Sutton as Elphaba?

brdlwyr
#25re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:08pm

Hunter would be great - he could hit all of the notes!

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#26re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:09pm

I'd pay to watch Sutton plant cabbage seeds. The thing is...Sutton's voice just doesn't seem right for Elphaba. And she's just on to bigger, better, greater things.

This is my signature.

CollegeKid
#27re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:10pm

who is your mom? Anyway, I think what makes her amazing is that she has brought back to Broadway the "golden age" presence that say Julie Andrews possessed. Her voice is good but not amazing. You cannot compare her to Shoshanna Bean, or Laura Benati or Kelli O'Hara, or Linda Eder

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#28re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:12pm

CollegeKid, now that you brign up those performers, I agree with you. I realize I should've in the first palce considering those are the singers I idolize and imitate. So I guess you're right, Sutton Foster does have the presence. Otherwise, why would I be such a fan?

Jimmyojimmy Profile Photo
Jimmyojimmy
#29re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:12pm

Collegekid, I respect you r opinion but to say that Sutton's voice is mediocre, is ... just ... WRONG. Shes amazing.

CollegeKid
#30re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:16pm

i will rephrase that....Mediocre for Broadway...

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#31re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:20pm

I happen to think her voice is better than Shoshana Bean's and Linda Eder's.

CollegeKid....she did not modify "Gimme Gimme," it was sang as written. In Little Women she hit the D sharp. At her concert she sang an F.

She has presence, but I think she is an incredible vocalist as well.

Jimmyojimmy
#32re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:20pm

Whatever floats your boat, but I still think youre wrong

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#33re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:22pm

I always..HATE when people compare performers that are so close together in talent. Their voices are SO different. You simply cannot compare Shoshana and Sutton, or Idina with Laura Benanti, or Liz Callaway to Linda Eder. It just isn't possible. Of course, you could judge off of general appeal to the public, but even THAT'S hard because each performer has a different appeal to a different type of person, thus each performer has a different audience almost.

Edited for stupid grammar errors.

This is my signature.
Updated On: 8/8/05 at 10:22 PM

CollegeKid
#34re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:22pm

I am sure she can sing an F. But not belt it. And...do you think seth lied? are you an authority on this?

ashley0139
#35re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:24pm

That comment makes my blood boil. A mediocre voice?!?! She could sing the hell out of that role. Or any other for that matter. Her voice is incredible. An actress that can sing? Where did you get that?

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

BroadwayGirl107
#36re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:28pm

YES, she can belt and F. I heard it with my own two ears.

What interview with Seth are you referring to?

If you mean to tell me she modified "Gimme Gimme," are you questioning what I heard with my own two ears each of the many times I saw Millie?
Updated On: 8/8/05 at 10:28 PM

CollegeKid
#37re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:30pm

yes i am questioning your musical sense.

BroadwayGirl107
#38re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:32pm

You are idiotic. That is the nicest way I can put that. I saw Millie quite a few times and she did NOT alter "Gimme Gimme." In FACT, she sang every note that is there on the recording, except with greater power, and better sound.

Question my musical sense, but you're the one who didn't know what note she was hitting in "Astonishing." At least have an idea of what you're talking about before you speak.
Updated On: 8/8/05 at 10:32 PM

Jimmyojimmy
#39re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:33pm

Yeah I agree Bwaygirl107, I saw Little Women and she definately went to an E flat (thank you perfect pitch) and I was there with my voice teacher and her opera friends and we were all floored. She is amazing, simply put. And I doubt she would modify Gimme Gimme, she has stated in interviews that she enjoyed singing every minute of Gimme Gimme the most out of anything in the show, so I doubt she would question Jeanine's compositions, and modify them.

ashley0139
#40re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:40pm

Aww! I love my fellow Sutton fans who will stick up for her just as much as I will!

I heard her live in Little Women. I had heard a lot about her, and heard her on recordings but never seen her live. I was looking forward being pleasantly surprised. I ended up being completely blown away. Never seen anyone like her on stage.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Jimmyojimmy
#41re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:43pm

ashley, I had heard (and been obssesed with) Millie for a while before I saw Little Women and to see her live just put a smile on my face the whole time, I was (forgive me) astonished. I almost couldnt talk to her at the stage door I was so completely blown away. And to be so humble, I love this woman.

PJ
#42re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:51pm

Sutton is THE female stage actor of this generation. No one else comes close in my opinion. And this is coming from a huge Idina and Kristin fan.

SongNDanceman2402
#43re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 11:19pm

if she did do it, i have no doubt that she could belt out all the songs, but she is defenitly not the character type for elphaba. sutton foster rocks, but i dont think she could act it.

SongNDanceman2402
#44re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 11:21pm

but i dont know about her very much so dont listen to me.

brdlwyr
#45re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 11:25pm

Hunter would be better.

BroadwayBabe2587
#46re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/9/05 at 2:48am

Sutton as Elphaba...?
I don't think so.
I mean yes she is totally capable of singing/acting the part but why even consider it when The Drowsy Chaperone is in the works?

As for the comments about her "mediocre" voice?
Umm...I TOTALLY disagree. I've seen her twice live.
Once in Millie and once in Little Women and she was NOTHING short
of phenomenal in both. She embodies TRUE musical theatre talent and that's one of the many things that I love about her.

And yes. brdlwyr- Hunter would look hot green. LMAO.
Sutton-Fame.Cjb.Net - - - - A Sutton Foster Fansite

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#47re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/9/05 at 3:25am

"You are idiotic. That is the nicest way I can put that."

That comment just cracks me up!!!

SummerInOhio2
#48re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/9/05 at 9:00am

I think Sutton has a phenomenal voice and is a powerhouse in her own right. Someone told me once that Sutton Foster was once involved in the workshops of Wicked as one of Galinda's schoolmates. OBVIOUSLY the parts have been almost done away with, but during the workshops they were bigger roles. I mean I guess Sutton didn't do it for obvious reasons. But it's an interesting sidenote.

Di2
#49re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/9/05 at 9:04am

She would never do it. Sutton is a "show opener." She would never star as sloppy thirteenths or however many Elphaba's there have been.

Videos