pixeltracker

An Objective Review of "RENT"- Page 2

An Objective Review of "RENT"

freeadmission Profile Photo
freeadmission
#25re: An Objective Review of 'RENT'
Posted: 11/29/05 at 4:43pm

Oops. Sorry. I try to make sure I say "seems" in my posts, but I slipped.

"I think if you see this show and you get it, you see that it's not a "woe is me, the great artist" complex."

But what is "getting it". Isn't one of the best things about theatre (and art in general) the differing interpretations (within reason) that people have of each show? I mean, I come from a family and a culture that encourages hard work. I've always been a hard-worker and when I see lazy people who have the potential to do amazing things, it really aggrivates me. And that's what the characters in RENT seem to be. Yeah, they may be great artists for all I know, but they're not making art right now (Roger's struggles to write, Mark's to make a film, etc.). It's almost as if they see art as the most important thing with friends at a close second and that nothing else matters. That those who seek work outside of their art are traitors. But the fact remains that art doesn't pay well (as we know, lol) and you have to support yourself somehow.

Argh. I don't know. I may have to see this in theaters after all in order to better argue my point. We'll see.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#26re: An Objective Review of 'RENT'
Posted: 11/29/05 at 4:52pm

"Getting it" is simply understanding that Larson's message comes out of this apparent lack of appreciation that some of the characters have that so many people seem to have a problem with. If you didn't start with a character as lost and shut down as Roger, what kind of power would be behind the message that life itself is precious...and that even a man who has gone through rehab, the suicide of a girlfriend, the death of a close friend, and the news that he has AIDS can learn to see that and appreciate the fact that "I'm here, I'm alive, so let me enjoy LIVING and what I do have because it's a blessing."?

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#27re: An Objective Review of 'RENT'
Posted: 11/29/05 at 5:02pm

But why is Benny choosing now to collect the rent? I could be wrong, but isn't it a ploy to get them to convince Maureen to cancel the protest? Sure...he's being a dick...but isn't he trying, in the end, to help his friends out. I mean...yeah...Alison killed herself (at least she does in the play...in the movie, it's nebulous) and he's gone through rehab. Ya know what helps get someone's life back together? A job...and that's what Benny has to offer. A job doing something they all love. It's something I kind of overlooked 10 years ago, but now can't.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#28re: An Objective Review of 'RENT'
Posted: 11/29/05 at 5:08pm

Benny is choosing to collect the rent now because he doesn't want to lose his investors--which include his father-in-law. I mean, I personally think it's pretty low to marry for money--FOR this opportunity that Benny is offering.

And, yes, Benny is asking to stop Maureen's protest. So, do you try to cancel your friend from performing her work that she seems to believe in so much (not to mention that despite the fact that it causes a riot, it was unforeseen--her message was not violent or negative) so your golddigger "friend" can stay chummy with his investors? And he made a promise to Mark and Roger once and broke it, how in the world would they know that, in the end, Benny's REALLY going to bother with helping them?

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#29re: An Objective Review of 'RENT'
Posted: 11/29/05 at 5:12pm

I agree, robbie, there are definitely flaws in the writing. I wonder how much Larson would have changed, had he been able to. Or if they aren't flaws, I see what you mean about the characters' shooting themselves in the foot.

But, flaws and all, I really like Rent--and I had forgotten that because I hadn't listened to the CD in a long time and hadn't seen the show since I was 23 myself. And like Wicked, all the hype and obsessed fans started to get on my nerves.

kas Profile Photo
kas
#30re: An Objective Review of 'RENT'
Posted: 11/29/05 at 5:12pm

Jason I really liked your review. I will always love RENT and it is probably my favorite musical, but it is hard for me to really care about Maureen as well. I thought that she (as a character, not Idina - chill) was two-dimensional, and almost trashy. She made me angry, and I didn't understand what Joanne saw in her. But the actors and the music are so great in the movie and play, that I love it.

I enjoyed your review and agreed with much of it.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#31re: An Objective Review of 'RENT'
Posted: 11/29/05 at 5:20pm

The arguments about Roger not having a job are ridiculous. If he had a decent job (or Marc, for that matter) there'd be no play. The whole point is summed up in La Vie Boheme. You might not agree with it, but that's the "life that they've chosen." Benny allowed them to live that life until he recinded -- as privileged people ourselves who presumably work for a living, we may not be able to relate directly to Marc and Roger's situation, but I'll bet you that if you were an artist and were given the opportunity to live the life you wanted free of charge, you'd be pretty damn outraged when your supposed "friend" came and took it out from under you as well.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

katygrace84 Profile Photo
katygrace84
#32re: An Objective Review of 'RENT'
Posted: 11/29/05 at 5:21pm

As much as I love Rent, you have a point, robbiej. If someone came to me and said, "Hey, Kate. I'm gonna build this studio where you can write and get paid," they'd be my new hero. Especially being in my mid 20's and being a writer, that would be amazing. Are you kidding me? A real job where I don't have to completely sell out? That's completely fabulous!

But on the other hand, I kinda see where Roger and Mark are coming from. Benny's attitude sucks. And he has grown very cold towards the whole group. It's almost like he "grew up" and keeps looking down his nose at them. Yes, they are a bit childish and at times irresponsible. But I see it as trying to preserve some sense of innocence and youth in a time where their circumstances are trying to make them grow up very quickly. Between the AIDS, drugs and death in their lives, they need something to lighten things up a bit, to keep them sane.

I'm also wondering what the economy was like back then. (I'm too young to remember, sadly.) Would it really have been that easy for them to get jobs in that era? Especially Roger, just coming out of rehab?

Videos