EVITA: Which Recording?

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#25re: EVITA: Which Recording?
Posted: 9/22/08 at 2:44pm

I think there's someone subpar on every recording; it's TOTALLY Madonna on the film soundtrack, which was otherwise a marvellous recording. I personally favour the London revival, although Elena Roger and Matt Rawle are kinda harsh-sounding on the ears. Sometimes, I do just want song highlights without all the dialogue and jibberjabber in-between. :3

sondhead
#26re: EVITA: Which Recording?
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:10pm

"BUT if you're a 'purist' and prefer the stage arrangements go for the Julie Covington studio recording, and you'll just have to put up with the appalling Juan Peron!!"

Everybody--let's all remember that Julie Covington was on the Concept album. This is often referred to as the OLC incorrectly. This recording is only an album. It was never a stage production and therefore doesn't feature the stage arrangements.

The actual OLC is a highlights disc and features Elaine Paige.

I love Paige, but I wish they'd recorded the exciting part of A New Argentina (He supports you for he loves you etc.) and overall I think the OBC is the best recording.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#27re: EVITA: Which Recording?
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:12pm

As has been said, each of the recordings have some great attributes, some not so great, but overall, I prefer the Original Broadway Cast Recording.

jcdenton08
#28re: EVITA: Which Recording?
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:30pm

Hence "studio" recording, not "original cast recording".. re: EVITA: Which Recording? in the biz, the term studio recording refers to any professionally produced (non-bootleg) recording made with the *consent* of the copyright owner, but not necessarily the express endorsement.

In this case it's a studio concept recording produced and sent out to try and convince backers to part with their money..
Other examples of this include the Les Miserables original French concept album, the Chess concept album..

The OLC of Evita did indeed feature Elaine Paige, who was offered the role as a second-choice, after Julie Covington turned down the role of Evita on stage to focus on her (very) private life. re: EVITA: Which Recording?

I think ALW is on record as saying he wished Covington had stayed on..

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#29re: EVITA: Which Recording?
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:38pm

If you're not a stickler for language, the original Madrid recording is wonderful. The most Latin-inspired orchestrations of any of the stage recordings. I love the marimbas.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#30re: EVITA: Which Recording?
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:44pm

Wasnt there a "world tour" recording around?

was that in English? and was it a full one?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#31re: EVITA: Which Recording?
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:37pm

Nope. Just highlights.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32re: EVITA: Which Recording?
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:37pm

I did listen to the World Tour recording and don't remember it as being very remarkable. It was a highlights CD.

I think everyone should listen to the Korean cast recording once in their lifetime just to experience the single worst train wreck of a cast recording ever captured on disc. See if you can make it to the end. Both CDs.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

puppet
#33delete
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:59pm

Updated On: 9/30/08 at 05:59 PM

Videos