News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for UsherMJD

Member Name: UsherMJD
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: RENT RIGHTS.
 Mar 29 2005, 02:43:17 PM
The rights for Beauty and the Beast have been available for about a year or so now. . . and amature productions are being done. It wouldn't suprise me if, in anticipation of the movie, they released the rights in order to boost the show's popularity nation-wide. After the movie people across the country would then not have to go to NYC to see a production of the show.
re: does anyone know the store across from the Majestic, and next to the Pr
 Mar 28 2005, 08:28:15 PM
That's funny. . . I've never noticed it. I go to Broadway New York all the time, but I guess I don't stroll down 44th street enough. I will DEFINATLEY check it out next month when I see spamalot.
re: What shows should still be running
 Mar 28 2005, 08:16:23 PM
Ok. . . I agree with ALL of you EXCEPT those who liked Cats. . . I can't believe it lasted as long as it did. . . . and I'm only talking about the Gus the Theater Cat number.

. . . It appears that NO ONE mentioned the roundabout revival of NINE!!!! They FLOODED THE STAGE EACH NIGHT!!! It was the most beautiful and perfect peice of musical theater I've ever seen. I wish it were still open and with Eartha Kit still in it.

but other than that I second (and 3rd and 4th. . .

re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
 Mar 28 2005, 08:00:08 PM
Acctually lizzie, I'm referring to the last time I saw Les Miz, which I believe was in 2003. . . . this was the touring production, although I can't remember what was different in the NY production. I believe that there might have been some added details to the NY show, but because the touring production continued after it closed on Broadway. . . my statment is true.

re: Danceable Showtunes...(sweet sixteen crap!)
 Mar 28 2005, 05:55:25 PM
Well I'm not sure if your example is based on the techno/dance club feel of the song, or the "dragshow" theme.

I'm not too sure how many other showtunes have that type of musical style. . . but if its the theme you're going for, I'd say that a few songs from the Rocky Horror Show are danceable. That is to say . . . more like swing dancing than night club dancing.

Some powerful upbeat songs are "Sensation" from TOMMY or even pinball wizard (not that those songs fit ur the

re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
 Mar 28 2005, 05:37:23 PM
The CSR is 100% accurate to how Les Miz was last performed in America. I'm not sure about over seas. . . but as for about two stanzas of extra lyrics (not seen on stage) ALL of the show in included on that one recording.

If you have seen les miz live you will want the CSR simply for the sake of hearing all the music and being able to relive all the scenes.

On a side note. . . I'm looking for a cassette version of the show to play in my car. But I've found it difficult to

re: most touching moments in the theatre
 Jan 30 2005, 01:38:51 PM
I second that! in regards to 42nd street. That is the best scene in musical theater.

However, one of my favorites is basically the last two scenes of "Man of La Mancha" When Aldonza comes and convinces Alonzo that he really is Don Quixote and sings Dulcinea and Impossible dream to him, where he then comes back to life saying "What is sickness to the body of a Knight errant? . . ." Then later when Cervantes leaves the dungeon and all of the prisoners sing back to him The Impossible Dr

re: Cheesy Lines in Good Shows...
 Jan 30 2005, 01:31:09 PM
Cats. . . its one big two hour long cheesy line, put to music and with choreography.

I know we're supposed to talking about Cheesy lines in good shows, but when the entire show is the cheesy line you have to mention it.

But I must also add. . . (and I don't have the libretto in front of me so I'm paraphrasing) "I think I found my green glass love. - I just found me, an emrald" -Millie

(Someone correct me w/ the word for word quote if I got it wrong)

re: Miss Saigon casting question...
 Jan 30 2005, 01:20:18 PM
I think inthemoney is a little confused. . . Chris is the character who has a child with Kim. Not John, but there IS a line in the show where kim meets Ellen, and she assumes that ellen is John's wife. In the original production, John was white.

