it is not there. I'm glad so many people actually find it exciting to find out what is going on on their own, instead of sticking to the traditional way to experience a live show.

Skip2 Profile Photo
Skip2
#415Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 3:34pm

Well Blaxx: you must have gone several times and you must have known beforehand what the show was about, cause I'm not lazy and I was all OVER that "hotel" and I still didn't know WHAT was going on. And I guess I DON'T want to work THAT hard to "get" what's going on. Hell, next they'll throw you a script and force you to BECOME the actors. And charge you $125. Can't wait...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#416Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 3:41pm

Tickets are $75, actually. And I got it the first time I saw it. I also admit I happened to bump into the right sequences at the right time.

As I mentioned, I can see why you weren't up for it(but that does not make it a rip off). Heck, I'm actually amazed most people are up for it, being that most theatre goers are not used to do any of the work.

But it is also more than plot and action, it combines all this with a huge art installation, what did you think about that part?

Skip2 Profile Photo
Skip2
#417Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/20/11 at 3:55pm

The art installation was interesting, (and the $125 was a joke amount for my "challenge" performance art piece - here's the script - now YOU perform it). I think there might have been more drama in watching them assemble THAT.

And I, obviously, DIDN'T bump into the right sequences. :o)

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#418Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/21/11 at 12:39am

The 7:00, 7:15... ticket times are in place to make it seem more like a hotel. You get "reservation times" for the McKittrick Hotel. I learned early on in the run that the times don't reflect what time you can enter the show.

"a LOOSE interpretation of Macbeth! thats hilarious. What does that even mean?"

Can you REALLY not figure out what that means? It's loosely based on Macbeth. They took basic plot points, characters, etc. and changed them around to shape their own story. There's no official statement from Punchdrunk saying "Sleep No More is Macbeth". And yes that is the Second Mrs. DeWinters. Again LOOSELY based on it. If you don't like the show, that's fine, but don't hate on the show because it's not something that it isn't claiming to be.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#419Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/21/11 at 1:40am

so having followed Macbeth, Lady Macbeth and Lady MacDuff for their entire tracks, are there any other characters that offer a track worth a return trip?

Skip2 Profile Photo
Skip2
#420Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/21/11 at 1:45am

Well there is the track where Elwood Dowd finally finds the real rabbit Harvey and then he transforms into The Shaggy Dog. But not many people have lived to say they saw that one.

charlesjguiteau Profile Photo
charlesjguiteau
#421Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/21/11 at 1:57am

@dshnookie--Following the Boy Witch is pretty much impossible to do, I think, but if you could, you'd find that all the scenes he shares are among the most vivid in the show. I lost him on his blood-soaked exit from the rave but lord knows I tried to follow behind (the fake blood stains all over my white shirt that night are proof of my commitment).

merideathx Profile Photo
merideathx
#422Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/22/11 at 12:41pm

Was the boy witch the one who wore the goat head?

If so, I *did* manage to follow him out of the rave...and watched him shower nude for about 10 minutes or so. I was the only one in the bathroom with him aside from a black mask, and I felt like the biggest perv ever, but damn that's some fine theatre!

Oh and after I helped him get dressed I got bored and wandered elsewhere. Sleep No More is AMAZING

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#423Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/22/11 at 5:13pm

boy witch it is!

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#424Sleep No More is AMAZING
Posted: 8/22/11 at 5:31pm

Boy witch is absolutely awesome, but my personal favorite (other than the 3 you mentioned) is Malcolm. He interacts with a few of the Rebecca characters, like the 2nd Mrs. DeWinters, so he spans both worlds. He also gets a lot of time with Duncan, who you haven't followed. I also think Malcolm's one on one is my favorite in the show (that I've done!). Actually, my favorite scene is between Malcolm and Macduff in the interrogation room. It was so noir-y and intense. I adored it!

My other fav is Banquo, but *ahem* that is also partially for superficial reasons relating to the actor as well. But he does have some neat dances as well (and another cool one on one). Malcolm and Banquo are also pretty easy to consistently follow, unlike Macbeth and Boy With who I found difficult as they kept going behind private doors and appearing elsewhere. Banquo and Malcolm take straight paths for the most part (ala Lady Macbeth), so you can just keep up with them.

Updated On: 8/22/11 at 05:31 PM

Videos