pixeltracker

London/Broadway recordings- Page 2

London/Broadway recordings

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#25re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/20/05 at 5:12am

I agree completely about the Chicago recording - I much prefer the London Revival to the equivelent Broadway version.

I also agree about Into the Woods - it was one of my very first West End musicals and first Sondheim, and though I couldn't have taken it all in at the tender age of nine, it remains one of the best productions of any show I've ever seen. However, I find it hard to divorce my memories of the production when listening to the CD, so I'm hardly objective.

RNT A Little Night Music - Judi Dench just has the edge over Glynis Johns, Joanna Riding at least varys her many 'oh's, and Patricia Hodge is hilarious and tragic in her role. Just perfect.

IMO City of Angels and The Bakers Wife are both better on their OLCRs as well

glenwj Profile Photo
glenwj
#26re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/20/05 at 6:46am

wow didnt know there was a London "City Of Angels" who was in it?
Agree London "Taboo" far superior than Broadway.
I am undecided about London/Broadway "Into The Woods", leaning towards London cos of Imelda Staunton.
Broadway "Sunset Blvd" better than London, mostly cos of Judy Kuhn....same goes for "Chess".
"Les Miz", best version is the Aust cast.
As is "Nine" and "Chicago".
I like the London revival version of "She Loves Me" over the Broadway.
Saw Ruthie Henshall in it live and she was stunning.

Drought Down Under.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#27re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/20/05 at 10:19am

Baker's Wife - US (London has weak singers and was recorded at such a low level, it is barely audible)
Night Music - London (far more character and charm)
Sunset Boulevard - London (Close's voice is just awful and her characterization is cartoonish and over-the-top)
Anything Goes - London (Elaine is on fire on the CD)
Chicago - Original Broadway (Edgiest recording of the show that best represents the style and tone)
Promises, Promises - Broadway (It has a bit more character)
City of Angels - Broadway (London singers are weak and the accents get in the way. Broadway has better orchestrations as well)
Taboo - Broadway (Better singers, better score, better orchestrations)
Les Miz - London (Best performances and I prefer the original score before the changes)
Chess - London Concept (Best performances and orchestrations)
Nine - London (While the Australian recording features the best Guido ever recorded, this recording features the best female singers and the full orchestra and chorus can't be beat)
Into the Woods - Original Broadway and London (Broadway has the best performances, but the London recording is such a different take on the material, it is difficult to compare the two fairly, they each have their pluses and minuses)
Evita - Broadway (most complete and best cast overall)
Passion - Broadway and London (I would rather have the score of the London recording, but performed by Donna Murphy and Michael Ball)
The King and I - Broadway Revival (Only because I saw it and it was so much better than I ever expected)
Guys and Dolls - Original Broadway (though the revival is a better quality recording, the original cast simply cannot be beat)
Cabaret - Original Broadway (Ideal recording would include numbers from the original Broadway, 1988 London cast, and the Broadway revival, but entirely recast as I really don't like the voices of Joel Grey, Alan Cumming or Natasha Richardson)

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

fiatlux
#28re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/20/05 at 10:34am

"Cabaret - Original Broadway (Ideal recording would include numbers from the original Broadway, 1988 London cast, and the Broadway revival, but entirely recast as I really don't like the voices of Joel Grey, Alan Cumming or Natasha Richardson)"

I was so disppointed when I heard the OBC of Cabaret it was so lacklustre compared to Judi Dench's OLC, which sounded just right.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#29re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/20/05 at 10:56am

The London and Broadway revival Chicago CDs both use the same Ralph Burns orchestrations. However, as per usual, Rob "The Human Metronome" Fisher instills absolutely no life into his orchestra. The Broadway revival orchestra plays the notes, but with an absence of style. It's like they are playing for a cotillion. The orchestra on the London recording (under Gareth Valentine), plays with the right vigor and raunchy edge, although the big flat clarinet in "All That Jazz" makes my teeth itch, and Ruthie Henshall is a little too nuts, with all of her mannerisms and baby voices.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#30re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/20/05 at 10:59am

And the London City of Angels uses the same Billy Byers orchestrations that were used for the Broadway recording, although Cy Coleman tinkered a bit with the orchestrations for the Broadway set, making it a bit more pop in spots. The London City of Angels is actually a better reflection of the theatrical score, if some of the vocals are a little inferior to their Broadway counterparts.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 10/20/05 at 10:59 AM

jazz
#31re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/20/05 at 2:50pm

yes, agreed the london chicago recording is much better than the broadway one!! depsite bebe neuwirth and ann reinking..it felt lacking in something!!
and yes i lovelove love mamma mia..certainly not the CD's..the cd is appaling IMHO!! however, the cast we have right now in london totally rock http://www.geocities.com/lucyharrisfan - hha a brilliant Donna!!

hmmm..what else??

Jazz

peach
#32re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/20/05 at 3:08pm

I love the London Les Miz...I actually prefer this one over the Broadway recording.

Videos