pixeltracker

SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS- Page 2

SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS

MeleeQ
#25re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 7:58pm

Thank you to everyone who's psted advice in this thread. As a young actor just starting out, I love advice, particularly when it comes from sources with experience.

I recently learned first-hand the lesson of choosing material based on what you can commit to rather than what the audition is for. I had a very short notice audition, and chose a song I hadn't worked with in a while instead of a song that I had been working extensively, because I wanted to fit the show. It was by far one of the worst auditions I've ever done.

If you make and impression, people DO remember you. I have friends who've been called back months later for roles they never auditioned for, because someone saw them and remembered them.

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#26re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/28/05 at 5:38pm

Never agree to do a show get cast then back out in an email. It is truly unprofessional

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#27re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/28/05 at 7:31pm

Thanks a lot for all this good advice. I'm still in high school but I'm auditioning for colleges pretty soon, and this is good stuff to know while auditioning. I've been lucky in that I go to a school with a brilliant director, who has taught us the right etiquette (sp?) for auditions, but it's really nice to hear the same stuff being reinforced. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#28re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 11/2/05 at 12:13pm

If a director/casting director takes time to email you and let you know you arent being considered and why they are trying to help. sending emails that are abusive is not appropriate.

touchmeinthemorning
#29re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 11/2/05 at 12:31pm

Yes, I think a lot of actors get stuck thinking they're job is be technically good.

That's a lie.

The first job of an actor is to be human. Their second job is to be artistic. And their last job is to be a technician. So many actors reverse that and sing big belty songs thinking they'll be cast for the thickness of their chords or their perfect placement. I don't think I've ever met a director who cast an actor based on their technique.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Videos