News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Important Spring Awakening Question- Page 2

Important Spring Awakening Question

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#25re: Important Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:17pm

Amen insertclevernamehere. Amen.

I "get" the oh-aren't-we-deep thing they're trying to portray with the handheld mics ~ I just see right through the pretentiousness of it.

Ditto the whole show.

Sometimes people just don't like things. (Or people, as I've had a similar discussion with someone who cannot accept "I just don't like her" as a reason.) Sometimes things just strike people or don't. Doesn't make one opinion more valid than another.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#26re: Important Spring Awakening Question

The thing that bothers me about the microphones is that the creators of the show got all "OMG, see, we're using microphones, so you know that the singing isn't them just bursting into song like in a cheesy traditional musical! The singing is them talking through feelings, or having semi-abstract scenes! And the microphones prove that!!!". Which is... quite a naive way to think; in pretty much EVERY musical, a good portion of the songs are soliloquys or abstracted scenes. Even the songs that are essentially conversations that move the plot along are in a more abstract form because of the fact they're singing. The creators had the right idea, that the songs are not to be accepted as the way the world of the show is, but they rather foolishly assumed that they're the only show that has ever done this, and also that they had to have microphones so the audience would get their point. Which is both naive and patronising.

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#27re: Important Spring Awakening Question

This is ridiculous. You're an idiot who started a random thread when NO ONE was trash talking SA. So all of these hateful comments are YOUR FAULT.

That being said, I love the story and show, though it did NOT deserve all of it's Tonys. It deserved most, yes, but not all. The choreography Tony was a completely mistake. Jumping around on stage does not beat full out dance numbers, end of story. Still love the show, though.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#28re: Important Spring Awakening Question

Well, I'm not done. One: INDIE? They've done a photoshoot for the GAP for Christ sake. Two: Those mics aren't old fashioned, BUT THEY ARE 1890's GERMANY. Please tell me what their artistic meaning are.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#29STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:18pm

Are we actually having this debate?

Okay.... First of all, I will say this -- I do not hate SPRING AWAKENING. Shows such as RENT and WICKED bother me more than this flawed snooze. I also respect SPRING AWAKENING and what it has done to the theatre scene (bringing in younger generations).

But the show has this ridiculously artistic attitude that just makes me sick.

First of all. Duncan Sheik believes his type of music is "better" than Broadway showtunes. Yes, he said that in an interview... with that kind of attiude, you better be able to back it up.

He fails at this, though.

There are a few selections that really are nice and, musically, sound wonderful. But then we have some songs that just kind of sit there. and go absolutely nowhere. completely bland. and can be quite obnoxious. such as "Guilty Ones" and even "Left Behind" and especially "Mirror-Blue Night" ....

I get that it's a different kind of music. But you still need to have real substance. I'm not going to sit through 2 hours of an indie pop/rock show. I can go do that in the basement of a concert hall for $10.

Now my least favorite part: the lyrics! I thought the lyrics legit sucked. I believe it is the most flowery, overly-poetic, pathetic lyric writing. ever. I was not moved by the countless poetic analogies and metaphors. The subtle artsy imagery did NOT inspire me. it kinda made me nauseous. It was more like "Ohh let's put in a sentence about a purple flower and we can relate that back to mating!" or something. Just terrible. Honestly.

Look... when it all comes down to it, it's about taste. I enjoyed myself when I saw it (despite the ridiculously lame acting) but still believe it is one of the most overhyped, mediocre, artsy fartsy pieces of junk on Broadway. I applaud those involved for proving the naysayers wrong. But I can't stand fan girls/boys who will stop at nothing to defend these boring snoozes.

You asked a question -- now just SHUT UP and listen to the answers. Why do you continue to respond to every single post? You wanted the board's opinions. So now you're getting them. People can say whatever the f*ck they want. Since when can the OP dictate what is said??? Give me a break.

Shunterk2 Profile Photo
Shunterk2
#30re: Important Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:19pm

James885- I did not pay attention to hype, but as I stated earlier everyone has their own opinion, and they're entitled to it. Yes some aspects of the show weren't as fantastic as others, but none of us had a choice in what Tony's got awarded to who.

insertclevernamehere- I totally agree with you, if came off that way earlier, then I apologize, and as I already stated, you may not have had the same connection with the show that I did, and I may not have a connection with a show you like. That I accept, but I just hate it when people just bastardize a show, like Spring Awakening, and they don't support their arguments.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#31STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:19pm

NGD: the mics are the creators' attempts at Brechtian theatre. Although I strongly suspect that if they're aware of this, it's because some kind soul said "wow, how Brechtian!", and not because they themselves set out to achieve this.

If you're going to get so pedantic as to play the "OMG 1890s Germany!" card, then why are they performing in English, with American accents? :P

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#32STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:21pm

It was more about the 1890's part over the Germany part. It sounded better together. No electricity but we'll break out big ass mics.
Updated On: 9/6/08 at 02:21 PM

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#33STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:26pm

The mikes are there for the same reason that the anachronistical allusions to stereo and other twentieth century devices are in the show; to demonstrate that the things these 18th centuary German kids are going through are still happening today. My issue with this is that the creative team is once again using it in a way that suggests that the audience is incapable of making that connection in their heads without the mikes.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#34STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:29pm

They seem think you need their help to know what the **** is going on.

