News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 19

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#4502007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 6:51am

Lady Italy, have you seen ANY of the performances in the shows that I listed, above which you placed Block's performance?

Ugh, I'm so tired of these kids that join the board just to plug one show. Go away.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 3/13/07 at 06:51 AM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#4512007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 7:54pm

I'm going to shamelessly plug Grey Gardens right now, Foster. Forgive me.

EBERSOLE WILL WIN. She has recieved glowing notices from every single critic with the exception of that ridiculously negative man that writes for Talkin' Broadway. She's been mentioned in more magazines, newspapers and televsion shows than any performance I can think of in almost five or six years. And she deserves it all. She gives the most fantastic performance this year and one of the most I've seen in the last 5 years in theater (ranking only with Victoria Clark in both Follies and Piazza). Not only will she win, but her equally spectacular costars Mary Louise Wilson and John McMartin will win. This will be a Grey Gardens year. But enough with the other categories. Whoever says Ebersole will win to some power belter is crazy. It's been her award since October.

#4522007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 8:29pm

"and John McMartin will win."

Who is his competition?

I know about Mary-Louise

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#4532007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 8:38pm

Edward Hibbert and Matt Cavenaugh are probably his only competition, but think about McMartin for a minute. He's a splendid veteran actor, has never won and has deserved a Tony several times in the past and gives a damned good performance.

Yankeefan007
#4542007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 8:43pm

Featured Actor:
Edward Hibbert
John McMartin
John Cullum
John Gallagher, Jr
David Pittu

Featured Actress:
Mary Louise Wilson
Rebecca Luker
Karen Ziemba
Barbara Walsh/Heather Laws
Linda Balgord

#4552007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 8:45pm

I think Heather.

jg4892
#4562007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 8:48pm

John McMartin did not do anything spectacular. It'll be a real disappointment if he wins. I'm rooting for Gallagher.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#4572007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 9:25pm

EBERSOLE WILL WIN. She has recieved glowing notices from every single critic with the exception of that ridiculously negative man that writes for Talkin' Broadway. She's been mentioned in more magazines, newspapers and televsion shows than any performance I can think of in almost five or six years. And she deserves it all. She gives the most fantastic performance this year and one of the most I've seen in the last 5 years in theater (ranking only with Victoria Clark in both Follies and Piazza). Not only will she win, but her equally spectacular costars Mary Louise Wilson and John McMartin will win. This will be a Grey Gardens year. But enough with the other categories. Whoever says Ebersole will win (I think you mean lose) to some power belter is crazy. It's been her award since October.

I've shamelessly plugged this phenomenal show, as well. I tend to think Mary Louise Wilson and Christine Ebersole are the ones who will win, though. John Gallagher gives me reason to believe he will be the sole acting Tony for Spring Awakening. That's my view, though. (Crossing fingers and toes for Christine in particular and Mary Louise as well.) No one has moved me the way she has. She is incredible (I don't know why I'm so amazed-I mean, I did see her in 42nd Street and correctly predicted she'd get the Tony for that because I saw the energy and stage presence she possessed. But, now, I see quite a range and more of a gift than I even conceived she (or anyone else, for that matter) had. Amazing! Donna Murphy and Audra may give her a run for her money, though.
Wish GG had a shot at best musical-looks like SA will take that one! (I think GG should get-best orchestrations, actress, featured actress, music, book, (musical-it won't)and lyrics (probably not). Music, book, actress, featured actress, and probably orchestrations will be its rewards, I think.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#4582007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 9:57pm

On Block's nomination, I don't think it is her. I think it's the material. She clearly has talent, everyone who has seen the show, love or hate it, has said she was incredible. However, it could be that if the Tony nominators don't like the material, and not nominate her.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

fachedaluna Profile Photo
fachedaluna
#4592007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 10:00pm

Foster...you go away. You make yourself sound so important and knowledgeable. However...you make me believe that you are blowing smoke and that you are full of sh**!

Let Lady Italy alone. If you can say the things you say, she can say what she wishes.
Updated On: 3/13/07 at 10:00 PM

charliebrownkid Profile Photo
charliebrownkid
#4602007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 11:23pm

Foster...

