News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for dayao

dayao Profile Photo
Member Name: dayao
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jill Clayburgh has died
 Nov 5 2010, 10:40:05 PM
I enjoyed her performances in "The Rothschilds" & "Pippin" in the early 1970s. Because of her later, impressive career as a dramatic film actress, I don't think many people realized what a wonderful singer she was too. She will be greatly missed.
Barbara Billingsley, Beaver's TV Mom, Dies At 94
 Oct 16 2010, 08:46:08 PM
Goodbye, June Cleaver. You were the standard for all TV mothers.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130615696&ft=1&f=1001&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Audrey Hepburn 'couldn't sing and couldn't act', says Emma Thompson
 Aug 10 2010, 09:01:36 PM
Carey Mulligan and Emma Thompson aren't worth a pimple on Audrey Hepburn's decaying arse, either as actresses or especially in the case of Thompson, human beings. And when was the last time you heard Mulligan sing? Is she a soprano with the high notes necessary for Eliza? Based on what I have seen of her so far I already know she can't act her way out of a paper bag. Nobody has even commented on whether any of Thompson's casting choices can even sing. It's 1964 all over, except worse.
Audrey Hepburn 'couldn't sing and couldn't act', says Emma Thompson
 Aug 10 2010, 01:03:18 AM
She is regarded as one of the Hollywood greats. But Audrey Hepburn couldn't act, couldn't sing and was "fantastically twee", according to Emma Thompson in Aug 10, 2010 London Telegraph
article.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/7933194/Audrey-Hepburn-couldnt-sing-and-couldnt-act-says-Emma-Thompson.html

Encores Bells Are Ringing Casting Ideas
 Aug 1 2010, 04:46:15 PM
I agree that Chenoweth is all wrong for Ella; vocally she would be fine but she is not a good character actress. You can see proof of that currently in Promises, Promises. But if we are going to consider actresses in their 40s how about Andrea McArdle? Or better yet, Toni Collette. A fantastic character actress and very good singer, Collette would make the role her own but still preserve the characteristics that make Ella a memorable musical theater character. Another good fit for this role
Gunn and Voight for 'Annie Get your Gun' at Glimmerglass next year?
 Jul 22 2010, 05:40:05 PM
You are so right, Joey; but in the last few years Glimmerglass have been trying to attract younger audiences to replace the old fogies who seem to be staying away or dying off.
Gunn and Voight for 'Annie Get your Gun' at Glimmerglass next year?
 Jul 22 2010, 05:13:25 PM
I am sure they have the vocal chops to sing it acoustically but little else. Just what we need to entice a contemporary audience to this charming, tuneful show, a 50 year old Annie & a 52 year old Frank Butler. Yuk!
Elf, Funny Girl, & Annie Dream Casts
 Jun 24 2010, 12:42:23 AM
Lea Michele would be "nightmare", not dream casting for "Funny Girl". Wouldn't you rather have someone who can act and sing? Michele has proven on "Glee" and especially the Tonys that she can do neither. Adam Lambert would be more believable as Fanny Brice than Lea Michele; at least he sings better.

Seriously though, I think Matthew Morrison would be great as Nicky Arnstein and I would cast Tammy Blanchard, a superb singer and actress, as Fanny Brice, although at 33 she might be co

What is the most obscure but brilliant musical you love?
 Apr 17 2010, 08:36:27 PM
THE STUDENT GYPSY (1963) Music & Lyrics by Rick Besoyan
with wonderful performances by Eileen Brennan, Allen Case, Shannon Bolin, Dom DeLuise & Mitzie Welch.

Kathryn Grayson, Star of Kiss Me, Kate and Show Boat, Dies at 88
 Feb 18 2010, 06:58:37 PM
Kathryn Grayson, who starred in such classic movie musicals as Show Boat and Kiss Me Kate, has died, according to published reports. She was 88.

Among Grayson's other film credits are Anchors Aweigh, Lovely to Look At, Rio Rita, The Vagabond King and The Desert Song.

