pixeltracker

My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)- Page 2

My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#25re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:14pm

Hahaha I looked at you? I'm searching my mind's-eye if I can remember making eye-contact with anyone down there.... seeing as I don't know you, I'm drawing a blank.

I was meandering around the mezz looking down into the orchestra to get an idea of how full it was. Plus... there was an EXIT sign and I was curious if the stairs led into the bowels of the Marquis. I tend to explore in theatres if I can.

Please reread my sentence on mud-slinging. It wasn't directed directly at you, if you felt the need to defend yourself. (Is that proper English? "directed directly?") Updated On: 3/19/08 at 09:14 PM

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#26re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:15pm

Errico wasn't having sex with Dracula. He was drinking her blood :p

But as far as the bandwagon goes, it *is* hard these days to know when someone genuinely dislikes a musical and just goes along with what they think is the "correct" opinion.

Don't know what that's all about.

"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."

Yankeefan007
#27re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:17pm

I was in row M of the orchestra. Of course, as you said, you have no idea what I look like, so I'm just random guy #45643747.

Funny, you were looking down to see how full the orchestra was; prior to the show Mark O'Donnell walked down to the front of the orchestra to see how full the mezz was.

ETA: I know it wasn't directed at me specfically. I just wanted to specify that I'm not posting a full-on negative review because I hated one aspect but want it to fail. Updated On: 3/19/08 at 09:17 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#28re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:24pm

I kinda feel sorry for CRY-BABY though, even at ATC (All That Chat) they are panning the show... At least we agree on something.. too bad.. its not in a good way..you know what I mean?

Here's some ATC reviews: My fave quotes:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1545372

"Its so sad that audiences aren't more demanding on the quality of their entertainment. Don't demand quality, you won't get quality. Support mediocrity, and mediocrity is what you'll get."

it seemed like the entire audience lept to their feet for the curtain calls, with the exception of myself & a gentleman sitting 2 seats away. I leaned over to him & whispered "we must have seen the same show".

We began to be taught to understand that art was about *us* - about how fabulous *we* are. The CRYBABY audience isn't cheering the show, it's congratulating it*self* for being *at* a show.

I don't think they've been paying very much at Cry Baby.

Updated On: 3/19/08 at 09:24 PM

#29re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:29pm

I was at the matinee today and i too have to agree with what has been said... The show is just a mess. I can't imagine that much can be improved. Get a ticket while you can!!!!

Yankeefan007
#30re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:30pm

I feel very sorry for the show. They got relatively good reviews in La Jolla, and, unless they do a complete overhaul, they're gonna get raked over the coals in New York.

This certainly isn't the show I was expecting. Unfortunately, I went in expecting HAIRSPRAY 2.0. But HAIRSPRAY had lots going for it: O'Brien/Mitchell (though Rob Ashford is up there with Mitchell as my favorite choreographers), Shaiman/Wittman, and Harvey Fierstein, who has made no bones about punching up some of the book and being an uncredited royalty recipient.

Part of the problem with CRY-BABY is that the material isn't all that good to begin with. There's no compelling story to be told. HAIRSPRAY had the aspect of "fat girl makes good, inspires nation." CRY-BABY doesn't even have characters you care about.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#31re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:31pm

More ATC:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1545354

"If I didnt have comp tickets, I would have been pissed, nice chorus buts or otherwise."

From reading the posts and comparing the song list to that in San Diego it appears the creators of the show have chosen not to do any significant rewrites since their lackluster out of town tryout.

Not really, unfortunately. However, looking for arc in CB is like looking for subtlety in a Celine Dion concert.

Yankeefan007
#32re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:34pm

Can anyone post the La Jolla song list? It seems like the 1 major addition is the song for Harriet Harris they don't have orchestrated...

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#33re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:37pm

It seems like from reading all the post from BWW (here) and ATC.. It looks like the problems are:

1. Bad Score
2. Bad Lyrics
3. Bad Book
4. Actors not memorable in their roles.

I dont know how can you fix that? I guess throw in some good chreography, bare ass boys to compensate?

J*
Updated On: 3/19/08 at 09:37 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#34re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:38pm

re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)

J* Updated On: 3/19/08 at 09:38 PM

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#35re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:48pm

Thanks for the detailed review Yankee. I always look forward to reading your thoughts and perspectives on a show. Wonderfully articulated as well.

