Sutton as Elphaba?

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#1Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:10pm

I'm a little torn about this other hypothetical situation. There's no doubt that she could easily sing and act the part, but she doesn't seem to be quite the right type.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#2re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:11pm

I can see her as that.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#3re: Sutton as Elphaba?

I don't think she is. She just seems too...nice and sweet. Her features are too soft. I can't imagine her as Elphaba.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4re: Sutton as Elphaba?

Not every female that has ever performed on Broadway would make a good Elphaba.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#5re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:12pm

Another hypothetical question:

Why?

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#6re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:13pm

I dont think she can pull it off, well im sure she could but i dont like the idea.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#7re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:15pm

ljay889, I never said that. Thenardier, I'm allowed to post my ideas. Don't read my posts if they annoy you.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#8re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:15pm

I'm all for unconventional casting. I think she'd be unique and wonderful.

I'd rather see her do something new though.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#9re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:16pm

Please. Her career is going in much better places than to go in as a replacement in any show, let alone WICKED. Bring on THE DROWSY CHAPERONE!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#10re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:16pm

Elphaba is a rock/pop belt. Sutton has a GORGEOUS legit musical theatre belt. Her voice is more...innocentish, young. Sort of thing. Voice types just don't match.

This is my signature.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#11re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:20pm

WannaBeaFoster hit it right on the head.

Could she? Sure. Would she? Why.

Elphaba is a fantastic role, but Sutton Foster is a Tony Award winning actress. She's at the point where she can originate rolls, not be the 3rd person to play them.

I am looking forward to The Drowsy Chaperone here in LA, I just wish they'd officially announce Sutton as the lead.
Updated On: 8/9/05 at 09:20 PM

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#12re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:21pm

Search

Search

Search

Now I know THIS has been done.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#13re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:22pm

I've heard it too...Sutton and Idina have also been compared themselves.

This is my signature.

CollegeKid
#14re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:26pm

The highest I have ever heard Sutton belt was a D which is the end of Astonishing and one note in gimme gimme. Also, when i saw her in Little Women she did not even go up to the D and Seth Rudetsky said on one of his shows that she altered that part of Gimme Gimme after the recording. Elphaba belts an F some E's and a lot of D's and C's. Sutton could never do it!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:27pm

I personally think Victoria Clark should be the next Elphaba.

Now she'd make one DAMN GOOD Elphie.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#16re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:36pm

Collegekid, Astonishing went up to an E flat. And Sutton can belt an F.

CollegeKid
#17re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:51pm

Why would she not go up to the D sharp if she can hit it consistently and why would she modify gimme gimme? answer that one...Sutton is definitely an actress that can sing. Her voice is mediocre compared to a number of other performers out there. I think she is a great performer but vocally she is just fine.
Updated On: 8/8/05 at 09:51 PM

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#18re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:52pm

She could've very well been sick the day that you saw her. And are you sure she didn't give a reason while she was talking to Seth?

ETA: I just read your post again. Do you mind making a bit more sense? Particularly the first and second half.

This is my signature.
Updated On: 8/8/05 at 09:52 PM

CollegeKid
#19re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:57pm

seth said that she had said that her voice was shot from the D and she had to modify it for fear of doing permanent damage.

My Fair Lady
#20re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:01pm

CollegeKid-Did you just say Sutton Foster has a mediocre voice? Maybe compared to Julie Andrews but not compared to performers of today!

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#21re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:03pm

Of course she could pull it off! We'd just have to wait and see what she did, but her past work has been great. Playing Elphaba, IMO, is not going to be too much of a challenge her and I think she'd do just fine.

BTW, My Fair Lady, you say her features are too soft, Are you talking about her facial features(I can't think of anything else)? Anyways, I don't think that would stop her at all.

CollegeKid
#22re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:04pm

I could name a number of people that are better than her. Her voice is not what makes her special. Her acting and presence in general is whats awesome. There are plenty of voices out there that are better than sutton's

My Fair Lady
#23re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:07pm

Yeah, I was talking about facial expressions. And CollegeKid, I don't think it's her presence that makes her. My mom says that she has a great voice, but compared to the stars of the Golden Age and 60s (pretty much, Julie Andrews), she has no presence.

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#24re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:08pm

I'd see her as Elphaba

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

brdlwyr
#25re: Sutton as Elphaba?
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:08pm

Hunter would be great - he could hit all of the notes!

Videos