pixeltracker

Barbra Streisand as Mame- Page 2

Barbra Streisand as Mame

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#25re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 3:18pm

I liked the movie of Mame, although I admit it was a mess.

I think that Orfeh should play Mame.

....but the world goes 'round

#26re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 3:23pm

Isn't she too old? Or, too young?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#27re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 3:26pm

that's the beauty of it joe, she's adaptable.

....but the world goes 'round

dayao Profile Photo
dayao
#28re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 11:10pm

I agree that Streisand is too old to play Mame but I don't see her in the role even if she were the right age. Kathleen Turner would be wonderful in the role if she could sing it, but Turner is already in her mid 50's. Emma Thompson is probably the only actress near the correct age, vocal ability and even more important, with the class to play Mame today. America Ferrera would be perfectly hilarious as Gooch in a new production of Mame, in my opinion. Even though I think Thompson would be superb in the role I also agree that Rosalind Russell in the still popular non musical original has left an almost indelible impression. Russell didn't just play Auntie Mame...to several generations, she is Mame.

"I long-ago realized that this country is a nation of morons, when it comes to knowledge of anything outside, or beyond, pop culture." Steve Slezak
Updated On: 2/19/09 at 11:10 PM

Broadway Baby 2
#29re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/20/09 at 10:48am

She has had her share of leading movie musical roles. Give someone else a chance.

Brick
#30re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/20/09 at 11:07am

I cry myself to sleep every night over the missed attempts to get Cher as Mame.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#31re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/20/09 at 3:39pm

"Barbra is completely wrong for the role. She'd be a FAB Gooch!"

She's the first person I think of when I imagine someone singing to a saint for protection.

Not to mention she's just the right age to play a character who becomes pregnant.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#32re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/20/09 at 4:39pm

"But Mame is AGELESS!
I didn't see Christine Ebersole as Mame. What exactly was wrong with her performance?"

Dolly is ageless. Mame, not so much.

In the first act, Mame's a woman in the prime of life who attracts handsome, charming, rich men. I think it's important that whoever plays the role can play this believably. Once we accept her at the beginning, we'll accept her when she's supposed to be older. Even for most of act two, she's only 10 years older than she is at the beginning. If she's 40ish in act one, she's 50ish for most of act two.

Honestly, even Ebersole's too old now, as far as I'm concerned, and some of these other suggestions . . .

I didn't see Ebersole, but most people who saw her didn't think she was very good. Personally, I think she's a somewhat cold, calculating performer. Not to say that she doesn't have vulnerability onstage when she really needs it, but she doesn't have much warmth. This works for her brilliantly in some roles but I don't think she's right for Mame.

I don't need a revival of this show anyway. I'd love to see a good revival of Auntie Mame, perhaps with Harriet Harris (but it better be soon), though that's not too likely. Mame is just not as good.

And as others have said, Mame must believably be a WASP. Streisand, no, Midler, no. Streep, yes (though a little old), but she's not about to sign for a year of doing a musical on Broadway.

Gothampc
#33re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/20/09 at 4:51pm

"Dolly is ageless. Mame, not so much."

Actually Dolly isn't ageless. We have to believe that it's possible for her to re-enter society and not let "the parade pass her by".

The problem with Ebersole is that she is more suited for Vera. She should have been ripping off Vera's acidic barbs.

The role is Catherine Zeta-Jones' for the taking.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#34re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/20/09 at 4:57pm

"Actually Dolly isn't ageless."

Well, relatively ageless in comparison with Mame. I'd buy a 60ish Dolly. I wouldn't buy a 60ish Mame.

In some ways, Dolly becomes a bit more touching if she's older and has less time left. There really are no advantages at all to having a 60ish Mame.

Still, I find both shows problematic. I'm sure with the original casts, they were great. But I think the magic is not going to be recaptured in any revival we're likely to see.

husk_charmer
#35re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/20/09 at 5:59pm

I still say Lauren Graham as Mame.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Derrickg
Justin_Hall Profile Photo
Justin_Hall
#37re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/21/09 at 2:57am

Barbara seems all wrong to me for Mame.

I'd rather they try to fix Mack And Mabel that revive Mame anyway.

Without the spice of guilt, sin cannot be fully savored. - Alexander Chase

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#38re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/21/09 at 2:58am

OK, Derrickg, I know you must be bored.

LadyDramaturg2
#39re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/21/09 at 3:17pm

Until Barbra figures out how to BE somebody else in her roles other than Barbra, please don't let her be cast in one of the classic musical roles, WASP or otherwise. [Her Dolly just ruined the show for me, I ashamedly admit.]

I reflexively thought Ebersole, until I remembered how her genius is that madcap thing she does. Mame is madcap, but in a very refined (Greenwich) kind of way. Vera, that would be fresh, because Ebersole might not play her so jaded[-cliche].

I would want to see a very good acting-singer; I'm not convinced actors like Graham have enough experience and command.

Marla Schaffel? [Too wacky?] She is such a talent [imho].

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#40re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/21/09 at 6:17pm

MAME needs to be revived and soon but as the Kennedy Center attempt a couple of years ago proved, you gotta cast the right person. And there's the rub. This is a STAR role and I honestly can't think of anybody with a big enough presence that wouldn't mangle it. CZJ doesn't have it in my opinion. Babs and Bette would butcher it (love them both but please . . . ) Patti could sing the hell out of it but she would beat it into submission in the process.

Jon
#41re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/21/09 at 8:19pm

Not only does Gooch get pregnant, she gets pregnant late int he story - after patrick is fully grown. So even if she was 45 when she got pegnant, she's have to be no older than 30 in the first part of the show.

Kristin Chenoweth is the perfect Gooch.

Videos