pixeltracker

Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play- Page 2

Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play

jo
#25re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play
Posted: 8/3/04 at 5:49pm

OKLAHOMA! - the Royal National Theatre version with Hugh Jackman

PASSION - Donna Murphy, Jere Shea and Marin Murphy

10TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT of LES MISERABLES - Colm Wilkinson, Michael Ball and Lea Salonga

jo
#26re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play
Posted: 8/3/04 at 6:02pm

Thanks for the link, POLisPOL.

"...Richard Price of RPTA raised the £3 million funding, and asked Chris Hunt to work alongside Trevor Nunn as a smoothly-overlapping directorial team which resulted in superb co-operation between film and stage professionals throughout..."

GBP 3 million is approx $ 5.46 million -- that's why the OKLAHOMA! DVD is a joy to behold. It was filmed like a movie. What other chances are there then for other shows to be filmed well, as someone in the article said directly taping a show onstage never works re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play

Now, I understand why the producers of THE BOY FROM OZ may be hesitant about what I thought was a relatively simple decision. We need at least a hundred thousand petitioners willing to pay $ 50 each for the DVD re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play...Unless there is a Broadway angel out there re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play

Plum
#27re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play
Posted: 8/3/04 at 6:13pm

They don't necessarily need to give The Boy From Oz the full sound stage treatment. In fact, considering the audience interaction portion of it, they probably shouldn't. Wouldn't it be cheaper to film a performance in the theater, a la Sweeney Todd, etc.?

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#28re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play
Posted: 8/3/04 at 6:14pm

Just to clarify, Pol is a man. re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#29re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play
Posted: 8/3/04 at 6:18pm

I LOVE the 10th-Anniversary DVD/VHS of Les Miserables. The audio recording too; it's even better than the cast recordings. Stellar cast, and what a phenomenal performance of the show!

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#30re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play
Posted: 8/3/04 at 6:20pm

there are ways much much cheaper to film a show...
in oklahoma they spent a lot of money shooting in a studio, with film.
But they can shoot on hi-def and in the theatre (same as fosse or jekyll) and this is much much much cheaper...
in fact the cost of a shooting like this is more or less 30.000$ which is usually covered by a tv station. I'm talking only about the technical costs (production van, cameras, technicians, sound..) the expensive part are the rights to the author, the money for the actors...

btw.. yes! i'm a man! (or this is what my mother told me)

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!
Updated On: 8/3/04 at 06:20 PM

Jaynrand Profile Photo
Jaynrand
#31re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play
Posted: 8/3/04 at 11:48pm

INTO THE WOODS
PUTTING IT TOGETHER

I really love the idea of having an Original Cast DVD - then years from now there can be no "You should have seen...." arguments. It would be there for us to see.

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#32re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play
Posted: 8/3/04 at 11:50pm

Les Miserables 10th Anniversary
Into the Woods
Sweeney Todd

Basically what everyone else said.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

Lesbian4Broadway
#33re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play
Posted: 8/4/04 at 3:28pm

Sweeney Todd (Angela Lansbury, George Hearn)
Sunday In the Park With George

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#34re: Best DVD/VHS of a Broadway Musical/Play
Posted: 8/4/04 at 4:06pm

it's a shame there are not more to watch -- but then again, the point of theater is to see it live -- but I'd still like to see many, many more productions saved :)

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

Videos