News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Tampa Bay- Page 2

Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Tampa Bay

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#25re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 11/30/09 at 6:35pm

"all you have for me is that Nikki Snelson does...indeed...wear a hat."

And Elaine Stritch is f*cking LIVID about it!

re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta

P

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#26re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 11/30/09 at 6:44pm

A better Alice was Micki Grant's "And Never Jam Today"

Poster Emeritus

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#27re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 11/30/09 at 8:22pm

I think you mean Vinnette Carroll's BUT NEVER JAM TODAY - a brilliant show that only ran 8 performances in 1979. They should revive that show instead, and Brenda Braxton should be Persona Non Grata (BUT NEVER JAM TODAY was her Broadway debut 30 years ago).

http://ibdb.com/production.php?id=3804

Micki Grant and Vinnette Carroll did collaborate together on ALICE, which starred Debbie Allen and closed on the road in Philadelphia in 1978 - you may have been referring to that one as well.

That being said, this current production of WONDERLAND looks atrocious. I wish I could afford to fly to Florida to see it, because it will likely not make it to New York.
Updated On: 11/30/09 at 08:22 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 11/30/09 at 9:18pm

I stand corrected. Thanks

Poster Emeritus

karma3
#29re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 12:56am

Atrocious is putting it beyond kindly when it comes to this blatant attempt by that third-rater Wildhorn to whip up another instant "classic", I'm sure he's dreaming of this becoming a "smash hit", while he cooks up yet another misfit musical. He's written at least 100 in the last two months correct?

This is miscast noise, dreadful costumes, horrid "music" with no connection to character, another "Frank's Trunk" cobbler with an even more manic mix of sweaty despair than the stillborn Bonnie & Clyde.

Wildhorn's entire engine is fueled by his sad desire for a WINNER, with no connection to an actual score with heart and soul. This man is a danger to classic novels the world over, his jigsaw traipsing through the dusty remains of the public domain library leaves one breathless with shock and awe.

And Dacal, I have plastic cups with more range and emotion, the entire piece is murky, misguided and will vanish as soon as the Tampa investors flee to the nearest accessible bridge to hurl themselves off.

The sadness in the eyes of the ensemble tell the real tale, as they often do...

Atrocious indeed.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#30re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 1:02am

I officially love karma3. Where have you been???

When I think about you, I touch myself.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#31re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 1:06am

He's been busy starting ATROCIOUS threads about his unhealthy obsession with Cheyenne Jackson.

Two peas in a pod, you two.

P

karma3
#32re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 1:11am

Dear Pgenre, you who I respect so, how can you not agree with my post about this, this "musical" reeks of such haste and waste, Wildhorn deserves his public flogging by us lot. His take on the Wonderland legend has been written through stubby fingers and swollen inspiration at best, which has delivered THE WORST!

Basely Tearful Profile Photo
Basely Tearful
#33re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 1:26am

Maybe Wildhorn will change Alice from latina to gay man and cast Jackson.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#34re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 2:12am

"ildhorn's entire engine is fueled by his sad desire for a WINNER, with no connection to an actual score with heart and soul. This man is a danger to classic novels the world over, his jigsaw traipsing through the dusty remains of the public domain library leaves one breathless with shock and awe.

And Dacal, I have plastic cups with more range and emotion, the entire piece is murky, misguided and will vanish as soon as the Tampa investors flee to the nearest accessible bridge to hurl themselves off. "

"Dear Pgenre, you who I respect so, how can you not agree with my post about this, this "musical" reeks of such haste and waste, Wildhorn deserves his public flogging by us lot. His take on the Wonderland legend has been written through stubby fingers and swollen inspiration at best, which has delivered THE WORST!"

WONDERLAND has been scheduled for a run in Tampa Winter 2009 since September 2007! This is not a waste/haste, except that much of the score was changed reportedly from the workshops/readings held with Lauren Kennedy even earlier this year!