Unfortunatley, roles become type cast this way. I'm not sure why. But the same has happened with Jesus Christ Superstar. Since Ben Vereen played the role on Broadway, Judas has most often been played by an actor of african desent.

re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
 Jan 30 2005, 01:07:14 PM
I think I remember hearing good reviews for "Sweet Smell of Success" a few years ago. . . Marvin Hamlish wrote the music and I believe John Lithgow acctually won a Tony for his performance in it, but the show closed only after a few months. I'm not sure what the whole story was w/ that.
re: HoW MAnY hAvE YoU SeEn?
 Jan 30 2005, 01:04:15 PM
Ok people. . . are we counting regional theater as well???

I have unfortunatley lost track, I know that I have seen close to 80 DIFFERENT shows

The number of performances must be well over 100 for me, because I work at a touring theater stop and see everything more than once. (I've seen Mamma Mia and Phantom wayyyy too many times)

I have only seen 6 shows acctually ON Broadway.

re: Hairspray appreciation thread!
 Jan 23 2005, 02:31:19 PM
I never thought that one was capable of falling head over heels in love with a fictional character. . . but that all changed when Penny Pingleton walked on stage. . . I want to marry her!

And yeah. . . fav song. . . Without Love

re: Favorite Show You've Never Seen
 Jan 22 2005, 09:45:47 PM
Ah. . . yes I have been known to sing along with Laura.

"something inside me grows weak, something inside me surrenders. . ."

re: Antonio Banderas
 Jan 22 2005, 09:41:43 PM
He did star in Nine, and from what I've heard, Maury Yeston (who wrote Nine) is writing a brand new musical just for Banderas to star in. I'm not sure about the other details, but I remember hearing him say that in an interview.

(I didn't get to see him in Nine, I saw John Stamos instead. But he was very good.)

re: ushering/front of the house jobs
 Jan 22 2005, 09:37:59 PM
You get to join the Usher's union. . . not the Actors union. (AEA)

I usher at some regional theaters in RI, and its a voulenteer position. But any experience you get like that will probably help your chances of getting hired on Broadway

re: Favorite Show You've Never Seen
 Jan 22 2005, 09:34:52 PM
The Rocky Horror Show

Seen the movie, love the songs. . . never seen the stage version.

Shira. . . do u have the Nine Revival cast rec.? That show was amazing. . . You have to keep an eye out, and see that someday.

re: The Hello Dolly Appreciation Thread
 Jan 22 2005, 09:27:53 PM
Ok. . . I was being a little facetious when I said she "stole" the role from channing. I DID mention that it was the STUDIO that chose BARBARA for the role. . . but apparently some of us on this message board can't read past the first line of a post.

And I'm gonna call her babs. . . I think its fun to say!

Anywho. . . true fans of Hello Dolly prefer Channing to Babs.

By the way. . . I vagely remember a scene where she kept eating dinner rolls or something.

re: Single Favorite Song From Composers
 Jan 22 2005, 09:15:49 PM
Ok. . . I'm going to stretch the composer/lyricist argument and say that "One Hand one Heart" is my fav Sondheim song, because he collaborated on West Side Story. (sorry, I'm not too familliar w/ his other works, plus no one mentioned Bernstien so I had to)

ALW = The Perfect Year
Menken = If I Can't Love Her
A&F = New Music
K&E = Mr. Celophane
R&H = Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful?

And. . . Menken and Ashman ARE and forever will be the greatest creati

re: The Hello Dolly Appreciation Thread
 Jan 21 2005, 11:04:14 PM
First of all. . . Babs STOLE that role from Channing. Ok, its not a personal thing or anything, but the studio went with the hollywood name and not the theater one and its just a shame.

I saw carol in the oppening night performance of the revival's tour in Providence. I believe it might have been before it went to broadway that time. . . I'm not sure. I was about 7 years old. . . (it was my first main-stream musical I ever saw aside from the non-equity JCStour w/ ted neeley and car

re: Learning to belt and I need some help
 Jan 21 2005, 10:51:29 PM
broadwaybelter has the idea. . .

You should be concious of the fact that your voice can feel "tired". . . but it should never hurt. If your voice feels soar or scratchy after you sing, you're doing it wrong.

If you're good at visualization, maybe it will help you to visualize that the air you use to sing with should never touch the walls of your throat. When you sing incorrectly it feels as though the air you are singing with is acctually scratching your throat while you si

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You