I understand the frustration , but I disagree on what you are saying. Sure right now a lot of people have that one show or one performer that they know and thats all they talk about but everyone needs a stepping stone to reach the amount of knowledge someone like you has about musical theater. I think something like obsessions for Wicked and Rent are wonderful, especially for new comers, as long as they discover more with some time. When I first started the only thing I knew was Millie and Sutton Foster who I was (and am) in love with and was really all I knew, but through that show I learned so much by looking at the other performers and what they have done and who they have worked with etc... Just give them a chance to catch up, learn more, and they will be able to form solid opinions about all this. And to all those who dont know too much about other shows, take the time to do so, learn as much as you can about other shows through that one show you love so much. Knowledge truely is power.
Updated On: 3/13/07 at 11:23 PM

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#4612007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 8:39am

Hoping for Stephanie this year.....

Celia also at least for a nomination for a revival....

How could you even list Daphne when poeple were saying how horrible her performance was at intermission?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#4622007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 11:51am

So I just saw Pirate Queen last night. While the show isn't anywheres near perfect, it had some strong qualities. I guarantee it will get a nomination for lighting and choreography (lighting will go to Spring Awakening though and, while PQ has a shot at choreography, which was quite good, it also might go to Curtains). The other two nods it might get are Leading Actor and Actress. Hadley Fraser was good, but not great. HOWEVER, STEPHANIE BLOCK WAS EXQUISITE. You couldn't take your eyes off of her. Let me tell you, if she doesn't get a nomination and Chenoweth does, I will be EXTREMELY PISSED OFF. She sang and acted circles around Kristen.

Wanna Be A Foster
#4632007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 11:56am

Did you see THE APPLE TREE?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
FallintoLight Profile Photo
FallintoLight
#4652007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:00pm

HOWEVER, STEPHANIE BLOCK WAS EXQUISITE. You couldn't take your eyes off of her. Let me tell you, if she doesn't get a nomination and Chenoweth does, I will be EXTREMELY PISSED OFF. She sang and acted circles around Kristen.

I REALLY couldn't agree with you more! As much as everyone says she wont get nominated because of the material, she MAKES the material that much more! I pray she gets nominated. There are MANY people in the past who have been nominated and have been in shows in which the material was not fantasic.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#4662007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:00pm

I'm seeing PQ for the second time Friday evening, but unless her material has greatly improved, as brilliant as she is (and I LOVE her), I just can't see Stephanie getting a nomination this year. The competition is just too stiff. We'll know more once all the reviews are in for every show (I'm expecting raves for Murphy and McDonald). The fifth slot will be between Monk and Block, in my opinion.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4672007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:01pm

"There are MANY people in the past who have been nominated and have been in shows in which the material was not fantasic."

Yes, but what was the competition like in those years? This year, they don't have to look for slot-fillers. They have to make the difficult decision of who not to include.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#4682007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:03pm

I agree with you 100%, Rath.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#4692007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:06pm

"Did you see THE APPLE TREE?"

Yes Foster, I did. It was horrendous. The only person who deserves any type of recognition for that lousy show is Brian Darcy James. Cheno made me want to rip my hair out and poke out my eyes. Prior to seeing Pirate Queen, I was guessing that Cheno would take a slot over Block, even though I hated her performance. And even though Stephanie has bad material, now that I have seen the show, it is safe to say Block is SOOOOO much better. I won't be upset if they both get nods, just if Cheno gets one and Block doesn't. Maybe Block can take Monks spot, who knows. Regardless, Block completely deserves a Tony nomination for her performance.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4702007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:08pm

"Maybe Block can take Monks spot"

You are dead to me.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Wanna Be A Foster
#4712007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:12pm

bjh2114, expect to be disappointed.

-Kad

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#4722007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:14pm

Sorry Rath. When I said "maybe she can", I meant maybe that's what will end up happening, not what SHOULD happen. I haven't seen Curtains but I hear that Monk is great. Ideally I would rather have Block take Cheno's spot but everyone says that can't happen. I would love to see the category as:
Block
Ebersole
McDonald
Monk
Murphy

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4732007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:16pm

You're forgiven. 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?

I do think Block could take Chenoweth's spot. I haven't seen either show - I'm talking both politically and from what I've heard of the performances.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#4742007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:18pm

I have to speak out on behalf of WannaBeAFoster, who has taken great abuse from some of you. While you certainly have every right to disagree with his opinion--I don't agree with all of his opinions--you should know that the boy sees a lot of theatre and does indeed have a valid, respectable POV. And knowing him, having seen theatre with him, I know how much he loves the theatre and wants to love everything he sees.

However, that's not possible. And criticism is vital to the quality of any art. So let's not dismiss him because he simply doesn't

1. agree with you about a certain show

2. because you can't accept the educated possibility that your fave performer or show has weak chances at a nomination or win

Perspective is in great need around here.

Videos