pixeltracker

Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD- Page 2

Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD

The Scorpion
#25Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 4:10pm

Are her and Andrew still not speaking to each other? Apparently during casting for the Phantom Movie Andrew thought Patti would be perfect for the part of Carlotta but then one of his associates said " But Patti doesn't talk to you" and Andrew said " Oh well there is that" Or something along those lines. I always get a kick out of reading that part in her book LOL.

That bit of Patti's book puzzled me to be honest. I think ALW would have been well aware that this was a silly suggestion - also considering because she's Patti LuPone, not Adelina Patti. Part of me wonders whether he said this in jest to Joel Schumacher as a sarcy remark reflecting his own thoughts on LuPone and Schumacher misinterpreted it as a serious suggestion.

broadway guy
#26Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 4:14pm

Yes but Andrew is known by some to be very forgetful of the human and just be completely focused on making his art a success. Honestly, if Lupone's name meant more cash and success for the box office i have no doubt he would have rung up patti to ask her to do it,fully well knowing She hates him.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
broadway guy
#28Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 6:24pm

WOW that was beautiful. I started to tear up a bit when she stopped at the beginning.

algy Profile Photo
algy
#29Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 6:30pm

She did seem very emotional singing it this afternoon - there's definitely a lot of baggage attached to it for her still.

It was amazing though.

Movidude742 Profile Photo
Movidude742
#30Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 6:48pm

The video is property of Patti lupone

but silently I hear an echo of "Stop taking pictures, RIGHT NOW!"

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#31Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 6:59pm

Brilliant, just brilliant. And how about some kudos for Rudetsky's accompaniment. Bravo.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Movidude742 Profile Photo
Movidude742
#32Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 7:29pm

Always. the $5 a month for sethTV is always well worth it.

just today I watched Chatterboxes with Billy Porter from 9 or 10 years ago talking about turning down drag queen roles because he did not want his career going in that direction, and another with Kate Shindle and Christiane Noll where the latter talks about working on the new Wildhorn project, Dracula.

carolineorchange21 Profile Photo
carolineorchange21
#33Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 8:31pm

God, she's perfection. Seth and Patti are such a great combo - he gets away with some of the sassier things Patti might get backlash for. I love SethTV - well worth $5/month, especially now that he is releasing Chatterbox performances from the archive.

I can't stop watching this video. She starts off soft and by halfway through she's totally in the zone and kills!

"...ah, gays and their wit. Hell must be a laugh a minute!" -Evie Harris

Gothampc
#34Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 10:00pm

"What happened to Patti was the highest profile firing in Broadway history"

Um, no, because she never actually made it to Broadway. And from what I hear, Melissa Errico being fired from Passion was pretty high profile. Henry Goodman being fired from The Producers was pretty high profile. The little girl who got fired from Annie was high profile. And there are a few more.

"What makes her a true star is that even after she got fired she still returned to finish her run like a professional."

Uh, no. She was basically told she needed to get her ass back to the theater or she would have legal action brought against her.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

indytallguy
#35Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 10:05pm

This is nice, but I'll still vote for Betty Buckley as my favorite rendition.

broadway guy
#36Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 10:06pm

Yep. She wanted to quit but then someone reminded her she had a contract she needed to obey. The funny part is it was ALW who ended up having the legal action against him. I'm sure Patti loves her Swimming Pool LOL.

BroadwayTravis
#37Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 10:42pm

Very exciting. I've thought for a while on a few things. First, Patti should do a revival...for a lot of money (she deserves it) and she'll make the box office soar. It's her chance to do it in NYC. Huge.

Open in April and win the Tony she should and would have won. Make it a limited engagement like through the summer(6 months) and with HER option to extend the run for maybe the end of the year..."ring out the old, ring in the new. I'd would also ask for no matinees. That's a perfect opportunity to break someone in.

Also, her contract will have a clause that states that the show cannot start up in London for at least a year after her final performance. That's where the trouble started when LA opened with Glenn. Casting the "movie star" meant dollars and sense. Close is a great actress and capable singer, but her voice makes Norma sound like she's as old as Moses. And in the book she faced comparing Norma's.

