pixeltracker

Samantha Barks as Elphaba?- Page 2

Samantha Barks as Elphaba?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#25Samantha Barks as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 6:00pm

I think you could cast unknowns because Wicked is such a recognizable commodity.

If that were true then Les Miserables, a much more recognizable commodity would have been cast with unknowns.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#26Samantha Barks as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 6:01pm

How about Dakota Fanning as Glinda and Hailee Steinfeld as Elphaba?

CarlosAlberto
#27Samantha Barks as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 6:02pm

I wish Dreamgirls had never given Jennifer Hudson the idiotic "and introducing" credit.

Why? Did it really effect you that much?

CarlosAlberto
#28Samantha Barks as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 6:04pm

I agree 'little_sally'--I think 99.9% of people going to see Wicked don't care who is in it-they just want to see the show.

Yes boo boo of course, because you actually went out and took a poll and that's the figure that came up. Uh huh. Sure.

faithzilla Profile Photo
faithzilla
#29Samantha Barks as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 7:18pm

The thing about Wicked is that it was a complete phenomenon with young people. I'm currently 20 and I remember the complete fanaticism surrounding it by ALL people- not just the theatre kids. And 70% of these kids could not tell you that it was Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth they were singing along to. And 85% probably couldn't name 10 other musicals. So I have to agree that people of MY generation are going to be seeing it regardless of who's in it.

However, like I said before, they will need to pad a cast of talented unknowns with some big names. They could get relatively unknown actresses for Elphaba and Glinda, but then everyone else needs to be fairly famous.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#30Samantha Barks as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 7:27pm

If that were true then Les Miserables, a much more recognizable commodity would have been cast with unknowns.

But the difference is you shouldn't take younger children to LES MIS. You can take a 6-9 year old to WICKED with no fears.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#31Samantha Barks as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 7:29pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there something in the contracts of Menzel and Chenoweth that they got first dibs on the movie if they wanted it. I thought I heard they negotiated this once they were in the show and it "blew up" and a movie was expected to come quickly.

Updated On: 1/5/13 at 07:29 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#32Samantha Barks as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 7:35pm

Well, they care to see the show...filled with belting Godesses and riffing rifflers. How did Wicked ever get associated with riffing, anyway? I've yet to hear anyone truly riff in that show at all. People are so ignorant about music and anything involving notes and just...ugh, lol.

Lol, we finally agree. I've been saying this for years. What they do is not riffing. The one who probably came the closest to riffing the score was Shoshana Bean, and it sounded disastrous, in my opinion. REAL/traditional riffing and melisma can be found in Jazz, R&B, gospel, and soul music. Not the score of WICKED, lol.

Updated On: 1/5/13 at 07:35 PM

CarlosAlberto
#33Samantha Barks as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 8:12pm

If you want to hear riffin' on WICKED songs then get Aretha Franklin to record it....she'll riff and melisma that sucka till yo ears bleed!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#34Samantha Barks as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 8:39pm

Exactly, lol. Or Patti LaBelle.

Videos