I love what he has done to the story, but not the way it's turned out. I had HUGE hopes for this project and it's gone. I'm seeing it twice and everytime I see something new of it I just..regret it.

To change the story to modern adaption, he made Alice a children's book writer. Her daugther gets swiped down to Wonderland in hopes that she can restore order there, by accident. Alice has to find her way back down to help save not only her daughter and Wonderland, but she has to find herself too. Through in the typical musical-romance.

Seemed great - but I don't see why nearly the entire show is told in Wonderland. Again, I haven't read a script or anything, but from what I knew of the plot, it sounded great. Now it doesn't. I'm not sure how "Once more I can See" (apparently originally the finale - which makes sense) fits in, amongst other things.

I agree ENTIRELY about Wildhorn / co. trying SO hard to make this a hit. And it's unfotunate.

Firstly, and I know I've been bashed before for this, but unless they were casting a star, was it that hard to stick to a typical Alice. I know people won't complain about it, but why am I supposed to believe that her daughter Chloe, whose not blonde and Alice, whose latina (and they the writers have repeatedly talked about this) fits into how the story unfolds...And I do believe that because of the success of West Side Story and In the Heights, Wildhorn/co. must somehow believe being latino makes it a hit. Unfortunately, Dacal doesn't give off a star-quality brand right off the bat, but again I haven't seen it yet.

Secondly, the show can obviously call for TONS of those ballads so many people love. Unfortunately Murphy's lyrics ruin all of the them. Sure some of them are fine, but the lyrics literally repeat themselves in all the songs...

There are SO many problems. The design team sounded SO promising, but again, may have come up short. Again, we'll have to wait to see it in person.

As for based off what I have heard from the recording and the looks of the pictures/etc., I don't see this getting past Houston. Maybe a tour. This has become a disappointment for plenty of Wildhorn's strongest supporters (such as me).

Usually with a Wildhorn show, if the show is bad, you have that great star, starS even. Not here - you've got Nikki Snelson and if you like Karen Mason...While I like Ritchie I don't expect him to become a star from this; the only supporters of Dacal seem to be In the Heights fans. I'm just saying, even if it was Lauren Kennedy, I think plenty of people could atleast find a big pleasure in her performance. In fact, I'm very disappointed that she's not with it anymore. Perhaps we know why...

#35re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 3:35am

"Lewis Carroll was high when he wrote the original books! "

Charles Dodgson may have been many things, but no he wasn't high while writing these books (or coming up with the original Alice's Adventures Underground)

rockfenris2005
#36re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 4:38am

Removing my silly post full of speculation.

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific
Updated On: 5/27/20 at 04:38 AM

denise2
#37re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 4:03pm

I saw the show and loved it! And so did all the people that went with me.
The actors were amazing - Nikki Snelson as the Mad Hatter was my favorite - and yes, she wears a hat.
The "boy band" number was funny! Lots of laughing in the audience.
Loved, Loved the costumes!
And I loved the music!
Listening to the audience members I think most really liked it.
Very entertaining.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#38re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 4:46pm

Oh, please. I'd like to hear someone with a true sense of reality.

My boss sat in on a dress rehearsal and said it was "okay" but bordering on near "disaster" - kind of waiting for something to break the camel's back, in a sense.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#39re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 7:33pm

I think this looks like it could be decent. I especially like the picture with the caterpillar. The queen's costume is nice, and the Mad Hatter looks good. You know, in a terrifying sort of way.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#40re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 7:40pm

just my opinion
but i think it looks ****ing cool

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#41re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/1/09 at 7:45pm

All I can think is "HR Pufinstuff goes goth".

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#42re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:33am

Of all the pictures to NOT post for the Wonderland article.....SNelson does indeed have a hat!

