Hunchback of Notre Dame

theatrenut2 Profile Photo
theatrenut2
#1Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/24/08 at 2:06pm

I have rumors that Hunchback of Notre Dame may be coming to Broadway. Is that true? Thanks

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#2re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/24/08 at 2:33pm

It's been a rumor for about 10 years...

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#2re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/24/08 at 2:34pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE this to happen... but yeah... it's been "coming to Broadway" for years now... We'll see re: Hunchback of Notre Dame

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#3re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/24/08 at 2:58pm

It was a rumor in 1999 during the Berlin run, but nothing more than that since then. If it does come to Broadway, I really hope it has a better design. The blocks and projections got pretty dull after the first 15 minutes or so.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#4re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/24/08 at 2:58pm

Last I read, Stephen Schwartz said maybe as soon as 2010, but I think that's too good to be true.

Loved the German production with Drew Sarich, though. He was perfect for the role.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Mister Matt
#5re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/24/08 at 3:29pm

Drew was wonderful. It was the staging and choreography I didn't care for. Gorgeous costumes, though.

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#6re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/24/08 at 7:36pm

Disney theatricals head Thomas Schumacher has said it isn't happening.

Oddly, I was JUST listening to the CD. Gosh, that's great stuff.
Broadway Mouth: $11.99 is a Pretty Darn Good Price

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#7re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/24/08 at 8:09pm

Technically there are other productions than Disney's. Wasn't the DeYoung version doing a run in Chicago this past summer as a possible try-out?

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

ThankstoPhantom
#8re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/24/08 at 8:11pm

There was also a French musical: Notre Dame de Paris. I believe it flopped in London.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#9re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/24/08 at 8:16pm

I would LOVE to see Hunchback come to Broadway, but it just isn't happening anytime soon. Or ever...

Little-Lotte Profile Photo
Little-Lotte
#10re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/24/08 at 10:19pm

Put me in the camp that would LOVE to see this on Broadway. But its been "coming to Broadway" for years now. Lots of differing opinions with the creatives and financiers (Disney) have been keeping it from the ever coming to the States so until I see a press release with an opening night and theatre, I won't believe it.

livwild Profile Photo
livwild
#11re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/24/08 at 10:42pm

haha that's what disney should do next....it would be interesting.

"I turned the corner, and there you stood, your smile like home to me, your heart familiar. No use pretending, not that I could, I turned the corner when I met you" -Thoroughly Modern Millie

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#12re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/25/08 at 7:18am

There was also a French musical: Notre Dame de Paris. I believe it flopped in London.

Just pray that this never comes to Broadway - didn't it flop in Las Vegas as well? Dreary music, terrible lyrics and bizarre staging....

The German version restored the original ending and was much darker - maybe Disney are nervous of putting on something that differs in tone from the cartoon?

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#13re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/25/08 at 8:20am

Worldnt Clay be a great Quasi? lol.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#14re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/25/08 at 1:11pm

1. Clay should stay far, far away from playing Quasimodo.

2. According to this article, they are still developing the show for Broadway:

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/life/stories/2008/09/21/1A_DISNEY_MUSICALS.ART_ART_09-21-08_E1_18BAF84.html?sid=101

I just hope they don't tamper too much with the German version if/when they bring it to Broadway.

"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#15re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/25/08 at 1:27pm

Reportedly, Bart Sher is going to be working on it with the Intiman Theatre as its initial tryout spot.

SO glad that Disney can rely on our non-profit theaters to help them out in times of need, what with Disney out on the street with a tin cup and pencils for sale.

What a whore Sher is. Absolutely disgusting.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
Updated On: 9/25/08 at 01:27 PM

Mister Matt
#16re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/29/08 at 11:31am

SO glad that Disney can rely on our non-profit theaters to help them out in times of need, what with Disney out on the street with a tin cup and pencils for sale.

Most likely, it's the other way around. When non-profit theatres need money, they look to a cash cow to bail them out. Nothing disgusting about it at all. Is it the only show they are producing? It's more interesting than another production of A Thousand Clowns, in my opinion.

luke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
#17re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:04pm

the cast recording for this production absolutely blew me away, and it looks like a phenomenal show. Would love to see an English-language version of it mounted :] I saw Beauty & the Beast in Theater Am Potsdamer Platz (The Theatre that was build for Glockner in 1998/99 originally called 'Musical Theater Berlin') and it is the most gorgeous theatre I have ever had the fortune to see a performance in, truly amazing theatre, must've been one hell of a production to have a theatre like that built for it!

THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II

Yankeefan007
#18re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:18pm

I loved it at Disneyworld.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#19re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:37pm

I remember there being rumors that it was going to come to Broadway when they were rehersing the Berlin production in NYC. However, Disney denied those rumors and it never came to NYC. That was the only time that people thought that this show was going to come to NYC.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Scarywarhol
#20re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/29/08 at 1:23pm

I wish I could say that it would be a good idea for Disney to actually do this on Broadway, but obviously it really sorta isn't. I mean, it was not one of the more successful of the "Second Golden Age" Disney animated films.

I know Michael Eisner wanted to do it as a live-action TV Wonderful World of Disney feature as a pet project, but obviously that didn't happen. That could have been one good thing to come out of Eisner in the 2000s.

Mister Matt
#21re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/29/08 at 3:15pm

must've been one hell of a production to have a theatre like that built for it!

It could have been, but in the end, it wasn't. Unless you are fond of blocks and projections for over 2 hours. There was no doubt the display of technology was impressive, it just wasn't very creative and quickly became redundant.

I mean, it was not one of the more successful of the "Second Golden Age" Disney animated films.

Perhaps not, but it was discussed even back then that its score was the most "theatrical" of the Disney films to date. The book and score changes for the German production proved it could live up to its potential (with some minor improvements), but it needs to be entirely restaged if they don't want another Tarzan on their hands.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#22re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/29/08 at 4:35pm

I really hope this happens. I love that it's darker than the other Disney movies and I think the score is great too. Would make for great theatre if done right.

~Steven

Scarywarhol
#23re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/29/08 at 5:49pm

"Perhaps not, but it was discussed even back then that its score was the most "theatrical" of the Disney films to date. The book and score changes for the German production proved it could live up to its potential (with some minor improvements), but it needs to be entirely restaged if they don't want another Tarzan on their hands"

I agree that it is highly theatrical and I do think it would be fantastic, personally, but the movie was not what people (families) were expecting and with even huge-name Disney shows like Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins struggling in non-Summer months, I think Disney would be pretty wary of spending millions on this mostly-forgotten gem.

RentBoy86
#24re: Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 9/29/08 at 10:45pm

I think if they down played the childishness of the movie- the whole talking gargoyles bit would be strange on stage if they were life size, but played up the darker elements. I think the movie is the most "unsafe" of all the Disney properties, which is probably why it's my favorite. It's such a great show, and I still listen to the soundtrack (but I hate "Gold Help the Outcasts," it's so boring).

Videos