pixeltracker

Great casting replacements- Page 2

Great casting replacements

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#25Great casting replacements
Posted: 4/23/16 at 9:39pm

Emma Stone in Cabaret was sensational. I wish she'd opened the show. She's certainly have a Tony. Just the right mix of humor and pathos. 

Bernadette Peters in A Little Night Music was probably the best role she's had in years. A much better fit for her than Rose or Sally. She was stunning, incredibly funny, sexy, and moving. 

AEA AGMA SM
#26Great casting replacements
Posted: 4/23/16 at 11:03pm

Call_me_jorge said: "adamgreer said: "If we're talking historically, then certainly performances like Liza in Chicago, Pearl Bailey in Hello Dolly, and Reba in Annie Get Your Gun are at the top of the list. 

However effective they may have been, 20 years from now people will not be discussing Rory O'Malley in Hamilton or Christine Dwyer in Wicked the way they discuss the aforementioned performances. 
"

Are you from 20 years in the future?
"

You don't need to be 20 years from the future just to look at the historical trend. The performances by replacements that tend to become considered legendary are almost always the ones where the replacement is a star replacing another star (as in those examples mentioned by adamgreer).

BlackElleWoods Profile Photo
BlackElleWoods
#27Great casting replacements
Posted: 4/23/16 at 11:29pm

BroadMagTech said: "Who are some people you think did a great job of succeeding an original cast member or any actor for that matter. What did you like about their peformance?

Renee Elise Goldsberry as Mimi in RENT !!! Loved her !!!! Still my favorite Mimi 

helvizz Profile Photo
helvizz
#28Great casting replacements
Posted: 4/24/16 at 12:02am

AEA AGMA SM said: "Call_me_jorge said: "adamgreer said: "If we're talking historically, then certainly performances like Liza in Chicago, Pearl Bailey in Hello Dolly, and Reba in Annie Get Your Gun are at the top of the list. 

However effective they may have been, 20 years from now people will not be discussing Rory O'Malley in Hamilton or Christine Dwyer in Wicked the way they discuss the aforementioned performances. 
"

Are you from 20 years in the future?
"

You don't need to be 20 years from the future just to look at the historical trend. The performances by replacements that tend to become considered legendary are almost always the ones where the replacement is a star replacing another star (as in those examples mentioned by adamgreer).

"

That's because great replacements usually occur in great roles - which are usually played by stars or define stars on Broadway. But many of these actors are still very young, they still have a whole career ahead of them. So who knows what's going to happen next? For example, I'm sure many people overlook(ed) Annaleigh Ashford as Glinda in Wicked in 2008. If in 2009 someone said she had been great in Wicked, people wouldn't have thought about it twice. But now that she has a Tony, people might wonder how good she was.

Having said that, I agree it's no coincidence that most of the great replacements people have listed here are stars.

Updated On: 4/24/16 at 12:02 AM

Videos