pixeltracker

Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)- Page 2

Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#25re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:57pm

See the year that AIDA was not nominated for Best Musical in favor of 4 artistic shows.

Edit: Wizard beat me to it.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 4/14/07 at 12:57 PM

broadwayguy2
#26re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:01pm

Aida was a crap show with a good lighting design and women who could belt....

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#27re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:03pm

And it was also a financial success with Disney's name attached that had touring potential.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#28re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:08pm

"Blonde, though, will play well on the road and every road presenter wants to say that they have the newest Tony Winner. The Tonys are political, not artistic along many lines. Those politics can work against the show or very much in its favor."

Why are you acting like this is news to any of us?

"Foster, the Tony Nominators couldn't care less? You'd be suprised......"

And exactly where do you come by the knowledge of what the nominating committee cares about?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

broadwayguy2
#29re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:16pm

Rath, I was merely staing the obvious in backing up my point.

I thought that the nomination and voting standards and practices were widely know.

LBfan292 Profile Photo
LBfan292
#30re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:33pm

Glad you liked the show :}

Wanna Be A Foster
#31re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:35pm

Welcome to BroadwayWorld, LBfan292.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

LBfan292 Profile Photo
LBfan292
#32re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:40pm

LOL, you could tell that i was new :}

MungoGypsy8232
#33re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:44pm

How challenging does a role have to be to constitute a standby? Laura seems to be in almost every musical number according to IBDB and if she got sick during a performance and was unable to continue, that'd be bad. There's been a lot of standbys this season, including:

Pamela Fabello (A Chorus Line - Judy, Sheila, Kristine, Val) John Herrera (Times A-Changin' - Captain Ahrab)
Jason Wooten (Times A-Changin' - Coyote)
Katie Klaus (Times A-Changin' - Cleo)
Maureen Moore (Grey Gardens - dual Edies)
Dale Soules (Grey Gardens - Edie Bouvier Beale)
Megan Lewis (Grey Gardens - Young "Little" Edie Beale)
Donald Grody (Grey Gardens - "Major" Bouvier, Norman V. Peale)
Asa Somers (Grey Gardens - George G. Strong, Jerry, Joe Kennedy)
Michael W. Howell (Grey Gardens - Brooks Jr/Sr)
Abigail Ferenvzy (Grey Gardens - Jackie Bouvier, Lee Bouvier)
Renee Bang Allen (Company - Joanne, Sarah)
Brandon J. Ellis (Company - David, Paul)
David Garry (Company - Harry, Larry, Paul)
Jason Ostrowski (Company - Peter)
Fred Rose (Company - Robert)
Jessica Wright (Company - Amy, Jenny, Susan)
Katrina Yaukey (Company - April, Kathy, Marta)
Bradley Dean (Company - Robert)
Jane Pfitsch (Company - Amy, Jenny, Susan)
Kathy Voytko (The Pirate Queen - Grania O'Malley)

Why not add another to the list?

broadwayguy2
#34re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:47pm

a stand-by can be used for any number of reasons. The most common are the role being drastically demanding or that you can't have an appropriate "type" elsewhere in the show (ie, Tracy in 'spray)

broadwaybaby086
#35re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:52pm

Just a small defense of Ms. Bundy: She did end up taking some pictures with fans when I saw the show, before I hurried away from the screaming girls at the barricades. I would not say that she is being a diva; I would venture to say that her management/people...whoever they are...is/are trying to cut down the length of the stage dooring process, considering the cast is there all day, and Ms. Bundy is the last out (getting notes, etc). Just a possibility.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

Wanna Be A Foster
#36re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:54pm

Oddly enough, Donna Murphy does not have a standby in LOVEMUSIK. Just a couple understudies.

-Kad

Updated On: 4/14/07 at 01:54 PM

jg4892
#37re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:58pm

For grey gardens, there is no ensemble, so they basically have to be standbys.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#38re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 2:00pm

Have to respectfully disagree regarding "Aida" being a crap show.

In my opinion, a good show that could have been better, but certainly not crap.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#39re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 2:28pm

A couple of points to add. First off I respectfully disagree BG2 with regards to Aida being a 'crap' show. It was better IMO in every way than LB and I don't think LB will have as long a run. I don't think it comes close in score/book/choreo/ and most importantly, it had Headley who is what Bundy will never be, a true force to be reckoned with. Also THANK YOU Wannabe for saying something I've wanted to point out for a long time, Bundy was only ever Chenoweth's stand-by, not her replacement.

broadwayguy2
#40re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 2:34pm

Let me rephrase. With Aida, I just kept waiting for Headley or Scott's next moment and the next chance for Katz's lights to show off. Everything else seemed to grind to a hault. With Blonde, I was entertained the entire time except for BLOOD.

As far as 'depth' of material.. it is apples and oranges. Blonde, we all know, comes from the lighthearted comedy wheras Aida came from a long loved Opera. I thought, as a whole, Blonde is more successful in it's use of the form and tone appropriate to the material.

As I said previously, Headley had star power. Bundy doesn't... the rest of the cast did though.

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#41re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 2:35pm

I'm surprised the Max role in Producers doesn't use a standby.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#42re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 3:29pm

Amber Efe is actually a Paulette Understudy and I would LOVE to see her take on that role.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

TheBlonde
#43re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/15/07 at 2:46am

I was at the show last night (Saturday) and LBB came out and took pictures with everyone who asked, as far as I could see... so I'm not sure what the diva commotion is about. I certainly didn't see it.

neddyfrank2
#44re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/15/07 at 3:22am

Is the cast still rehearsing during the day?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#45re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/15/07 at 8:50am

Im supprisd people are still saying they think LoveMusik will beat LB to a nomination at the Tonys especially since everyone i have heard from who has seen LoveMusik says its far to Long and a lot of it is pretty dull?

I know its early in previews but its yet to be seen how much they change

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#46re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/15/07 at 9:16am

Laura Bell Bundy was EXTREMELY nice at the stage door. even when the bodyguard was like "you can't take a pic of her!" and yelling at us, while she was signing the Playbill she looked at me and said "just take the picture, don't worry about him" :)

she's super sweet!

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#47re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/15/07 at 10:19am

"Is it REALLY polite for a nose breathing usher with Chutney hair to seat a patron in a wheelchair as though they are air traffic control guiding a plane into a JFK terminal?"

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Mistress?

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

ruprecht Profile Photo
ruprecht
#48re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/15/07 at 10:37am

LoveMusick is a complete lock for everything like I already wrote. There's no way it won't get a ton of nominations. As far as stage door at LB, the few times I've been there, Laura B has taken so long to come out that there are a third of the people left waiting so I don't see why she'd be giving any one a hard time. The people the crowd practically jumps on (in the order they've been consistently coming out) are Richard Blake, Orfeh and Andy Karl. It's crazy and they couldn't be nicer about it and pose for every picture. Those 3 have always given 'good stage door'. Nikki Snelson was really fun each time too. Michael Rupert and Christian are out and gone pretty much before anyone else even gets out. There is my unofficial stage door review.

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#49re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/15/07 at 12:20pm

Does Kate Shindle come out?

Videos