Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#0Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:03pm

just watched this on TCM, why oh why did they make such drastic changes from the stage to the screen? it's a cute little musical on stage, but the movie is goofy and unfocused and crappy.

if i didnt know the original, i would not be interested in learning more after seeing the film. bleech!

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:07pm

I'm not a fan of the movie version either... except for the talent and budding sexuality of Ann-Margaret.

Zowie!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

#2re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:12pm

Wait till Marquise reads this. heehee

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#3re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:13pm

yeah yeah yeah Ann-Margaret and her skirt tossing, hair flipping opening and closing numbers make it bearable for me as well.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#4re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:25pm

"Wait till Marquise reads this. heehee"

Marquise hasn't been around here for about a month.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#5re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:27pm

I have to agree - terrible movie - but Ann Margret makes it worth having been made.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#6re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:32pm

i thought we were talking about the even worse one with Vanessa Williams

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#7re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:41pm

they cut all of roses songs out pretty muchre: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK! love Ann Margret tho the 1995 tv version with vanessa williams is closer to the stage version.

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#8re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:54pm

At least the one with Vanessa Williams one stays true to the actual show! I can't watch either without getting a really bad headache!

Kringas
#9re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 1:27pm

The liberties taken and the turtles on meth notwithstanding, I really love the 1963 Bye Bye Birdie.

It's a shame that it's not more faithful, because I think the musical numbers are directed so lovingly and deftly. Kim's "How Lovely to Be a Woman" and Conrad's "Honestly Sincere" are two of note, particularly the latter, which is a frenetic orgy of movement and color.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

mentaltenant Profile Photo
mentaltenant
#10re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:10pm

it was basically made to be a vehicle to make Ann-Margret a star. And it worked. She's great in the movie (really in everything she does). But it didn't make Dick Van Dyke very happy and I know Paul Lynde held a grudge about it probably until he died but who cares about him haha.

Kringas
#11re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:19pm

Why shouldn't we care about Paul Lynde?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:22pm

Not bad except for the musical numbers that were cut /

Poster Emeritus

Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72 Profile Photo
Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72
#13re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:31pm

Yes I despised this movie. I got it for Christmas a couple years back and I was so excited---until I watched it. It was so unfaithful to my favorite movie that I cried. The only reason I kept it in was because of Paul Lynde. The 1995 movie with Jason Alexander and Vanessa Williams was so much better and I loved it to pieces. I have tried to find it, but all the copies made were on VHS and because most stores dont carry VHS anymore, I think I am SOL, unless I can somehow order it from somewhere other than the internet

Join me on journey that is the development of my first musical! Twitter/Insta @gimpymusical FB: Gimpy The Musical email @gimpymusical@gmail.com for more info!

Kringas
#14re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:35pm

Why can't you order it from the internet?

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#15re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:35pm

Apart from the opening and closing title song, the movie only seems to work when a stray line of dialogue or a staging idea from the stage script appears.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#16re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:37pm

I despise this movie - I think it's one of the worst movie musicals ever made - worse than A CHORUS LINE, even.

Although it's still incredibly mediocre, I prefer the Vanessa Williams/Jason Alexander version anyday.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#17re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:42pm

A Chorus Line is an abomination, but at least you get some nice shots of the Mark Hellinger as compensation. Birdie is bad, but I'm not sure it hits the lows of A Chorus Line.

Still, for all time worst, Mame and Man of La Mancha might have them both beat.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#18re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:55pm

I like the film (Bye Bye Birdie). It's not the best, but also it's far from the worst musical made. I'd put Rent in that category before Birdie. I especially enjoyed Paul Lynde. I had the film on while doing other work in the apt. today and it was fine for background!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Shoshana's Future Ex Profile Photo
Shoshana's Future Ex
#19re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 4:04pm

cool

Pinaud Profile Photo
Pinaud
#20re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 4:11pm

I am also not a huge fan of the movie, although I do enjoy Ann-Margaret, Dick Van Dyck, Paul Lynde and Maureen Stapleton. The one thing that makes me enjoy it more than the TV version is the fact that it had some life to it! It was actually kind of fun in a cheesy sort of way. I thought the new movie was so boring, and I despise the new songs, with the exception of the new arrangement of the title number.

stylinbohemian
#21re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 5:23pm

Most musicals that go from stage to screen suck...but I can remember watching Bye Bye Birdie movie ever since I was little and I <3 it! I like the changes they've made from stage to screen, like they did the 1995 version of Bye Bye Birdie with Jason Alexander now that was more true to the stage but I just hated it...i really didn't like that casting though either

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#22re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 5:30pm

I like "A Mother Doesn't Matter Anymore"

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

YankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
#23re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 6:12pm

Okay, this sounds odd, but the fact that it is so obviously bad is what makes it campy and silly and fun to watch. It's not the stage version, true, but if it were, lots of folks would complain about that too!

"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys

Kevinoes Profile Photo
Kevinoes
#24re: Bye Bye Birdie the movie - ICK!
Posted: 3/19/06 at 6:30pm

I think both versions are poor. The '63 version is just the Ann Margaret movie. Sorry to disappoint some, but I really don't care for her - except as Blanche. Then she's fabulous! The '95 version dragged too much and was not photographed well at all. "Telephone Hour" was embarassing to watch and the new songs were unecesarry and just dug the movie deeper into the ground. The only parts I cared a rat's ass about were the performances by Ursuala, Mae, and Marc Kudisch as Conrad. Oh, I also love how they changed the lyric for Kim in "How Lovely to Be a Woman" from 15 to 17. Nontheless, she does not even look like she's in her teens. Try 35-ish.

Videos