News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for GovernorSlaton

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
Member Name: GovernorSlaton
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: 1st preview  Oct 30 2014, 02:20:53 AM
I was there tonight and loved it too. While the original had wonderful moments, I think this version is a vast improvement in just about every area. The storytelling is much stronger and I think allows for a greater emotional impact, especially at "I Will Never Leave You."

Re: "Ready to Play," the number accomplishes something important that "We Share Everything" did not -- it signals the twins' sexual liberation. With the new flashback and the trial scene, a lot more is made of their n

wow...this is really next seasons crop of new musicals?  Jul 13 2011, 06:28:44 PM
It's July. Be patient.
re: best opening lyric  Aug 9 2007, 09:40:18 PM
Nothin' ever happened underground in Louisiana
'Cuz there ain't no underground in Louisiana
There is only
Underwater

re: Do you feel that Sondheim is a better composer or lyricist?  Jul 24 2007, 10:58:42 PM
Music.
re: Gypsy! Is Patti Coming out. LOL  Jul 16 2007, 10:51:18 PM
A friend of mine saw the show tonight and got her autograph, as did a bunch of others -- not sure where, but I don't think it was a special exit.
re: Worst Lyrics in a musical theatre song  Jun 17 2007, 04:05:32 PM
I don't really think Cole Porter needs anyone to defend his lyrics, but I've always thought that that line (in addition to several others like it in Kiss Me, Kate) was a joke about the sometimes strange stresses of iambic pentameter. I.e., if one follows the rhythms of that first line, the emphasis is placed thusly: DEM-o-CRAC-y.
re: Musicals Not Based on Anything  Nov 23 2006, 05:27:22 PM
Everything is "based" on something, but the question asked what musicals were not based on a book, a play, a movie, etc. Company started with Furth's unproduced plays, so I would argue that it is original. Sunday is a completely original story, as is Into the Woods. I would also classify musicals based on real-life events as original (Dreamgirls, Chorus Line, Caroline or Change).
re: English History....any plays on the topic?  Sep 17 2006, 02:01:16 PM
First thing that came to my head was A Man For All Seasons, about Sir Thomas More and Henry VIII.
re: Sondheim Roles created for specific performers  Jul 14 2006, 02:15:17 PM
True, but Sondheim did tailor the part to Lansbury's talents. Same with Cariou.
re: For those of you who have seen Spelling Bee.....  Jul 12 2006, 10:32:24 PM
She was wonderful at Second Stage, but even better once they moved to Broadway -- probably the biggest improvement in the cast.
re: Question: 'Stay With Me'  Jul 1 2006, 02:01:59 AM
There were some good answers to the question here, which led to my discovery of a different point. The fact that the witch does not mention giants as something Rapunzel needs to watch out for, when a giant ends up killing her in Act 2, adds to the witch's flaws as a mother.
re: When a Show Permanently Damages a Performers Singing Voice..  Jul 1 2006, 01:53:11 AM
I don't know anything about Norbert's experience with DRS, but simply talking for an extended period of time in a show can be more taxing vocally than singing.
re: When a Show Permanently Damages a Performers Singing Voice..  Jun 30 2006, 11:22:03 PM
I don't know if it was permanent, but Tonya Pinkins' voice was not in great shape by the end of Caroline, or Change.
re: Wow - encores is doing FOLLIES  Jun 30 2006, 09:41:52 AM
I'd much rather see them do Anyone Can Whistle like they've been hinting (though even that had a concert not too long ago, in the 90's). But as it is my favorite Sondheim score, I'll be there.
re: Wow - encores is doing FOLLIES  Jun 30 2006, 09:41:43 AM

re: Catchiest score ever?  Jun 29 2006, 04:07:19 PM
South Pacific. After the first time seeing it, I remembered every single song.
re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances  Jun 12 2006, 12:10:00 AM
I actually thought Threepenny was great -- since they don't have a real crowd-pleasing number, they probably figured "Pimp" (which showcases both Cumming and Lauper) would be the best choice. I loved the show and the number, so maybe I'm a little biased. Color Purple, Drowsy, and Jersey Boys were all very good, Wedding Singer was energetic if derivative musically, Sweeney was a bit of a mess, and Pajama Game (especially the Hernando's Hideaway section) didn't wow me like it did in the theater.
re: Good Luck, Jayne Houdyshell!  Jun 11 2006, 12:31:37 PM
Just adding another "Good Luck" to Ms. Houdyshell -- her performance was phenomenal.
re: What would be your sweetest Tony upset?  Jun 10 2006, 11:54:39 PM
Lisa Kron winning.
re: I love this Cast Recording?  Jun 10 2006, 12:22:33 AM
The London Sunday in the Park CD is excellent -- though Patinkin and Peters are hard to replace, Evans and Russell do an admirable job. I enjoy the fact that they sound more like a couple than the originals (especially in the first scene). Both "Sunday"s are beautiful, and the cast as a whole is superb. A Broadway run would be great.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You