pixeltracker

The Hello Dolly Appreciation Thread- Page 2

The Hello Dolly Appreciation Thread

UsherMJD
#25re: The Hello Dolly Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:27pm

Ok. . . I was being a little facetious when I said she "stole" the role from channing. I DID mention that it was the STUDIO that chose BARBARA for the role. . . but apparently some of us on this message board can't read past the first line of a post.

And I'm gonna call her babs. . . I think its fun to say!

Anywho. . . true fans of Hello Dolly prefer Channing to Babs.

By the way. . . I vagely remember a scene where she kept eating dinner rolls or something. . . it was hysterical! I've only seen the stage version once. Is this in the script, or was it Carol's own thing?

Allie
#26re: The Hello Dolly Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:30pm

I would have LOVED to see Carol Channing as Dolly. I saw her on a PBS special (it was Channing and Pearl Bailey doing all kinds of songs), and she was just hilarious!

Feodor Sverdlov
#27re: The Hello Dolly Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:11pm

She was eating dumplings, and it was in the script; but Carol certainly made the most of it!

scooter3843

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#28re: The Hello Dolly Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:27pm

when i saw DOLLY, i believed they used cotton candy, because she was chugging it down REALLY fast.

RIP glebby <3

junglered Profile Photo
junglered
#29re: The Hello Dolly Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:27pm

Hello, Dolly! is my favorite Jerry Herman musical and "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" is one of my very favorite theatre songs of all time.

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#30re: The Hello Dolly Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:59pm

I was in Hello Dolly in 8th grade....I was supposed to be Dolly (that's why they picked the show...for me)...and some stupid ingenue wanna be stole my part....(not that I'm bitter...)
But I still love this show...it was the third musical I ever saw on TV and I fell in love with it...my mom has videos of me as a 5 year old singing 'put on your sunday clothes"....hee!
I had a crush on cornelius hackle for a long time, too, it seems, but I don't remember that.
And, for the record, (and maybe it's because of the first time I saw it) but I think Barbara was SWEET in this movie....she's who inspired me to try theatre in the first place..I wanted to be like her...
Funny story..when I first heard the original broadway album with Carol Channing on it, I thought someone was playing a trick on me.....that voice! ARGHH...but now I'm used to it, so I don't mind as much any more

Was that a fat joke?

FabalaCohen
#31re: The Hello Dolly Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/23/05 at 12:15am

We put this on my junior year, and I had tried out for the role of Mrs. Molloy (a role that went to the drama teacher's senior daughter). I saw it both nights it was put on, and I must say our first Dolly was simply wonderful for HS.

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

Videos