How Rude

bunchamuncha Profile Photo
bunchamuncha
#25re: How Rude
Posted: 6/12/05 at 2:33pm

And what if one doesn't like the show or a performer/performance? Far too many people clap for subpar performances/shows (it's like the standing ovation, it's almost expected one should be given now and it has lost any kind of meaning)

If you really want to help the American theater, don't be an actress, dahling. Be an audience..... Don't be taken in by the guff that critics are killing the theater. Commonly they sin on the side of enthusiasm. Too often they give their blessing to trash... Tallulah Bankhead

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#26re: How Rude
Posted: 6/12/05 at 2:38pm

If I hate both the show, and don't think the performers were good (or at least didn't give any effort), I probably won't clap (granted this generally isn't professional theater, it's college shows). If I thought the actors at least tried then I'll clap politely. And of course if I loved it, my hands will be sore like I was trying to save Tinkerbell.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#27re: How Rude
Posted: 6/12/05 at 2:44pm

Ugh. -____-

Everything here is so true. When I went to see Wicked in Chicago, my friend who was sitting beside me didn't really know what was going on (she knew the soundtrack, but nothing in between). And she kept whispering to me, "Why did she do that? Is he mad? Did she really mean that? What's going to happen next?"

And I sort of gave this...evil boogly eye and told her, "I don't know, Kelly. Why don't we watch it, and find out together?"

She got the hint.

This is my signature.

crazy smiles Profile Photo
crazy smiles
#28re: How Rude
Posted: 6/12/05 at 2:52pm

I love the curtain call. I like to give credit to the whole cast and give a standing o, but in most shows everyone is sitting until the leads come out and it seems awkward to stand the whole time in front of someone sitting behind me. I don't feel its rude, but people will tell me to sit, why?

complaintdept. Profile Photo
complaintdept.
#29re: How Rude
Posted: 6/12/05 at 2:55pm

I don't know about the expectation that a Standing O is requisite. I've only been to a few shows actually on Broadway, but see all the productions here in Kansas City. A year or so ago, a production of Kiss Me Kate came through, and I couldn't wait to get out. There was no Standing O, hardly any applause at all to justify thier curtain call. I'll only stand if the performance dictates that I get up.

Now, at the big Starlight Theather (outdoor theatre with 8000+ seats), many people head to their cars during curtain call or closing numbers. Prior to the show, the exec. producer emplores patrons to remain in their seats as a sign of courtesy, and theatre-goers appreciate his request. But for those who want to beat the traffic, it's a stampede. On those really hot nights, I can empathize, but when it's nice, let's stay and enjoy the cast.

What's that I smell in the air? The American dream.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#30re: How Rude
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:04pm

A friend of mine once said, only half joking, that a standing ovation in NYC is the audience trying to justify what they paid for a ticket.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#31re: How Rude
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:05pm

We're living in an age of entitlement and disrespect is considered cool. This board illustrates this on a daily basis. None of this is surprising.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#32re: How Rude
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:12pm

"Age of entitlement and disrespect is cool." No offense, but that's been going on since the '60's. It has, however, worsened.

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#33re: How Rude
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:17pm

I guess it's something the performers just get used to. I do, however, think it's incredibly rude. Yet if you look at it from the rich old lady who comes to the theatre every weekend...she's paying $5200 a year, she can leave whenever she likes.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#34re: How Rude
Posted: 6/12/05 at 4:31pm

There's also the pre-intermission bathroom rush, especially for the ladies. For example, if you know that it's the last notes of the Act 1 Finale, and you have to pee, you may want to run for the bathroom, because if you are a girl, and there's a line, you may not get to the bathroom in less than 15 minutes. It's true.

Granted, I don't think I've ever done it. But until theaters install more bathrooms, what hope have we to go to the ladies room, have a drink of water, and take a breather before Act 2 begins? In the Lyceum Theatre, I believe there is ONE bathroom in the entire balcony.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#35re: How Rude
Posted: 6/12/05 at 4:37pm

I've seen it many times at smaller local shows and its even worse then sometimes because its much more noticable to the performers when some of the audience gets up and leaves. I can't understand how people think that curtain call is the time to start getting up and chatting on cell phones etc (seen that happen as well). I find it extremely rude and disrespectful and I hate it when it happens but there's not much that can be done about it.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

SMiller
#36re: How Rude
Posted: 6/13/05 at 8:48pm

I agree. This is so rude. They work so hard and it looks like people don't appreciate them.

SMiller

Videos