WIZ Casting

Jon
#25re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/26/04 at 8:53am

There have been prefessional productions of the show with mixed-race casts. Susan Moniz played Dorothy at the Marriott Lincolnshire Theatre near Chicago. The producton featured actors of all ethnicities. There were a few African-American actors who tried to mount a protest. Notably, these were actors who had never been cast at the Marriott (and for that matter, had no Equity credits in the Chicago area.)

crp2000 Profile Photo
crp2000
#26re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/26/04 at 9:11am

Unfortunately, Tamyra Gray turned down the role of Dorothy...as did the R&B singer Brandy.

I'm all for the girl who is currently the understudy in Little Shop...Ta'rhea Campbell (i'm sure i spelled that wrong). Her voice is amazing!! She was once the understudy/standby for AIDA (on tour). Unknown and VERY talented!!

UDJAT Profile Photo
UDJAT
DivaMommy
#28re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/26/04 at 2:47pm

Ya know, Keala Settle played a wicked Evilene here a few years ago. Blew the roof off every night.

How about Norm Lewis for the Tinman? And they should write a new song to replace "What Would I Do If I Could Feel". Talk about boring!!!

And Taye Diggs as the Lion! ROOOOOAAAAARRRRRRRR! Baby!

...and your children start to leave you from the moment they are born.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#29re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/26/04 at 3:20pm

I agree about "what would I do".

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Kavana Profile Photo
Kavana
#30Mixing the WIAZ
Posted: 4/26/04 at 7:05pm

If they want to mix the cast up i want to see some soulful white singers

Sam Harries - any of the 3 friends

Joss Stone or Jojo as dorothy

These white girls can sing the paint off the walls

www.bahamen.com/joss