pixeltracker

Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?- Page 2

Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#25re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 5:31pm

"I disagree as well.

Broadway shows are most certainly not wasted on kids under 10, and those of us who love theater and want it to have a future should hope that more young children get a chance to develop a taste for this wonderful art form."

I have to agree with this poster. I didn't really "discover" Broadway until about when I was 15. I mean, I knew Cats and Beauty and the Beast existed, and I knew Broadway had existed, but I didn't really start looking into other shows until I was 15. I wish my parents had taken to me to Broadway shows since BEFORE I was 10 years old. Exposing your children to musical theatre, even if you do say they'll like anything, is very healthy, and they may discover a love for singing, dancing, acting, or even playing an instrument.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Danielm
#26re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 6:05pm

I think it's great to expose kids to theatre--I just hate being in a theatre when parents realize the show isn't appropriate for their child and either complain or get up with their brood and leave--or with a bored child who keeps whining that the show is boring--or with a child who keeps asking "what does that mean? Why are they doing that?" etc...

I would not descript Curtains as a "Family Show". While it is appropriate for some families and older or more mature kids it is certainly not Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King--those are "Family Shows."

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#27re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 6:24pm

Legally Blonde has a few racy moments but it’s not that bad. I’d take a 12 year-old.

I think the key here is communication between parents and children after the show. If you take your adolescent child to see a show with some mature content, have a talk with him or her about it afterwards, and listen to her thoughts on it, and give your thoughts on it. Yep, kids see worse on TV and school everyday, but I believe if they hear a adult perspective on things, that goes a long way towards helping them make better choices for themselves.

whatever2
#28re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 6:51pm

the appropriate age for Pirate Queen is 65 and older.

(yawn)

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)
Updated On: 4/20/07 at 06:51 PM

ram87
#29re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 7:43pm

does david hyde pierce do sunday matinees?

bardolator
#30re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
Posted: 4/21/07 at 12:10am

PQ has some loud cannon shot that might be startling. Otherwise, it's probably okay for the kids, content-wise (unless they're old enough to understand the suggestive nature of "Boys'll Be Boys" but too young to handle it).

istillbelieve24601 Profile Photo
istillbelieve24601
#31re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
Posted: 4/21/07 at 10:43am

The thing about many of the shows you suggested is that will kids want to see Curtains, LoveMusik, or The Pirate Queen? Most kids would be more inclined to see Wicked, Mamma Mia, Beauty and the Beast, ect. All kids are not alike but if a kid really would want to see one of those shows, I think they would make an effort to learn as much as they can about them and be able to tell you whether it would be appropriate or not.

For example, I saw Avenue Q when I was thirteen. Both my father and I really enjoyed it. However, my dad was far more shocked at the show's material than I was, because I was very familar with the cast album while he had no idea what to expect.

I just can't understand why anyone would take a child under ten to see Les Mis. It's not quite G-rated... I can imagine a child wondering about "Lovely Ladies"... Besides, I know people who have seen Les Mis when they were little and were totally turned off to it as teens because they didn't understand it when they saw it and thought it was boring.

When taking a kid to see a show, it's more important to find a show the kid will enjoy than one that's appropriate.

Cosette: Roses are red. Marius: Violets are blue. Eponine: You're so in love! Marius: And so not with you.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#32re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
Posted: 4/21/07 at 8:14pm

The Pirate Queen isn't appropriate for anyone, young or old. It's just that awful.
LoveMusik is fairly adult. It's Hal Prince. What more could you expect? It is quite good though and brilliantly directed and well written (besides having two great central performances) but not for the kiddies.
Curtains is fine. It's a nice backstage show with some wonderful Kander and Ebb songs.
Legally Blonde was pretty kitschy, but what isn't nowadays? It's fine for tweenies and teens.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#33re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
Posted: 4/21/07 at 8:15pm

I saw Les Mis when I was 11, and I understood everything.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Jim in Merced CA Profile Photo
Jim in Merced CA
#34re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
Posted: 4/22/07 at 4:19pm

Michael Bennet wrote: [Jim, if you think your twelve year old daughter heard anything in Legally Blonde she and her other tweeners don't already talk about at school you are going to be in for a real shocking teen years...But yeah - I'd say these are all "PG rated."]

I'm no prude by any means. And I'm not suggesting that my 12-year old has virginal ears or can't handle the subject matter. 'Gay or European' -- no big deal for me -- that song is actually clever and very, very funny. I also realize that kids 'know what they know' and the stuff they don't know goes over their heads.

My point is that since 'Legally Blonde' is 99.7% 'family friendly' [ie: not offensive in the least], and obviously has an appeal to the 'tween' set, why not just excise the last .3% and make it totally squeaky clean? It would be simple to do, and would not detract from the show.

As written, the two places where the subject matter leans way into PG-13 territory just seemed a bit glaring.

But then Michael Bennett's comment seems to suggest that 'If it's said on the playgound, let it be said in the theater.' I don't agree with that.

whatever2
#35re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
Posted: 4/22/07 at 10:14pm

oh! oh! oh! i konw the answer!!! i know the answer!!!

(hand raised pleadingly.)

could it be because your definition of "0.3% isnt the same as trent lott's definition of "0.3%"?

or because the word "exicise" is patently offensive to an artist????

wake up! are you posting from canada???

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Jim in Merced CA Profile Photo
Jim in Merced CA
#36re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
Posted: 4/23/07 at 12:31am

Does no one else have an opinion about this? Other than just snippy and snarky little comments, like whatever2?

It's just a simple question -- since 'Legally Blonde: The Musical' is being so heavily marketed to the tween set [and what other demographic would be dying to see this show?] -- why not just go 'all the way' and sanitize it completely?

Then, when people ask 'Is Legally Blonde: The Musical' okay for tweens? The answer can simply be 'yes' -- without having to qualify it to death.

Not saying it's the right thing to do, just seems like it would be easier to market.

[By the way, it makes me laugh that people here are getting the impression that I'm some squeaky clean, Conservative Christian whose afraid that my young daughter might hear a 'bad' word.]
Our Tattoo Gallery -- Visit it if you dare!

Videos