pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 21

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

Yankeefan007
#5002007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:45pm

Michele isn't even in the stratosphere of nominations.

Ebersole
MacDonald
Monk
Murphy
Chenoweth/Block/Bundy

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#5012007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:46pm

There have been two previews in NY so far.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#5022007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:47pm

I just can't picture Lea Michelle getting a slot over Laura Bell Bundy only that when I hear Legally Blonde the first thing I think of is Laura Bell Bundy because she is the title role, when I hear Spring Awakening, Lea Michelle isn't the first thing that comes to mind...

FutureAladdin, first off, it's Lea Michele. Second, have you seen SPRING AWAKENING? Have you seen LEGALLY BLONDE?

I know that, but she gets more recognition than Lea Michelle does so I'm only predicting that if it was between laura and Michelle, that they would pick Laura

Laura hasn't gotten ANY recognition yet, as the reviews have not come out yet. San Francisco reviews are irrelevant to New York critics' reviews.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 4/4/07 at 09:47 PM

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#5032007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?

it has nothing to do with recognition. just because more people are familiar with laura, doesn't mean she'll get the nom over lea. performance is everything, of course.
and honestly, lea's performance will prevail over laura's. it's a much more taxing role. not to belittle laura's.. but i just think it requires more skill to play wendla. and again, the roles are very different, but i just don't think the role of 'elle woods: attourney' is really tony award-winning material.
say what you like, but that is my opinion.

i wish everyone the best of luck!

even though we all know ebsersole will take the cake anyway.. even if it is much to my dismay.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#5042007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?

Not to mention previews in SF.... Updated On: 4/4/07 at 09:47 PM

Yankeefan007
#5052007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:50pm

Lea's part is too small.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#5062007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:51pm

Thank you Yankeefan007!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#5072007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:52pm

Though, I do agree with Yankee that Michele won't be nominated. Not to say she isn't talented, but I think her part might be to small compared to some of the other roles this year. If she were featured, she would most likely get nominated.

Annd, dramaqueen, out of curiosity, why would Ebersole winning be "to your dismay'. Have you seen her in GG?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Wanna Be A Foster
#5082007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:54pm

Wendla and Melchior are clearly the two lead roles in SPRING AWAKENING. Wendla in SPRING AWAKENING is a heck of a lot more central to the show than Debra Monk's role in CURTAINS.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
Updated On: 4/4/07 at 09:54 PM

Yankeefan007
#5092007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:58pm

Lea's a very talented (and very good looking) girl.

However, Wendla is NOT a leading role. The producers did her a disservice by putting her up for it when she could have EASILY scored a featured nomination.

Wanna Be A Foster
#5102007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:01pm

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

-Kad

Yankeefan007
#5112007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:08pm

And we'll agree to disagree respectfully.
I should have clarified my statement - Wendla is not a leding role in the same sense as Ebersole, Block, MacDonald, etc. Of course she's the female lead in that show.

dramaqueen2
#5122007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:15pm

wonderwizard, it's not that i don't respect ebersole's talent here, i am just rooting for lea on this one. i agree that she may seem to be a longshot.. however i believe [no pun intended] that she is one of the most talented actresses on broadway right now.
i also think that she may be snubbed because she is so much younger than the other prospects. compared to debra monk she is like a baby [not that monk is ancient or anything, she is just way more recognized]; however, if you compare monk and michele's roles.. it is obvious who the nomination SHOULD go to. but it isn't always about that. politics always have some kind of impact. debra has paid her dues more than michele. and not just debra.. others in the category as well.
anyway, i'm just trying to say i think it is unfortunate that such an incredible role played so perfectly by such an incredible actress may go unrecognized.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#5132007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:21pm

Wendla and Melchoir are the leads in Spring Awakening. Lea's role is definitely not as large as Ebersole's but she does have good material. In my opinion, she has the best material to work with out of the actresses who aren't locks. Aladdin, you don't get that the committee won't automatically give Ms.Bundy a nomination just because she is playing Elle Woods.

