SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#0SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 10:42am

As a director it is important to share some thoughts with those of you auditioning.
First: Once you have accepted the role in a show dont send an email to leave it. That is incredibly unprofessional and shows lack of character.
Two: If you do accept the role be advised that the director has probably selected you based not only on your skill but your availablitiy. If your schedule changes between the time they offer the role and you accept, advise them before you accept that you availability has changed. This is polite and professional.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 10:51am

Are these directed at anyone specific? They sound like they are to me.

Certainly not at any union members... where this wouldn't even be an option.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#2re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 11:05am

No these are just general notes for those of you out there auditioning.
I have been running into a "block" of actors that seem to believe that it is their option to come and go at will and that their behavior/backing out in no way affects the cast, the show, the rehearsal process or anything else. very egocentric and very destructive.

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#3re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 11:14am

and a suggestion to about resumes and headshots submitted via email save IT WITH YOUR NAME not some random file name. it makes it easier to save and retrieve

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 11:16am

Avigdor --- I feel your pain. I would only add that these actors are learning VERY bad habits early on.

If any of them are seriously thinking of professional careers, they'd better think twice about this and act professionally NOW. You can laugh all you want about "karma" but it's true in this business "what goes around, comes around."

If you screw people over, it will come back to bite you later on. You may not even be aware of it directly, but I've known of actors giving killer auditions and not getting the part... because they were branded as unreliable. They would never hear that conversation though, and they'll walk around wondering why they didn't get cast. It comes back to them, believe me.

And be careful who you brush off now, or treat unfairly. These are the same people that you will meet again and again in the future in this business. The guy next to you in the chorus who you're dissing may turn out to be a future Rob Marshall.

The theatre community and even Hollywood are actually pretty small. I'm always amazed at how connected everyone is. That "six degrees of separation" game is really being generous. In most cases, it's only like one or two degrees from everyone else.

Word gets around, and people do remember.

Start behaving like you want to be treated by others NOW.

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#5re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 11:20am

Best ...you are absolutely right. Although as a director i am not vendictive (sp) which is why i am trying to provide sound and serious advice. All actors need to understand that yes they are important components to the the theatre but not the only component and that the director works to coordinate these and everytime some one flakes it makes it that more difficult for everyone. But after a while yes even i get tired of people who brush off a show.....not wise...and not a good move if someone other than the director is watching.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#6re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 11:33am

Even if no one is "watching" right now... (which only time will tell if that's true)... They are learning bad habits as actors and performers. It's better to practice "good form" now, just as much as scales, time steps and monologues. These habits and practices are harder to undo later in life.

Updated On: 10/27/05 at 11:33 AM

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#7re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 11:38am

Ugh...ACTORS.

:0)

I never hate actors more than when I'm stage managing or directing...but I know that the minute my actor hat comes on I become officially RETARDED. It's impressive, really.

But yes, many people learn really unprofessional habits early on. But a lot of the time those people are people without manners in general, and we call those people RUDE.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#8re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 1:17pm

Best..you and i agree. i hope the actors on this board really take this to heart.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#9re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 1:24pm

Well, since we're on the subject, what the hel* are directors REALLY looking for in an actor? For example, at a musical audition, how important is acting to the song if you're a strong singer and how important is singing if you're a strong actor? I think alot of actors' frustration comes from not knowing what to do--is this song overdone? Does the director hate Jerry Herman? I'm not the type to accept and then back out, though a similar thing happened to me once: I got offered a show for peanuts here in NYC but had also auditioned for a show also in NYC that I really wanted to do--I told the 1st director about the other possibility, and she seemed to understand and cast someone else. And of course, I didn't get the other show. Lesson learned. But seriously, I'd like to know what you all think.

Di2
#10re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 3:09pm

I would like to know what you think as well, Avigdor...

Let's turn it back to the directors seeing you have now stated how you feel actors should behave.

My questions:

Why is it that directors in smaller theatres cast the same people over and over and over again in lead roles. I work at a well known theatre (which I need to conceal so I don't get in trouble) and the director casts the exact same 2 people in every single show regardless of the fact that they are inappropriate (at times) for the roles they were cast in.

Why do certain directors only cast thier friends?

Personally, I believe the best actor gets the role, period. My director has missed out on some incredible talent here in DC because she continually casts her 2 favorites. I feel this makes my theatre company look silly and unprofessional. There is so much overlooked talent here in DC, it really is a shame. Our audition turn outs have been low,lately, because everyone figures, "Why bother auditioning? The same 2 will get the leads anyway, just like always."

Small theatres = B-I-G politics, I guess.

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#11re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 3:16pm

i can tell you from my creative process what i look for. but i have found from experience most other directors dont work this way.
first and foremost i look for committment to what you are doing..song or monolouge. and yes acting in a song go hand in hand, personally if your notes are perfect and i dont believe you understand the words..it makes no diff tome. remember songs are only monolouges set to music. there is a beginning a middle and end.
i look for willingness to work..to try. many actors that i have auditioned recently seem to act as though i dont understand my craft..and i do. but i also understand and make it clear to any actor that my process is a team process. TREAT the director WITH RESPECT.

