pixeltracker

Controversial high school prod. of "Big River" in Glenelg, Maryland- Page 2

Controversial high school prod. of "Big River" in Glenelg, Maryland

gypsy71
#25re: Controversial high school prod. of 'Big River' in Glenelg, Maryland
Posted: 11/11/05 at 8:20pm

I worked at the Weathervane Theatre in New Hampshire a few summers ago as the resident costume designer. It is an equity summerstock theatre. We did a production of Big River where Huck was african american and so was Jim. The girl who played Sarahs daughter was Asian. The show did very well. Weathervane is very big on non traditional casting. I designed a production of The Wiz that summer where Evilene was played by a skinny white guy in drag. As far as copywrite holders or any other legal issues, this is the first I have heard of. I believe sometimes non traditional casting works and sometimes it doesnt. I do think it is a good thing when people talk about live theatre. I am sure this schools production will reap from the free publicity.

Its not where you start its where you finish..

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#26re: Controversial high school prod. of 'Big River' in Glenelg, Maryland
Posted: 11/11/05 at 9:59pm

OK, OK, Listen: What if there were a story about this place where people's faces were half-black and half-white?? But, get this, here's the kicker: some people are white on the right side and black on the left side, while others are white on the LEFT side and black on the RIGHT side. Now THAT would be cah-RAZY! Why doesn't some play, movie, or even a TV show do a story about that?!

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"
Updated On: 11/11/05 at 09:59 PM

LostLeander
#27re: Controversial high school prod. of 'Big River' in Glenelg, Maryland
Posted: 11/13/05 at 1:14pm

The comment regarding how white people can't play roles that black people play, but black people can play white roles isn't racist at all.

Annie Oakley, or Oklahoma for that matter, do not approach the subject of race. Most "black shows" are about black people and are race specefic, and ABOUT black people, and unless the show does not call any attention to race, like The Wiz, or Smokey Joe's Cafe, and the like, then it's FINE to have "color blind" casting.

Big River is NOT a "color-blind" casting show. Unless they reversed EVERYONE, then it doesn't make much sense.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#28re: Controversial high school prod. of 'Big River' in Glenelg, Maryland
Posted: 11/13/05 at 2:14pm

Chris I think you'd love the song "Simple" from Anyone Can Whistle by Stephen Sondheim.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Videos