I'm not saying Lea Michele will get a nomination because it is likely she won't but, I think she has the best material that can get her a surprise nomination out of Bundy and Block. Sure Block and Bundy have title roles but I don't know if they have the best material to work with(I know I've said that too much). I think Bundy's role isn't serious enough to warrant a nomination.

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#5142007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:26pm

I just have to say in response to Dramaqueen's post that I do feel some are underestimating Lea Michele just because she is younger.

iliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
#5152007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:28pm

Yankee, it's McDonald

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#5162007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:29pm

"Aladdin, you don't get that the committee won't automatically give Ms.Bundy a nomination just because she is playing Elle Woods. "
I never used the word "automatic" ever, and I never said they were giving her a nomination just because she is playing Elle...I just said that out of Lea and Laura I think they would pick Laura because she has more material to work with and she is the title role so that gives her a lot more room to work with her character...I never said that she would automatically get a nomination like you thought I might have said...I don't doubt Lea Michelle has talent, she's awesome..I just think that if it came down to Lea and Laura that Laura would get picked because I think Laura has a lot more to work with, but that's just what I think you have every right to think other..
Updated On: 4/4/07 at 10:29 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#5172007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:31pm

It comes down to performances not large roles. I don't think you are aware of Ms.Michele's material she has to work with.

dramaqueen2
#5182007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:33pm

"I think Laura has a lot more to work with,"

aladdin, i couldn't disagree more. i think the complete opposite. i think the character of elle woods compared to wendla bergman is very shallow. wendla's character goes much deeper than elle's.. and as far as "having something to work with" as you say.. i think that would go under lea michele's wendla.. not bundy's elle. wendla is much more substantial than elle.. i don't see how you can say what you are..

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#5192007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:34pm

"It comes down to performances not large roles. I don't think you are aware of Ms.Michele's material she has to work with."
You're right, I don't know Michele's material so that might change my opinion if I saw her, but from what I've seen Laura has a lot to work with so that's just why I would pick Laura...I haven't seen Michele's performance so I can't assume anything about her yet...
Updated On: 4/4/07 at 10:34 PM

dramaqueen2
#5202007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:41pm

ALADDIN:

"I haven't seen Michele's performance so I can't assume anything about her yet... "

BUT

"I think they would pick Laura because she has more material to work with"

i'm pretty sure you just contradicted yourself.. if you haven't seen lea [which i highly suggest doing, it's the best thing on broadway right now] then how can you assume that laura has more material to work with? because if you had all the information.. you would clearly see your mistake. you admitted to not having seen lea and cannot assume anything about her yet.. but you also say laura has more to work with.. so if you just admitted to not having seen lea.. you can't compare laura to her, therefore you can't make an accurate judgement.

phew.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#5212007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:44pm

"ALADDIN:

"I haven't seen Michele's performance so I can't assume anything about her yet... "

BUT

"I think they would pick Laura because she has more material to work with"

i'm pretty sure you just contradicted yourself.. if you haven't seen lea [which i highly suggest doing, it's the best thing on broadway right now] then how can you assume that laura has more material to work with? because if you had all the information.. you would clearly see your mistake. you admitted to not having seen lea and cannot assume anything about her yet.. but you also say laura has more to work with.. so if you just admitted to not having seen lea.. you can't compare laura to her, therefore you can't make an accurate judgement.

phew. " Yes I see my mistake, I haven't seen Lea so I don't know what she has to work with but I did say I think laura has more to work with so I see my faults.....GAHH I need to go see SA so I can make my true judgement between the two, but because I've seen Laura of course I am going to pick her because I haven't seen Michele...btw how long is Lea's contract with SA?

Nick Plasia
#5222007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:51pm

Lea Michele is nothing special. She's
like a whiny girl in a suburban temple show.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#5232007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:57pm

I'm praying that Michele is nominated!!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#5242007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:58pm

As I am praying Bundy is nominated!

Videos