London/Broadway recordings

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#0London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:01pm

So I just got two new CDs of which I had the recording from across the pond (that's what they say in England, right?) for a LONG time but hadn't got their counterparts until now. I got the Broadway "A Little Night Music" which I think is FAR superior to the London one, but even more, I got the London cast of The Baker's Wife, and it sounds like a completely different show from the Broadway one (and WAY WAY WAY better!). So, my question, on the whole, do you prefer London or Brodway cast recordings when you have both to choose from?

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#1re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:09pm

Well...I mean there is the Mary Poppins and Woman in White London recording. But I have to say, West Side Story recording..MUCH prefre Broadway. But when you think about it, London and West End gave us The Phantom of the Opera, CATS, some great, great things. And personally I like the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Broadway cast much better than the London recording but that may be some bias on my side. re: London/Broadway recordings And I don't own many London recordings but I'm assuming Broadway has more recordings...right? But I can't say I prefer either one..there's so many different aspects and shows to take into consideration.

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#2re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:13pm

Mmm, let me check the album that I own both:

Les Miz-this is so hard. I choose both.
Man of La Mancha-London
The Secret Garden - Broadway
Fiddler on the roof - London
Chess- London
Kiss of the spiderwoman - Broadway
Passion - Broadway

half to half.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#3re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:15pm

See I don't have the Les Miserables London recording..is it good?

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#4re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:18pm

i much prefer the London Taboo to the broadway taboo

(i'm listening to it right now!)

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#5re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:23pm

It is different. The cast is great. The orchestra is kind different from later version.

If you love Les Miz, I should say get it.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#6re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:24pm

I hate the London Mamma Mia! recording with a fiercy passion and wish they'd made a Broadway one. Yes, the show is stupid, but ABBA music is ABBA music, and it's my guilty pleasure.

Shut up.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#7re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:24pm

I prefer the London City of Angels and the London Elaine Paige Anything Goes.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#8re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:25pm

I love Mama Mia the show and don't feel guilty at all. But I agree with you the recording didn't do the justice.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#9re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:27pm

The singing was SO weak in the OLCR and the dialogue was so cheesy and stupid! I find myself skipping Voulez-Vous for that sole purpose.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#10re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:29pm

aw, Voulez Vous is, lyke, my fav song! (apart from Under Attack)

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#11re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:29pm

I hate the Mamma Mia recording. It sounds nothing like what the show sounds like live. They should have recording the Broadway cast.

DWalk
#12re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 10:18pm

I also wish there was a Broadway Cast Recording of Mamma Mia. I've always loved ABBA's music and I enjoy the London recording. However, it may just be me, I often find it difficult to tell the difference between the voices of the mother and daughter. I loved Louise Pitre's voice and it was also very distinctive from Tina Maddigan's.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#13re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/18/05 at 10:53pm

From years ago (on vinyl!) I have the London PROMISES,PROMISES with Tony Roberts and Betty Buckley which is vastly superior to the Broadway cast of Jerry Orbach. I wish it would be released on CD.The London cast of BYE, BYE, BIRDIE is interesting but not very good. NO, NO, NANETTE (London) is awful and IRENE (London) very good.These are just a few that come to mind.

Sant
#14re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/19/05 at 10:07am

CATS - Original London Cast Recording

LES MIS - OLC

CHICAGO Revival - Original Broadway Cast

SUNSET BOULEVARD - OBCR (ok, technically it is the LA cast, but...)

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST - OBCR

THE KING AND I Revival - OBCR (though the best song in the show "Something Wonderful" is MUCH better in the London recording!!)

Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
#15re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/19/05 at 5:51pm

There are more OBC recordings around because the OLC recordings tend to be deleted more quickly (less people to buy them!). I don't think it is down to whether the cast is LONDON or BROADWAY but whether they are any good or not!! The London MAMA MIA was brilliant to watch but doesn't work on a recording (I don't think the Broadway cast would be any better) as you can't help thinking about ABBA when you are deprived of the visuals!
There a LOADS of brilliant LONDON cast but my favourites would be CITY OF ANGELS, LES MISERABLES, IRENE, (National) GUYS AND DOLLS, COMPANY (cheat?).

"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#16re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/19/05 at 5:54pm

I think the master tapes for the London Promises Promises are lost, which is why it has not been released. Still, here's hoping...

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

fiatlux
#17re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/19/05 at 6:01pm

I prefer the London Forum and both ALNM's - the acting is better.

Judi Dench's Cabaret - the OLC is vastly superior to the OBC. I quite like the Gypsy OLC but ....there are some very odd sounding children and orchestrations. The OLC of Camelot is excellent - unfortunately I'm not sure that it will be rereleased.

Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#18re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/19/05 at 6:09pm

What do you guys think of Into The Woods? I heard the London recording before I heard the broadway and I think they are both amazing ( I'm talking about the original not the revival. )

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#19re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/19/05 at 6:16pm

Apart from Julia McKenzie, the London Into the Woods is pretty poorly sung, and I don't think any of the performances sound as sharp as the Broadway cast. The sound quality, though, is better on the London recording.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

fiatlux
#20re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/19/05 at 6:21pm

I much preferred the London Into the Woods it's not as sugary as the OBC - I like the darker tones and sharper tempi. Imelda Staunton and Julia McKenzie are quite wonderful, the acting was better as well - but I liked the overall feel and look of the London production more than the Broadway (although it was very good).

Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#21re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/19/05 at 6:21pm

Julia McKenzie is awesome, but i also think Imelda Staunton is awesome. I prefer her performance to Joanna Gleason's... she puts so much emotion into it. But I think if I had to pick, I would pick the OBC.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#22re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/20/05 at 1:49am

Smaxie, very disapointed to hear that the master tapes of the London Promises,Promises have been lost, might have to have my vinyl converted! I have the London Camelot on vinyl, and I believe it was (briefly) released on CD a year or so ago. The London Annie of 1978 isn't too bad, but the Broadway is probably preferable. Was there ever a London Beauty and the Beast? I have the Aussie one which is excellent but wondered if there was a London recording.

Nath
#23re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/20/05 at 1:51am

the london revival chicago is sp much better than the broadway... more complete... better sung...

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#24re: London/Broadway recordings
Posted: 10/20/05 at 2:00am

It just depends. Case in point: the CHICAGO revival CDs. The London cast is vastly superior to the recorded Broadway revival CD. Yes, the leads on the Broadway revival CD are a bit more iconic and nothing replaces the original Broadway cast, but the London revival CD has so much more energy, additional dialogue and some snazier jazz orchestrations as well as having recorded "Roxie's Soliloquy" prior to the song "Roxie" and also includes the brilliant act one finale and all the dialogue that takes place during the numbers. Not to mention Ruthie Henshall as Roxie. One spin of the London revival and my Broadway revival CD was shelved for life.
Updated On: 10/20/05 at 02:00 AM

Videos