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#43re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/2/09 at 10:42am

The queen looks like Sarah Palin. And it's masturbation, not masterbation.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#44re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/2/09 at 11:18am

Thank you for the spelling lesson, my dear. But rather I was just unaware if I could get away with that word on the Board... so I gave an alternate spelling.

Philly - these pictures just enforce my initial thoughts. What a f*cking creep show. That hat is an ugly mess.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#45re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:17pm

Almost everthing seems to be symbolic in the show. Snelson's wearing a Napoleon hat because her character is power hungry!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#46re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:42pm

How... deep.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#47re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:06pm

LOL

gypsymal56 Profile Photo
gypsymal56
#48re: Photo Flash: Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Alice's New Musical Adventure in Ta
Posted: 12/2/09 at 2:00pm

Saw the show last night. I wanted to like it. I really did. I even stopped reading the message board threads here about it. I wanted to make my own (hopefully positive) opinion. Not a former Wildhorn fan, I've actually never seen nor heard anything on his before. Haven't heard the concept album either, so I'm not sure how the two relate. I received an email this morning asking for my comments on the show, I tried to keep it brief, here is what I said. Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer!

Music was good, although lacked a connective thread. I understand the desire to give each character their own type of music/song, but this only created a mess of unconnected music. There was no transition, no flow. Most songs could be switched/swapped around with the same outcome.
Most lyrics were lazy. Rhyming "are" and "shining star" is laughable. To put it bluntly, most of the lyrics reminded me of crap I would write in a freshman poetry class. I would recommend a complete reworking of most songs, lyrically. Especially "Finding Wonderland".
Acting was good, by some, particularly the Queen of Hearts and Jack. The Queen of Hearts was the only character who was well-rounded, a complete character. I am still confused as to who the Catepillar and El Gato are. To me, they served little purpose. The actor who played Jack had a great singing voice and stage presence, although his character needs reworking. I don't see the connection between Jack and The White Knight. In the beginning of the play, we see Jack, Alice's husband, as a disgruntled unhappy man. We then meet The White Knight, a carefree, lovable man. The White Knight is then suddenly singing a duet with Alice about the trouble of being in love. He lost his charm at this point. The whole character needs to be reworked. He is, as of now, disjointed.
I was not able to appreciate The Nikki Snelson's acting or singing chops during this production. I was completely and utterly distracted by The Mad Hatter, and what a waste of a character she is. Why is she evil? Why is she steadfast and cruel? Why isn't she nonsensical? Why isn't everything upside down in her world? Picking the Mad Hatter as a villain was a poor choice, in my opinion. The character had no quirky-ness. I hated The Mad Hatter.
Lose the sci-fi like characters in their neon get-up, they were not Wonderland.
Way too much makeup on Chloe, she looked like a short seventeen year old.
Mostly, I thought the production lost the whimsical/nonsensical feel of Lewis Carroll's work. The welcome to wonderland scene was the most close, I think. The rest just wasn't fun, wasn't light hearted.
The musical has a lot of potential, but lacks a clear vision. Is Alice looking to reconcile with her husband? Find her daughter? Or reconnect with the child within herself? It is all too much. Chloe should be used more so as a guide, if at all, frankly.

Candidly, the play was a mess. Hillferty's ( I think thats her name.. don't have my playbill handy..) costumes are a complete knock off of her work with Wicked. The White Knight's costume was Boq's jacket and shirt with Fiyero's riding boots and pants. The volume of the dresses, the black and white, was all Emerald City. It was barfing Wicked. I hated it.
Wildhorn sat behind myself in the theatre, only patron wearing a baseball cap. I kept waiting for him to ask me what I thought.
I think Andrea Burns was there, a couple rows in front of me. I felt silly gawking.
To reiterate what others have stated, the Boy Band number was great. Laughs throughout the theatre.
I liked the Welcome to Wonderland number.
I liked the small snipits of Chloe singing rhymes. They were whimsical.
I had a pleasant evening.

Hope this helps. Alight guys, fire away with questions!

Videos