Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!

BSoBW2
#25re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 6:38pm

I enjoy this movie.

A lot.

#26re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 8:16pm

I kind of like the movie. Ann-Margaret is incredibly charismatic and Maureen Stapleton is a scream as Mae Peterson. I do prefer the stage version but with the exception of a terrific Marc Kudisch as Conrad the more faithful 1995 version is a snore.

jimnysf
#27re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 8:18pm

The TV version is on DVD and it's on the amazon.com website for $7.99. It's also on cduniverse.com for $7.15.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#28re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 10:37pm

The original is just classic fun. And is kind of "camp" at this point.

I grew up watching it religiously.

I hold it very close to me, even though it's so freakin different from the real show.

Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72 Profile Photo
Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72
#29re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 11:43pm

jimnysf: Cool! Thanks for letting me know!
Kringas: Because I am too young to own a credit card re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!

Join me on journey that is the development of my first musical! Twitter/Insta @gimpymusical FB: Gimpy The Musical email @gimpymusical@gmail.com for more info!

Kringas
#30re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 11:45pm

Oh, well you could probably just have a store order it and pay cash when it arrives.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

overthemoon419 Profile Photo
overthemoon419
#31re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/20/06 at 1:53am

The original movie was "eh" to me. I loved Maureen Stapleton, "The Telephone Hour," and Dick van Dyke, but I hated Ann-Margaret, and I felt Janet Leigh was a waste and made Rosie much less of a character than the stage version does.

The TV movie was atrocious, save Marc Kudisch as Conrad and Tyne Daly's Mae Peterson. Although I don't think she's a great singer, and "A Mother Doesn't Matter Anymore" was unnecessary, Tyne Daly personified Mae, and gave her a similar yet different spin than Maureen Stapleton.

"It's not for sissies, contrary to popular belief." - Tommy Tune, on musical theatre.

My avatar: Yummy, no?

caitiesus1522 Profile Photo
caitiesus1522
#32re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/20/06 at 7:58pm

I remember watching the original movie in 7th grade in choir while we had a sub. I was the only one who even knew there was a stage show. To make things worse, other people spent weeks reenacting scenes or randomly singing songs from it so the memory could not die. I will always despise it.

#33re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/21/06 at 2:49pm

I saw this movie when I was a kid, and I loved it. They wanted to get kids and teens into the theatres and to drag their parents with them, and they succeeded. In addition to Ann-Margret being a draw, Bobby Rydell played her boyfriend, and he had many top ten records in his day and was very popular with teen girls. I'm sorry to read that Paul Lynde held a grudge. He was also a very popular stand-up comic and TV guest at the time, and he was great in the movie. Dick Van Dyke and Janet Leigh were really boring in this film.

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#34re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/24/06 at 8:33pm

i think both versions have really weak spots but i enjoy stuff in both too. are poor. Ann Margaret Is amazing in the one from 63. I love her in it.

Kevinoes, have you seen Carnal Knowledge. If you dont like her that much, you might enjoy her in this. It has one of the greatest fight scenes in movie history between her and Jack Nicoholson.

Videos