pixeltracker

Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013- Page 2

Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013

AEA AGMA SM
#25Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013
Posted: 2/29/12 at 11:38am

Laura Osnes would be quite charming. The role is interesting in that it's definitely not a big belty role, but not some big rangey soprano either.

Definitely curious as to how they'll go with the Trunchbull. From the video footage I've seen it does appear to be a fairly physically demanding role so I'm guessing they'll stick with a younger actor/actress (Bertie Carvel is only in his mid 30s, if I recall correctly) and allow the costuming and wigs and make-up to keep that feeling of age and physical grotesqueness.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#26Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013
Posted: 2/29/12 at 1:08pm

I believe I said this in another tread, but the role of Trunchbull belongs to David Greenspan.

TheatreFan27 Profile Photo
TheatreFan27
#27Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013
Posted: 3/2/12 at 11:44am

Audition notices when out yesterday for Broadway's MATILDA and it looks like the producers do want a male actor for the role of Miss Trunchbull.

Updated On: 3/2/12 at 11:44 AM

ajh
#28Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013
Posted: 3/2/12 at 12:09pm

If Bertie Carvel and Lauren Ward don't transfer, I could see Raul Esparza as Trunchbull (in the event of LoF not being a runner), with maybe Jennifer Laura Thompson as Miss Honey. Would like to see Leslie Kritzer and Will Swenson as Matilda's ghastly parents. Great news that this is coming...it's a corker!

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#29Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013
Posted: 3/2/12 at 12:25pm

What ages are the kids that play Matilda and her classmates? Doesn't Matilda have an older brother too?

Jonwo
#30Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013
Posted: 3/2/12 at 12:39pm

There are nine children which are obviously triple casted, the rest including Michael Wormwood are played by adults.

AEA AGMA SM
#31Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013
Posted: 3/2/12 at 2:51pm

"I could see Raul Esparza as Trunchbull"

Honest question, is he tall enough? The casting breakdown does pretty specifically state that they are looking at men 6' and taller, which makes sense considering how physically imposing the character needs to be.

AEA AGMA SM
#32Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013
Posted: 3/2/12 at 2:56pm

Oh, and Leslie Kritzer would be a hoot as Matilda's mother.

And for a lesser-known choice for Miss Honey, Julie Foldesi, who was a standby for Sutton in Little Women as well as ensemble for South Pacific and soon to be in Newsies would be a great choice.

Jonwo
#33Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013
Posted: 3/2/12 at 3:12pm

Miss Trunchbull's a great role, Bertie Carvel plays the character so well that it's hard not to like the character.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#34Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013
Posted: 3/2/12 at 4:08pm

I think Laura Osnes is a great choice for Miss Honey. Mara Davi could also be lovely.

jo
#35Breaking News: MATILDA THE MUSICAL to Open on Broadway Early 2013
Posted: 3/2/12 at 7:20pm

Talking of Bertie Carvel --

he has been cast in a cameo in the Les Miserables movie musical - in the role of Bamatabois ( the man who accuses Fantine wrongfully to Javert).

Videos