Hunchback of Notre Dame

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#25re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/29/08 at 10:47pm

RentBoy, I agree! It was clearly some attempt at Oscar bait and meant to be tear-jerkingly inspirational for me, but it doesn't do it for me nearly as much as most of the rest of the score.

Little-Lotte Profile Photo
Little-Lotte
#26re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/29/08 at 10:53pm

I thought that the gargoyles worked onstage quite well. Yes, they added some comic effect at times but it really seemed to play up the point that these three characters were all different aspects of Quasimodo's psyche. The final scene with him and Frollo is quite intense in part with the inclusion of the gargoyles.

I do agree that the movie wasn't well received because of the darker subject matter. I mean the context of "Hellfire" alone is pretty adult for a Disney movie, especially at that point in time. I still really liked it though and I consider it one of their last good animated films.

Mekroth
#27re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/30/08 at 12:36am

I really would love if either Disney's OR DeYoung's productions came to NY.

whatever2
#28re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/30/08 at 12:02pm

> the whole talking gargoyles bit would be strange on stage if they were life size

i get why you'd say that, but actually the life-size talking gargoyles worked quite well in berlin ...

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Matteus
#29re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/30/08 at 1:43pm

Hey all. First time poster.

While I do not know too much about the intricacies of theater, I love to watch shows, and I love Disney.

I think Hunchback would be amazing and I hope it comes to pass. The score is one of the most amazing scores from the Disney movies of the 90s.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#30re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/30/08 at 4:13pm

Place me in the pro-gargoyle camp. In Berlin, they were quite stunning. The costumes were rather sophisticated and beautiful and they cleverly emerged from their own set pieces, which were constructed to house each gargoyle in its statuesque pose until they stepped out and came to life. Their appearance was not as cutesy as in the film, but not spooky enough to scare the children. They were very artistic and my favorite thing about the production, actually.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#31re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/30/08 at 10:40pm

I saw the DeYoung version this summer while traveling in Chicago, and saw the Disney mini version (about 10 years ago)at Disneyland. They were VERY different; the DeYoung version stayed more true to the novel. Obviously, the Disney version would be a bigger money maker, but there are some hauntingly wonderful songs in the DeYoung production. Check out iTunes... "Who Will Love this Child" and "With Every Heartbeat" are among my favorites.

gypsy4
#32re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/30/08 at 11:55pm

I repeat the next disney show is Peter and The Star Catchers which is opening at the lajolla playhouse

Videos