pixeltracker

Musicals Without Overtures- Page 2

Musicals Without Overtures

shermanslave Profile Photo
shermanslave
#25re: Musicals Without Overtures
Posted: 12/22/03 at 10:07pm

I still don't get this thread. Is it with or without overtures?

Please visit Bitchy Waiter

#26re: re: Musicals Without Overtures
Posted: 12/22/03 at 11:04pm

CapnHook is no where to be found to clarify the mystery.

Broadway Bulldog.

#27re: re: re: Musicals Without Overtures
Posted: 12/23/03 at 1:19am

Then let's just say it's for musicalsw without overtures. re: re: re: Musicals Without Overtures

Neither "Little Shop" nor "Fiddler on the Roof" have overtures.

Joshua

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#28re: re: re: re: Musicals Without Overtures
Posted: 12/23/03 at 12:32pm

I apologise, I caught the flu. Hadn't the strength to go upstairs to get online.

I had meant WITHOUT Overtures.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

tcoppola
#29re: re: re: re: re: Musicals Without Overtures
Posted: 12/23/03 at 12:51pm

Once on this Island - no overture
Best Little Whorehouse - no overture (I think...)
West Side Story - no overture, per se...the beginning is danced, so it's not an overture in the true sense.
Grease - no overture

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#30re: re: re: re: re: re: Musicals Without Overtures
Posted: 12/24/03 at 10:27am

Parade has no overture but it does have that haunting drum beat that starts and finishes the show.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

BroadwayBaby3 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby3
#31re: re: re: re: Musicals Without Overtures
Posted: 12/24/03 at 10:44am

some corrections: gypsy, mamma mia, urinetown, and oklahoma all have overtures. maybe there's just confusion because of the subject saying "without" but the post saying "with".

Defy Gravity!!

#32re: re: re: re: re: Musicals Without Overtures
Posted: 12/24/03 at 10:50am

Does this mean I was within some sense of reason when I correctly stated the GYPSY has an overture and contradicted someone who wrote that it did not?

Bulldog.

Dollypop
#33re: re: re: re: re: re: Musicals Without Overtures
Posted: 12/25/03 at 9:57am

Most shows that were directed by the late Gower Champion did not have overtures. He hated them because the audience frequently talked right through them--something verified many years ago while the two blu haired ladies in front of me during Linda Lavin's GYPSY chatted away while the orchestra played that thrilling overture. When I "shhh'ed" them, one responded, "It's only music."

Anyhow, the original production of TWHM did not have an overture. It was added when Pearl Bailey revived the show in 1975.

I DO! I DO! doesn't have an overture

CARNIVAL! lacks an overture, but has one of the most effective openings in musical theater.

The original BYE BYE BIRDIE had an overture, but it was an underscoring to a slide show of 60's teens.

THE HAPPY TIME lacked an overture, but started with the title tune--and another slide show.

IRENE had an overture that was "acted out".

ROCKABYE HAMLET lacked an overture, but started with the wedding of Gertrude and Claudius (the whole show was a messs).

Yes, MACK AND MABEL had an overture.

Did the original 42ND STREET have an overture or did it just start with that very effective opening number?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Videos