Just so I can get a measure; using the current GREASE revival as a meter - (bearing in mind that I loath GREASE, but value your opinion) - which is the worst of the two shows?

Yankeefan007
#36re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:52pm

Stagefan - CRY-BABY for the win. GREASE has a hummable score and solid material going for it.

Here is the La Jolla songlist (from Playbill):
"The Anti-Polio Picnic,"
"Watch Your Ass,"
"One Tear,"
"I'm Infected,"
"Squeaky Clean,"
"Let's Disappear,"
"Jukebox Jamboree,"
"Screw Loose,"
"Class Dismissed,
" "Baby Baby Baby Baby (Baby, Baby Baby),"
"Girl, Can I Kiss You...?,"
"I'm Infected (Reprise),"
"You Can't Beat the System,"
"Misery, Agony, Helplessness, Hopelessness, Heartache and Woe,"
"All in My Head,"
"Jailyard Jubilee,"
"A Little Upset,"
"I Did Something Wrong...Once,"
"Thanks for the Nifty Country!,"
"This Amazing Offer,"
"Do That Again"
"Nothing Bad's Ever Gonna Happen Again."

Not one change from the current list in the Playbill. So why is "I Did Something Wrong...Once" played solely with a piano?

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#37re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 10:15pm

Wow! Scratch one Cry-Baby. Thanks for the money-saving information Yankeefan.

I think I'll go Off-Broadway for awhile. Broadway has been disappointing me of late, although I haven't seen August: Osage County as yet. I'll take in The Seagull - Chekhov and Alan Cummings have never disappointed me.
Updated On: 3/19/08 at 10:15 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#38re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 10:21pm

I guess I will do that too. I might just see an Off-Broadway play. I really dont have to see all the musicals on Broadway. Last year- I did not see THE TIMES-THEY ARE CHANGING so I guess.. that would be CRY-BABY this year for me! re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)

J*

Yankeefan007
#39re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 10:36pm

If it counts, the ensemble is made up of cast members from In My Life, Times..., Hairspray, and Wedding Singer.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#40re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 10:41pm

Well, SOMETHING had to be awful....

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#41re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:47pm

This is a serious question: Even if I have tickets for this on Saturday night, should I cut my losses and see something else?

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#42re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:50pm

^See what show you can get instead. I might, but it'd depend on what I could see.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#43re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:56pm

Who's the dumb son of a gun who spent oodles on tix to see this come May 14? *raises hand, blushes* Not a fan right now, not a fan of myself at all. re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#44re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 12:16am

There was definitely no standing ovation tonight, though people did laugh at spots.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#45re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 12:26am

I'm not going to lie, all these bad reviews make me even more excited to see it.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#46re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 12:54am

"I'm not going to lie, all these bad reviews make me even more excited to see it."

I agree.
I kind of want to see what all the fuss is about.
Jay sent me the demo and I like some songs.
I like don't some of it.
I kind of still want to see this, despite it's lacklusterness.
I've never witnessed a mess on Broadway. Well, okay. Brooklyn.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 3/20/08 at 12:54 AM

Love4Theatre Profile Photo
Love4Theatre
#47re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 1:06am

hey, well if you are excited to see this show. Then you can't miss one of the best ensemble performances. Keep a look out for the beautifully talented PIE GIRL.

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#48re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 1:36am

Yankeefan, thank you for actually saying WHY you hated it. It makes it so much easier to gauge where someone is coming from.

I agree that the leads need to take it to another level before opening. You didn't mention the final scene in Act II so maybe it's gotten better, but it was a mess in La Jolla. I also loved Rob's choreography though.

Question. You said that Alli Mauzey's role would get applause no matter who played it. Doesn't that mean that at least those parts of the book work very well? I mean, either the actress or the book is getting the job done there, right?

Did you like Chestor Gregory's singing? I thought he tore it up.

I still don't get the "worst musical ever" that keeps getting thrown around. The musicals that would make my list didn't have a single redeeming things about them, but to each his own. At least you attempted to make a case.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Kelli O'Hara didn't do the full monty in Dracula. Just from the waist up (and even that was a negotiation).

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

RentBoy86
#49re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 1:52am

Well this makes me pissed. When I saw Sunday in the Park with George, maybe 15 (including myself) gave it a standing ovation. But people leapt to their feets for this? What?!

Videos