Barbra Streisand as Mame

alxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
#1Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 4:53am

So lets say they do a movie remake of mame (musical). I think Babs should play mame. What do you guys think ? :)

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#2re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 7:50am

I think she is far too old to play Mame. Lucille Ball was 63 when she did the film version in 1974 and was too old then. Barbra is 67 now. Perhaps 10 years ago, Babs would have been great, but not at this time.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 8:14am

Streisand cannot convincingly play a WASP.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#3re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 8:18am

She is far too old. Megan Mullally would make a great Mame, but would probably not be cast unless it were a TV movie. Such a TV movie wouldn't be a bad idea, with Harriet Harris as Vera and Boyd Gaines as Beau. If Rachel Dratch can sing well enough, she'd make a good Gooch. I think I read somewhere that Dratch was considered for Paulette in Legally Blonde. Gooch's singing is far less demanding.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#4re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 8:55am

Streisand, at any age, is completely wrong for the role.

boombaboy
#5re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 9:20am

I agree, Streisand is totally wrong. For a Broadway revival or even a film, I would love to see Christine Ebersole play Mame. Dazzling voice, madcap personality, and most importantly, the kind of class that Angela Lansbury brought to the role. IMO Ebersole could really deliver the goods.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#6re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 9:29am

Ebersole played Mame at the Papermill, and was far from terrific. Thank God that Kelly Bishop was her Vera.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#7re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 9:48am

Babs is now at the right age for Dolly. I'd like to see her do that one on stage now.

Mullally hasn't shown me she can do anything but play Karen in costume. I can't even begin to imagine her as Mame. Harris was a FABULOUS Vera at the KC.

Streep's 59 but she can play anything and she's got a great voice. I'd love to see her do a musical on B'way - so why not Mame?

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Updated On: 2/19/09 at 09:48 AM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#8re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 10:11am

NO! Not a good idea. She was not that great on Hello Dolly movie.. leave my favorite Jerry Herman musical (MAME) alone!

J*

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#9re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 10:16am

I thought Harriet Harris was a terrible Vera at Kennedy Center, and Baranski was an even worse Mame. The whole production was misguided, and miscast.

#10re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 10:19am

Barbra has said she is far too young to play an old lady like Mame. I hear she hasn't ruled out playing Glinda in the wicked film.

Adjie Profile Photo
Adjie
#11re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 11:08am

Joe,
Thank you for the laugh! I love me some Babs but I don't see Mame.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#12re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 11:55am

Michelle Lee

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#13re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 12:26pm

Michelle Lee is 66, and like Streisand, far too old for Mame.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#14re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 12:29pm

But Mame is AGELESS!
I didn't see Christine Ebersole as Mame. What exactly was wrong with her performance?

Gothampc
#15re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 12:52pm

Set aside her age for a moment, Barbra's ego is too big for the role.

In addition to Mame's solos, Barbra would require

"We Need A Little Christmas" as a solo

"Bosom Buddy" and "Man in the Moon" as a solo

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#16re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 1:09pm

Her production company bought the then tv rights to "Mame" back in either 1998 or 1999. Nothing ever came of it. Just like the rumors that circulate from time to time about Cher. OH, GOOD GOD! Could you even imagine......UGH!

Barbra is completely wrong for the role. She'd be a FAB Gooch! But, she's too old. Bette Midler gets mentioned from time to time as well. Again, totally wrong for the role, but would be a FAB Gooch.

Gothampc
#17re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 1:24pm

Catherine Zeta-Jones is the best choice at this time.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#18re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 1:25pm

Yes, CZJ would be a wonderful Mame!

Insider2 Profile Photo
Insider2
#19re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 1:26pm

This idea has been floating around for years, and as mentioned in the above post, Cher has also been named as a possibility more than once. As for Bette Midler as Gooch, what are you drinking, because I want some(!) Don't you remember that the major plot point about Gooch is that she gets pregnant? Midler is 64!

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#20re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 1:59pm

I would love to see Patti as Vera.

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#21re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 2:11pm

YUCK!

(and WV - I couldn't disagree more about the Kennedy Center "Mame". Everything about the performance was fabulous. I went back 3 times to see it and I still think it should have moved to Broadway.)

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#22re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 2:15pm

I'd love to see Barbra in any musical movie, but not Mame.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 2/19/09 at 02:15 PM

Ed_Mottershead
#23re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 2:45pm

Although it's a shame that the Lucille Ball version was such a mess (Angela should have made the movie, but I won't go there), I'm not sure that Mame is still a viable property. ALL Mames, musical or non-musical, will always bear comparison with Rosalind Russell (particulary since it's readily available). A safe age for playing Mame is around 45, give or take a few. And frankly, I just can't come up with anyone in that age range who has the credentials (singer, dancer, comedienne, actress and charisma) to be a good musical Mame.

BroadwayEd
Updated On: 2/19/09 at 02:45 PM

kyleorlando Profile Photo
kyleorlando
#24re: Barbra Streisand as Mame
Posted: 2/19/09 at 3:04pm

I still think Cybil Sheppard would be a great Mame.

Current Avatar: Me.
Current Saying: What do you mean it isn't enough being pretty? Have you seen my headshots?!?

Videos