pixeltracker

Anna Marie Alberghetti question- Page 2

Anna Marie Alberghetti question

Roscoe
#25re: Anna Marie Alberghetti question
Posted: 5/20/08 at 9:33am

Anna Maria Alberghetti in a taxi, honey.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#26re: Anna Marie Alberghetti question
Posted: 5/20/08 at 9:49am

Shouldnt someone spell the title of this thread correctly?

I'm not sure if the Encores! Carnival should be considered a success. I saw alot of empty seats on Saturday night, and that's for a 4 perf. run.

It was the first time I'd seen it, and I found it dated and creepy...though the score is lovely.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Flippancy Profile Photo
Flippancy
#27re: Anna Marie Alberghetti question
Posted: 5/20/08 at 10:00am

Roscoe, I did a spit take when I read your entry. I thought I was the only one who remembered that line from the MTM show!

CARNIVAL does have a great score; the original cast album is one of my favorites. However, it's like CAMELOT -- if all the elements aren't perfection, it just doesn't work. Kind of like divinity candy.

On another note, I know that Liza Minnelli starred in CARNIVAL in stock (Westbury Music Fair, maybe? I don't remember) back in the early 60s. Even a young Liza would have trouble singing that score in the original keys, although her waif-like quality was probably great in the "Lili" role.

Thomas14850ny2 Profile Photo
Thomas14850ny2
#28re: Anna Marie Alberghetti question
Posted: 5/20/08 at 10:04am

You can't judge the worth of a show by empty seats. The Encores! CARNIVAL was very well received by most of those who saw it. I saw Alberghetti in CARNIVAL during the original NYC run. She was magnificent. I also saw her later (in about 1963)playing Maria in a theatre-in-the-round production of WEST SIDE STORY.

Patti LuPone obviously gets along very well with Arthur Laurents and Lonny Price. That doesn't make her a good performer.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#29re: Anna Marie Alberghetti question
Posted: 5/20/08 at 10:30am

"You can't judge the worth of a show by empty seats."

I wasnt judging the "worth" of anything...I was commenting that it might not be correct to call it a "success" and that the show didnt fill seats, which is an indication of success...not the only one, but an indication.

"The Encores! CARNIVAL was very well received by most of those who saw it."

Wow...I must be wrong, as I didnt poll the audience. Noone I was with recieved it that well. Anne Hathaway and the puppets? Yes. The production and the musical itself? Not so much.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#30re: Anna Marie Alberghetti question
Posted: 5/20/08 at 4:25pm

Liza did "Carnival" at the Mineola Playhouse in Jan/Feb of 1964 and in Sept/Oct of the same year performed in "The Fantasticks" with Elliott Gould at the same venue. She was wonderful in both and at the age of 17 was the perfect Lili. She certainly did have that waif quality at the time which was perfect for the role. I recall her using her chest voice for "Carnival" and the only note reaching moment was the last hate lyric in the song "I Hate Him". Not long ago the other chatroom questioned whether the keys were in fact changed for her voice in "Carnival". I contacted her fan club president who asked Liza and the reply was a definite yes.

Videos