pixeltracker

The Unreachable Star: My Unauthorized Travels with Patti LuPone- Page 2

The Unreachable Star: My Unauthorized Travels with Patti LuPone

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#25re: The Unreachable Star: My Unauthorized Travels with Patti LuPone
Posted: 8/24/08 at 8:41pm

Remember that story of the girl who called after Patti's son at the stagedoor? I think that is proof enough of why she's weary of stagedooring.

I'm in the group that will be buying just her memoir. Although it would be very entertaining if she threw in something about this book.

#26re: The Unreachable Star: My Unauthorized Travels with Patti LuPone
Posted: 8/24/08 at 8:51pm

OH MY GOD! Patti REPLIED to your EMAIL WITH THREE WORDS! YOU ARE SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#27re: The Unreachable Star: My Unauthorized Travels with Patti LuPone
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:00pm

aw, the story about people stalking Patti's son at the stage door. that was a good one.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#28re: The Unreachable Star: My Unauthorized Travels with Patti LuPone
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:20pm

Calm down Joe :) She usually responds with just a few words, which she uses to great effect. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#29re: The Unreachable Star: My Unauthorized Travels with Patti LuPone
Posted: 8/25/08 at 6:41am

I love Patti. I might check out this book. But I won't be making judgments about the author without reading it.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#30re: The Unreachable Star: My Unauthorized Travels with Patti LuPone
Posted: 8/25/08 at 6:58am

Ah, I love Patti so much!

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

Trey C
#31re: The Unreachable Star: My Unauthorized Travels with Patti LuPone
Posted: 8/25/08 at 10:18am

@ RC in Austin

Ha! Nice "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" reference!!

Yes, RC, I am quite a Patti fan. It goes like this - and in this particular order.

1. Patti
2. Mozart
3. George Takei

And as I wrote earlier, for the die-hard Patti fans, I don't understand why they won't give this book a look unless it's a $ issue and I certainly can relate to that! Especially in these times. But it wasn't too bad, the book cost me <$20. I loved all the little Patti stories and insights in it!!

I also bought George Takei's biography and that doesn't mean I won't buy other books about him by other people. So I don't get the "I'll pass on this one and wait for Patti's book" school of thought. Neither do I criticize it!! I'm just bemused by it.

Speaking of George Takei and Patti LuPone, I went to Gypsy the first Saturday after the opening and guess who I saw? That's right, the intrepid George Takei (Mr. Sulu)!!! And he was so, so, nice!! What a great guy! Missed Sami Gayle, though. Her understudy was on and Sami looked so sad and pathetic with all those balloons.

(RC - I have a brother in Austin, Alphonso. Do you know him? (Haha, you'd probably need a little more info than that!))

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32re: The Unreachable Star: My Unauthorized Travels with Patti LuPone
Posted: 8/25/08 at 12:45pm

Hilarious thread. I met Patti a couple of times. She was always a bit aloof until I dropped a couple of names of acquaintances we had in common. Then she was quite gracious. It may seem snobby, but I get it. If I had the hundreds of freaky fans she has, I might do the same. I do remember one funny bit in London when I met her after her concert at the Donmar, she freaked out a bit because I "followed her" out of the theatre. I wanted to say, "Patti, calm down. I'm not following you, I'm leaving. There's only one exit. Chill."

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

#33re: The Unreachable Star: My Unauthorized Travels with Patti LuPone
Posted: 8/25/08 at 2:59pm

those three words are probably more than most people get.AND there was insight, letting us know she TOO finds it "iffy."

Trey C
#34re: The Unreachable Star: My Unauthorized Travels with Patti LuPone
Posted: 8/25/08 at 4:14pm

"iffy"

"Iffy" wasn't Patti's word. She endorsed it. And I'm not the brightest bulb. As Columbo would say, once of the other detectives back at the station would have had this all figured out by now!

What does "iffy" mean in this context? What does it mean vis-a-vis this book? That the book is inaccurate? In what sense? I mean really, it's just a trifle, it's not a magnum opus! A fun trifle. Like a mint truffle!

In my reading of it, I found nothing that I, in my limited abilities, found "iffy."

As we all say these days, "it is what it is," but I didn't find it in any way to be "iffy," whatever that means!

I've received a handful of email responses from Patti over the years. They're not terribly personal. I'd be happy to share if anyone's curious. They usually go like this:

Dear Trey C:

Yes, I like sushi.

Love, Patti!

Short, but oh so sweet. Like the mint truffle!

Videos