pixeltracker

Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?- Page 2

Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#25re: Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:52pm

I thought the above-the-title thing was a standard with WICKED...I was shocked to see this had changed. Why is Nicole Parker or Marcie Dodd more deserving of the above-the-title status than Dee Roscioli? Or maybe it was because their agents petitioned it? I really have no idea how this sort of thing works.

Like why are John Stamos, Gina Gershon AND Bill Irwin above the title for BYE BYE BIRDIE? John and Gina make sense, but Bill? I don't get it...

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#26re: Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:55pm

Alli was a no name too, who only got her name above the title because Nicole did.

Nicole wasn't much of a name either. She had been in one show beforehand and MADtv.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#27re: Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:20am

They didn't move the "witches" names below the title until after Nicole left. Prior to that, they all were always above the title.

The only prior adjustments made to the billing was when they made the height of the witches names the same. In the OBC, Menzel's name was first, but Chenoweth's was higher up. Also, the Wizard was moved below the title (in the original ads, Joel Grey gets an "And....as the Wizard" above the title).

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#28re: Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:33am

"Like why are John Stamos, Gina Gershon AND Bill Irwin above the title for BYE BYE BIRDIE? John and Gina make sense, but Bill? I don't get it..."

- Bill Irwin is playing an iconic role. It makes sense to me.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#29re: Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:37am

It's all about selling tickets of course. If you have a big name in your show, you feature that name. If not, then they are simply cast members and not stars, which is starting to happen with Wicked.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

WithoutATrace
#30re: Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:47am

It would make more sense to me to have a "with Bill Irwin as Mr. MacAfee" as the final credit in large type. Albert and Rosie should be the only ones above the title, IMO.

But, frankly, the entire billing in this revival is messed up. Dee Hoty is given a star credit, but Ali Trimm isn't on there at all? Whatever...it's Roundabout.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#31re: Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:58am

Neither role (Kim or Mrs. MacAfee) is very large in the stage show. Dee Hoty is a Broadway name, and her billing is appropriate.

I did find it slightly odd that Allie Trimm is getting billed with the ensemble. Funk got the "And Nolan Funk as Birdie."

Trimm's role isn't very large, but I didn't expect her to get ensemble billing.
Updated On: 8/13/09 at 12:58 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#32re: Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:00am

Bill Irwin also has a Tony Award. He may have been able to negotiate prominent billing.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#33re: Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:06am

Hmmm. Well according to their website, Trimm's photo will probably appear with the leads in the playbill. Not sure what her exact billing will be.

WithoutATrace
#34re: Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:18am

adamgreer, you must be right about Bill Irwin negotiating prominent billing. His role is not large at all and he does not deserve to be above the title.

I was just talking about this tonight with Whizzer, and I think Kim has a very large role. She participates in the following songs: "How Lovely To Be A Woman," "One Boy," "Hymn for a Sunday Evening," "What Did I Ever See In Him?," "A Lot Of Livin' To Do," and the title song (if added for this production). If done well, I think Kim could steal the show. She really deserves some kind of recognition in the billing.

Do you really think Dee Hoty's billing is appropriate? (don't get me wrong - i LOVE the woman, but Mrs. MacAfee should not get that kind of billing) She has hardly anything to do in the show...I still can't believe she accepted it. I guess it's work...and she hasn't been on Broadway in five years.

Arguing about the billing is pointless I guess though...I just hope the show is good overall.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#35re: Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?
Posted: 8/13/09 at 2:57am

This site shows Trimm as having principle billing. I imagine it will look like this in the playbill.

http://theatrescene.net/ts/ea.nsf/By+Category/5D56F587089E1740852575DB007D1124

byebyebaby12 Profile Photo
byebyebaby12
#36re: Erin Mackey's first night in Wicked on Broadway, did anyone go?
Posted: 8/13/09 at 9:39am

Well, Mr. MacAfee became a scene stealing role when Paul Lynde did the part originally. So maybe, they are expecting the same from Bill Irwin?

I just re-read some of the made about Dee and Kristy. Those are really nasty. I understand not liking someone but you it is possible to say it differently without sounding like jerks. It is becoming like personal insults and less like a critique of their performances.
For the record, I liked Erin, Dee and Kristy when I saw them. Updated On: 8/13/09 at 09:39 AM

NickChopper

Videos