Andrew (as a composer-they all love their sopranos)) bitched about having to lower keys for Madonna. Done in a backhanded way of course. However, also said the movie wouldn't have been made without her.

If this revival were to happen, then do us a favor, Andy, and stay out of it. He was so desperate to have have a big show like Phantom. He was licking wounds by bad reviews for Aspects of Love.

He is simply not good at casting. I guess he's gotten better with the TV shows, but all I can remember is him talking to David Frost in 1990/1991 and saying "I think Sarah should play it. She's got the age.., "Know it's the ex-wife and very talented, but not right for Evita. Also said he heard Streep sing the score and thought she sang it well, but would it be enough to say that she's brilliant considering she's a great actress.

Sorry for length, but one last thought. A big screen movie would be very good but this is Paramount's baby and rightfully so. Don't think it would be green lit to go. The alternative could filmed direct to DVD as the definitive version. It would be done in the same manner that JCS (terrible production), Cats, Company and Oklahoma. There are many more.

*And yes, they are older than 50 (nothings wrong with being 20, when you are acting 20."

I boy can dream.

broadway guy
#38Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/23/13 at 10:51pm

Patti is that you? Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD

kp
#39Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/24/13 at 2:52am

Gothampe - actually it was a rather high profile Broadway firing as her contract did state that she would play the role if the show opened in New York. You have to have a certain sympathy with her as unlike most people it is played out in public. It isn't she that she was bad in the role - she was very good, which was not enough for the producers and I can also understand that. I suspect she would play the role better now. She is 20 years down the line but can still hear sing the hell out of it but I would guess,act it better. She certainly knows the pain of rejection!
I am no mad Patti fan - we have enough of those on the board. I hadn't intended to see her London show at all but I am so glad I did. She was quite thrilling.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#40Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/24/13 at 2:59am

Gothampc you've got it all wrong.

Patti had been hired to bring the show to Broadway. It was done. It was announced. There was a HUGE ad in the New York Times announcing Patti in NY and London and Close in LA.

And Patti would have been well within her rights not to complete her run as Really Useful was already in breach of contract by denying her the role on Broadway. She returned to it because she is a professional, and a trouper.

somethingbypuccini 2 Profile Photo
somethingbypuccini 2
#41Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/24/13 at 3:06am

What is with all the crazy Patti trolls recently? Don't get me wrong, I love the girl but yikes. Calm down. She's a big girl, she doesn't need you guys having meltdowns over something that happened to her twenty years ago.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#42Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/24/13 at 3:12am

I am just sick and tired of people hateing on Patti. I'm glad she's finally getting the respect she has deserved for so long.

somethingbypuccini 2
#43Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/24/13 at 3:14am

Because people are only right now starting to respect Patti? OK.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#44Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/24/13 at 3:16am

Yeah, bro. You should see some of the vitriol that has been spewed her way on the internet. She's dealt with it her entire career but she's a survivor, baby.

somethingbypuccini 2
#45Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/24/13 at 3:19am

But that's being a performer. I've seen people hating on every major performer, in any medium. I really don't think Patti gets any particular amount of hate, as you say. Like I said, I just think everyone needs to calm down. "She's a survivor, baby" Yes she is. She is a very strong woman, and I'm sure she doesn't need people going to the lengths you are to defend her. It just comes off as desperate.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#46Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/24/13 at 3:21am

I don't see it so much as defending her as simply setting the record straight.

Updated On: 6/24/13 at 03:21 AM

somethingbypuccini 2
#47Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/24/13 at 3:22am

There ya go.

Gothampc
#48Patti LuPone Sings SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 6/24/13 at 10:37am

Yes, Patti's situation was a big deal. But she was also an established actress and knew how the business worked. And yes I do feel bad that she got the shaft after working so hard.

However, the little girl that won the Annie contest then was denied the role was really a big deal. The film clip of her crying was all over the media and there had been a big deal tv special about it that had to mention that she didn't get the role. For that little girl, it was really embarrassing.

And Henry Goodman in The Producers was also embarrassing. The man came over from London, rehearsed the show, performed in previews and then was told he wasn't Nathan Lane.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Videos