Audition Choices...if you chose a song or monolouge you are committed to and some director says they didnt cast you because of your choice then consider yourself lucky. he doesnt know his craft. Auditions are not about the monolouge i like but what shows you off best..and if that is Jerry Herman..than so be it.
I personally do not look for the perfect actor, but the actor who will grow and be the best in the character i cast them in.

and good for you for being honest. better to be honest than to lie and then quit.then you just get a rep. remember many times final casting will be impacted by availability. and thats just not your fault.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#12re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 3:20pm

Cool, thanks...I don't mind the politics, comes with the territory and if I thought someone was NEVER going to cast me regardless of my audition, I just wouldn't audition for them anymore--I do have one theater on my list...

What did the actors do that you surmised they didn't think you knew your craft? Are we talking pros or students or what?

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#13re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 3:29pm

glad to hear you arent letting these places get you down.
and the answer. one actor looked at me in an audition call back (mind you i have been doing this for 22 years) and said. are you sure that you know what this character is all about. that is a quote

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#14re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 3:43pm

Just a note from my recent experience monitoring auditions. We saw a tremendous number of young actresses (which just graduated from college)....although these could apply to any actor:

1.) Don't wear perfume/cologne to the auditions. It can really assault the director's senses after a while.

2.) Your audition starts when you arrive at the location. Believe you me, the director will ask the person handling the the paperwork outside the room which actors seemed difficult/problematic in their behavior.

3.) Find decent material! We saw so many poorly written and interchangeable "Why don't you return my love?" auditions. Can't find the right material?....read! Use, different sources...novels, magazine articles, etc. My best comic monologue is from a dog training book.

4.) Don't be afraid of using well known/well written monologues. We saw so many duplicate pieces from "The Most Massive Women Wins" but not one single monologue from any Tennessee Williams play.

5.) If the script for the production is available, read it!

6.) We want to love you. We want you to solve our casting problems. We don't want you to try to hide what is uniquely you. Vanilla is boring.

7.) And, yes, your past behavior in other productions will follow you.

Updated On: 10/27/05 at 03:43 PM

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#15re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 3:45pm

I've always wondered what would happen if I just asked to cold read instead of performing a monologue--how do you think that would go over?

ally_kay_on_broadway Profile Photo
ally_kay_on_broadway
#16re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 3:51pm

i found this incredibly helpful- no one can ever tell you EXACTLY how an audition will go, but they CAN tell you what to do and what NOT to do so you don't blow it re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS

"talent is wanting something hard enough to work for it" - my drama teacher :)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#17re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 4:00pm

lildogs---You did the right thing, even if you think you screwed yourself up. You left a good and honest impression, and that counts for a lot. It will be remembered. I've seen casting directors years apart from audition to audition, and they still remember you. That's their job.

Directors (and casting directors, producers, etc.) would have to be crazy to think that you are only auditioning for their show. This shouldn't have to be spelled out for any of them. There are other theatres and other jobs, and lots of actors are out their looking for them. If they want you, they will pursue you. Do your best, respect the director and the production at the auditions... But you aren't expected to put your life and career on hold waiting for the phone to ring. Make your choices and keep moving forward. Hope that helps.

And WindyCityActor---Very nicely put! Good advice for all.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#18re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 4:02pm

yeah, Windy--I'm always a little nervous to do non-theatre material (you know what I mean) for auditions. But I guess that's kinda old-fashioned, huh?

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#19re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 4:08pm

It's been my experience that those individuals responsible for casting the production really don't care what you use...so long as you commit to the material, and that it shows you off to your best advantage.

Of course, if you are auditioning for a classical play....or if the theatre has specific requirments, you will need to honor that.

One of my best auditions was doing one of "Maggie the Cat's" speeches from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," and I'm a 40ish, 6'3" guy!

colleen_lee
#20re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 6:03pm

One thing that actors sometimes forget is what a small community theater really is. Word of unprofessional behaivor gets around really quickly. Be careful what you say and who you say it to, and always treat those your working with, both cast and production team, with the utmost respect as chances are you'll end up working with their brothers, spouses, close friends, etc. in the future.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#21re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 6:14pm

If directors (especially in Community & High School Theatre) casted the best person for the role - the world would be a better place!

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#22re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 6:26pm

First (and probably last) time that I agree wtih Ljay.

Directors who base their casting decisions based off something other than talent, experience, and ability to serve the role justice (whatever that may encompass) do not deserve to have as much authority as they do.
Updated On: 10/27/05 at 06:26 PM

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#23re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 6:48pm

I have to disagree. Perfume...wear it..dont bathe in it.
two: Your audtion begins the minute you submit your headshot and resume
three: i dont want to love you. i want you to love your work and respect the process. i can dislike you and still appreciate that you work your ass off and really pull through.
and my casting issues are not on the shoulders of the actor.they are on my shoulders..if the actor is close to the role..then it is my job to teach/direct and assist them in getting the best performance out them that can be gotten.

ashley0139
#24re: SERIOUS ADVICE TO ACTORS
Posted: 10/27/05 at 7:02pm

Some interesting stuff on here for people to know. Most of which I have encountered in the theatre circuit, but nonetheless good to refresh my memory with.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Videos