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york/news/02-2010/kathryn-grayson-star-of-kiss-me-kate-and-show-boat_25092.html

In light of Valentines day, what is your favorite broadway love song?
 Feb 10 2010, 06:46:58 PM
"All the Things You Are" from VERY WARM FOR MAY, composed in 1939 by Jerome Kern, with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II and still the most beautiful and romantic love song I have ever heard in any Broadway musical.
Russell Crowe & Beyonce Knowles to lead in A STAR IS BORN remake?
 Feb 5 2010, 11:49:21 PM
Beyonce Knowles as a singer and actress is not worth a pimple on Judy Garland's *ss.
Cleverest Lyrics?
 Feb 1 2010, 08:43:58 PM
from LADY BE GOOD

Who takes care of the caretaker's daughter
When the caretaker’s busy taking care?
Gee! Oh gosh, oh gee
That’s what worries me.
I know the caretaker must take care
And while he's taking care she's alone somewhere
But who takes care of the caretaker's daughter
While the caretaker’s busy taking care?

Who lays the bricklayer's daughter
While the bricklayer's busy laying bricks?
Gee! Oh gosh, oh gee
That’s what worries me.
RIP James Mitchell
 Jan 23 2010, 01:41:58 AM
I recently saw on DVD "The Desert Song" sequence in the 1954 MGM film, "Deep in My Heart", where Mitchell is paired with Cyd Charisse, and their dancing is as erotic and exciting today as it was over 50 years ago. A truly great dancer and actor.
Did Rob Marshall think NINE was going to be the next CABARET?
 Jan 18 2010, 09:52:15 PM
I'm sure he didn't think it would turn out to be the next "Heaven's Gate".
re: re: re: re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
 Jan 3 2010, 07:09:44 PM
Susan Watson, who originated the role of Kim MacAfee in the 1960 production, was 22 at the time. Ann-Margret was the same age, 22 when she played the role in the 1963 film version. Chynna Phillips was 27 when she played Kim in the incredibly boring 1995 TV remake. None of these actresses looked or acted 16 and were not required or directed to be so in their performances. Allie Trimm, 15, who plays Kim in the present production, is the first actress who is close to the character's real age an
Oscar winner Jennifer Jones dies at 90
 Dec 17 2009, 04:14:37 PM
LOS ANGELES - Jennifer Jones, the beautiful, raven-haired actress who was nominated for Academy Awards five times, winning in 1943 for her portrayal of a saintly nun in "The Song of Bernadette," died Thursday. She was 90.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34466392/ns/entertainment-celebrities/

re: Why Arent' Actors Dubbed In Movie Musicals Anymore?
 Dec 3 2009, 06:35:26 PM
In Ava Gardner's case it was more than "oomph" that concerned MGM. Even as late as 1951 Julie's songs were associated with Helen Morgan, who had originated the role on the stage and 1936 film versions of Show Boat. Morgan had a dark distinctive mezzo-soprano sound and Annette Warren, whose vocals are used in the 1951 film, sounded similar to Morgan. I love Gardner's rawer version of Julie's songs, especially "Bill", which has a tragic poignancy appropriate to Gardner's still unsurpassed actin
re: Why Arent' Actors Dubbed In Movie Musicals Anymore?
 Dec 3 2009, 06:10:06 PM
The practice of dubbing vocals in films was not always done because the actor was unable to sing for themselves. Sometimes the studio felt that the star's singing voice did not match their on screen persona. Eleanor Powell, one of the greatest film dancers of all time had an accomplished Broadway belt singing voice but in the mid 1930s Alice Faye was the rage so MGM dubbed Powell's vocals with a sultry voice similar to Faye's.

Composer Doris Fisher insisted that Rita Hayworth had a mo

re: Is Cate B. way better than Vivien Leigh was in STREETCAR?
 Dec 3 2009, 06:01:12 PM
Probably not, but Leigh's performance is recorded for posterity and Cate's is for now, live, in the moment, and that should be enough reason to be excited about seeing one of today's finest actresses in her interpretation of the role.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You