Shunterk2 Profile Photo
Shunterk2
#35STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:35pm

I still just don't understand why so many people hate shows, Spring Awakening in particular, because of their fanbase or their reputation. You should only judge a show, by what happens the minute you step into the theater. Everyone is going to ruin a show. Duncan Sheik and the other creators of the show may be total jerks, but you should still go into the theater with a positive attitude and clear your mind. wicked_beast4- Actually if you look under the Spring Awakening Movie Thread, people are pretty nasty to it. Also this is not an arguement, this is a debate, over why Spring Awakening is good or bad, not over whether I'm a jerk, or he's a jerk, or Dick Cheney is a jerk, but Spring Awakening. TDH- I started reading your post thinking, "this person is sane enough to actually have a good discussion with" and then you ruined it at the bottom, you did what a terrible poster does and that is to post a ridiculously obnoxious comment that just makes you look like a jerk. I agree that the show is VERY ARTSY, but the thing you are not grasping is that I know that a show like this is not everyone's cup of tea, and yet I've stated this multiple times. I respect opinions, but that was just nasty. TGD2225- Doing a photoshoot for GAP, means that the producers sold out. I doubt that when the musical was original written they intended to sell out as they do now. Thank you weez for noting that if they performed the play to be completely realistic, we wouldn't understand any of it, and it would be in a cold dark theater. The show, srry TDH, is supposed to be artistic, not realistic.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#36STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:37pm

I;m not ****ing retarded! I know that the show is supposed to be ARTSY.

But it's not a good kind of Artsy. it's just obnoxiously artsy. And really lame.

I gave it a chance and gave you my reasons, so stop whining!!!! Move on.

Shunterk2 Profile Photo
Shunterk2
#37STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:40pm

TDH- If you think that it is obnoxiously artsy, then that is your opinion, just don't shove it down people throats. And your probably going to respond with some quote of mine trying to prove how I am shoving my opinion down people's throats. So go ahead, I'm waiting. Anyways, I enjoyed the show, and BTW I really Laughed out loud when I saw your avatar, but that is not related to the topic.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#38STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:40pm

Why shouldn't it be realistic? It is written as a real story. Nothing abstract or artistic, it is just what it is. There aren't magic carpets or mermaids.

Edit: Spring Awakening is shoving it down our throats.

hunter you should read this:

http://www.broadwayabridged.com/scripts/springawakening.shtml

and then listen to this:

http://www.broadwayabridged.com/2008/07/broadway-abridged-live-spring-awakening.html Updated On: 9/6/08 at 02:40 PM

Shunterk2 Profile Photo
Shunterk2
#39STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:43pm

The show was made to be artistic because that's what the creators wanted to portray it as. It's not our choice, could you imagine the show visually, if they had put a toilet in a bathroom for Hanschen to sit on, it would have looked awful.

insertclevernamehere
#40STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:43pm

Spring Awakening is, as someone said earlier in the thread, artsy for the sake of being artsy and no other reason.
And unfortunatly it is easy to hate a show like this because of its fanbase. When I saw the show, I didn't like it. Then, once I had to defend my opinions time and time again and was told that I "don't understand art" or whatever the Guilty Ones kept telling me, I found it much easier to hate the show.

"The show was made to be artistic because that's what the creators wanted to portray it as. It's not our choice."
But it IS our choice to disagree with the creators. They choose to make the show overly artistic; I choose to not like that route.

Updated On: 9/6/08 at 02:43 PM

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#41STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:48pm

You mean teenagers don't jerk it the bathroom? No duh just slapping a toilet in the middle of a ****ty set that lacks any substance would look terrible. But if they actually made a SET the toilet wouldn't look like crap & out of place.
Updated On: 9/6/08 at 02:48 PM

Shunterk2 Profile Photo
Shunterk2
#42STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:50pm

What's wrong with the set? I loved it.

insertclevernamehere
#43STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:54pm

NGD2225 I just read the abridged script and now I'm giggling to myself in a way thats sure to disturb the other people in the library. So thanks for that.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#44STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:54pm

What set? Minimum set works for Chicago because it takes place in a house, courtroom, & a jail. Spring Awakening has all these nature settings. a hayloft is represented by a platform 8 inches of the ground.... really? Changing a sex scene from rape to consensual IS NOT RIGHT.

NYCC: Listen to the other link. It is the script acted out. Updated On: 9/6/08 at 02:54 PM

Shunterk2 Profile Photo
Shunterk2
#45STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:58pm

NGD2225- The people who obviously did not like the show, posted those. It's not like they were actually criticizing it, if you want to see people make fun of Broadway for it's flaws, go to Forbidden Broadway (Which I don't have a problem with). The set was, ARTISTIC, as was the show. Basically from the answers I've gotten I've come to 3 conclusions. (1) People don't like the show because it is overly artsy, in their opinion. I respect this opinion as it does provide sustenance as to why people don't like Spring Awakening. (2) Other people don't like the show because they didn't feel a connection with it. (3) And another group of people don't like the show because of obscure reasons that in no way affect the production. Thank you all for your help guys.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#46STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:59pm

You should only judge a show, by what happens the minute you step into the theater.

Fine. You want to put it in those terms? What happened the minute I stepped into the theatre? Nothing. The show failed to move me one way or another, which is the worst a show can do (or not as the case may be) in my opinion.

Make me laugh, make me cry, make me despise it or a character, but for god's sake make me feel SOMETHING during the show!

All I felt during Spring Awakening was...nothing.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Shunterk2 Profile Photo
Shunterk2
#47STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:01pm

jordangirl- I respect your opinion, obviously you did not connect with the show. Thank you for a reason that makes sense.

insertclevernamehere
#48STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:03pm

What jordangirl said. :)

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#49STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:03pm

Forbidden Broadway also changes all the time with a limited budget they need to create 20 musicals. Spring Awakening had a bigger budget & they did nothing with it.

Videos